SVT electrical issue power shut at ~5k RPM - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 461
What I Drive: E46 M3

Points 1,794, Level 24
Points: 1,794, Level: 24 Points: 1,794, Level: 24 Points: 1,794, Level: 24
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 petik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Question SVT electrical issue power shut at ~5k RPM

Having a really hard time finding what I think is an electrical issue on an SVT focus racecar. After doing a clutch job (i now suspect this was unrelated) the car started exhibiting a complete cut-out at ~5k RPM. I'll get into some detail of the behavior and what I tried to fix this below:

Some background
The car is a fully stripped and race prepped (for champ and wrl endurance racing). All interior is gutted and corresponding electricals pulled. The car also already ran some events without any issues, so this isn't a "i just built this and it's broken" thing.

Issue:
1) Car MUST be fully warmed up and soaked with heat under the hood. If the car is cold, or even somewhat warm, the issue will not appear.
2) Issue only occurs between 4900 and 5300 RPM

What happens as you rev up (regardless of load), the power will completely cut out - similar feeling to turning the key to off position (no spark?). It doesn't feel like clipping the rev limiter or speed governor. The battery light comes on when this happens, and there's no response to throttle as you would expect when there's no spark. Once the RPMs drop down to ~idle, the car fires back up and can run.

The only active code the card is P1518 - IMRC stuck open (and it is)

Video:
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Things I tried so far:
- Replaced all ground wires under the hood
- Replaced both crank and cam position sensors
- Tried swapping the ECU with another stock (no tune)
- Pulled all but 3 fuses (instrument cluster 36+41 and OBD 48) and 1 relay (ignition 17) in the passenger compartment
- Pulled all non-essential fuses and relays from the engine compartment
- Unplugged the IMRC and disconnected the cable
- Unplugged the alternator pigtail to determine if there's an electrical issue there
- Replaced the alternator

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. I'm pretty well convinced it is something under the hood as it requires a full warmup for the behavior to appear.

Tom @1turbofocus or anyone else, have you per chance seen this?

'15 F-350 diesel tow machines
In a past life: '02 ZX3 - Built motor, GT28RS, LSD, 4.06 gear, Spec stg3 clutch
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 461
What I Drive: E46 M3

Points 1,794, Level 24
Points: 1,794, Level: 24 Points: 1,794, Level: 24 Points: 1,794, Level: 24
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 petik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Just wanted to post a resolution update to this. Thanks to Tom, I was able to root cause the issue to a bad diode contact in the fusebox (there are 3 black diodes in the SVT fusebox). Simply re-seating the first one (D1) fixed this issue.
'15 F-350 diesel tow machines
In a past life: '02 ZX3 - Built motor, GT28RS, LSD, 4.06 gear, Spec stg3 clutch
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in