Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   2006 ZX3 Intermittent Fuel Issues (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/811239-2006-zx3-intermittent-fuel-issues.html)

DirtyDave 03-12-2019 11:39 AM

2006 ZX3 D20 Intermittent Fuel Issues

My 2006 ZX3 2.0 is having some Intermittent Fuel Issues. Acts like it is running out of fuel occasionally.

It might happen for a couple days off and on, then not happen again for months.
Driving down the highway it will act like its running out of fuel and I'll have to pull over. Stumbles and wont accelerate above an idle. Rarely will it kill the engine. I pull over, shut off for a minute. Starts and runs perfect. May or may not happen again that day. No codes.

Sometimes it will cut out if I drop a gear to pass and accelerate hard. It may do it for a second or 2 and then be back to normal?

New fuel filter made no difference.
Maybe fuel pump going bad?

DirtyDave 03-13-2019 10:36 AM

From past experiences on other vehicles the Fuel Pump just quits when it goes bad. Either works or it Doesn't. That's why I'm not sure about the pump.

Could be a pick-up issue I guess?

Guess I'll have to drop the tank when I have time and check it out.

DirtyDave 04-03-2019 09:30 AM

Maybe it's not a fuel issue. Maybe it's an air issue.
My tumble flaps are making noise, could they be acting up and closing when they shouldn't?

Smalls89 04-03-2019 03:47 PM

Have you changed the filter recently? Could be the maf sensor, have you checked the plug or ever cleaned it with maf cleaner?

amc49 04-03-2019 04:03 PM

'Fuel Pump just quits when it goes bad. Either works or it Doesn't.'

Nope, not even. Some can falter around for a while before they finally give up to stall you out again and again then go back to working fine. Like 50 different ways they can go out.

If ethanol in the fuel could be accumulated water in that too. The 'good' part they don't tell you when telling you how great it is.

DirtyDave 04-03-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls89 (Post 11371601)
Have you changed the filter recently? Could be the maf sensor, have you checked the plug or ever cleaned it with maf cleaner?

I did the home made short ram with cone air filter recently. Had the problem before and after the mod. I cleaned the MAF sensor when I did this.

Changed Spark Plugs and Fuel Filter also

DirtyDave 04-03-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 11371613)
'Fuel Pump just quits when it goes bad. Either works or it Doesn't.'

Nope, not even. Some can falter around for a while before they finally give up to stall you out again and again then go back to working fine. Like 50 different ways they can go out.

If ethanol in the fuel could be accumulated water in that too. The 'good' part they don't tell you when telling you how great it is.

OK thanks. My Chevy trucks in the past had the fuel pumps go out and they just quit all together. That's why I said that. Good to know.

DirtyDave 04-04-2019 07:09 AM

I think I've ruled out any air issues. I pulled off the vac line for the actuator so that my flaps would stay open all the time. Car ran a little different at lower rpm, but barely noticeable. The bogging showed its head on my way home from work yesterday, so it's not the flaps acting up.

Back to a fuel issue.
Now that I think of it, the fuel pump and gas tank was replaced after the car sat for 5-6 years. New fuel pump has about 2 years on it, but this issues has been intermittent for about a year now. Mechanic did not put in a motorcraft pump

DirtyDave 04-05-2019 09:15 AM

To throw another curve ball in here, It does it more in warmer weather. It didn't do it all winter except for the odd day when it would get above 70 degrees.
Now that its warming up around here, it's happening more. Cool Mornings driving to work it never does it. Evenings when its warmer out, it stumbles occasionally.
Intermittent issues are the worst......

From lack of responses in this thread, I guess everyone is just as stumped as me? Or its in the wrong section?

I should probably just put a new fuel pump in it and see what happens

amc49 04-05-2019 03:01 PM

Different engine on early ones but missing when warmer temps is commonly an ignition problem.