2013 focus dps6 Fork and Clutch questions P07A3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 235378
What I Drive: 04 2.3 5spd 146k 05 2.0 auto wifes

Points 548, Level 10
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 RELLIKPIR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 focus dps6 Fork and Clutch questions P07A3

After doing the dam clutch and actuator A and putting it back together it failed the adaptive learn but I forced it to learn and after a rough 20 mins of short low throttle drags It drove great for 2 days 100 miles before being a turd again. Now a friendly ford tech is confident it was a bad fork all along. Fork A (skipping gear 3-5)

Can it be addressed beside removing by manual play though the actuator and maybe a few drops of lube/wd-40 to unstick it? Does the Clutch have to be Re-Locked to be reused or can I just pop it off and put it to the side for a couple minutes.

P07A3 if anyone wondered. It was the only code before and after. I still think the clutch possibly due to the bad fork over stressing the other clutch disc causing it to not only skip gears but to not grab the gears it was using well.

Ford Tech Tips I gained so far. Actuators almost never actually fail. I guess the clutch forks do around 80k.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 548, Level 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
No one knows anything? Talked tno the Shop manager? He thought is might be internal damaged caused by a defective TCM Of course not under warranty.... I just wish I could talk to someone that actually had a clue. My symptoms are super consistent and described. I can't be the only one with this specific issue. P07A3. Skipps 3 and 5. 1 2 and Reverse are fine. It is intermittent so I'm thinking electrical. Drove it to work as a test to clearly understand the symptoms. To work it was a bitch all the way. On the way home it used all the gears just fine. Since the clutch is new I didn't drive it hard but skipping gears is obviously hard on clutch B doing so much work... The Code before and after the clutch and actuator is the same. We cleaned the shit out of the inside and the shift forks during the clutch change.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88662
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, SE

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cmoore Good Standing Member
We have a 2013 SE that had the TCM go out. Ford fixed it under warranty. My understanding is Ford extended the warranty on the TCM to 150,000 miles. Ford even paid for the tow truck to get it to the dealer. Are you talking to a Ford dealer or independent shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 548, Level 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
TCM replaced 3 months ago. I suspect internal damage. I found one video and the shop manager also suggested it based on my symptoms.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX5, '14 Dodge Dart Aero

Points 599, Level 11
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 13 sykozis Great Standing Member
The clutch actuator levers can not be damaged by the TCM. It's physically impossible.

To replace the clutch actuator levers, you have to remove the clutch from the transmission. The clutch must be re-locked before being reinstalled to prevent damage to the clutch assembly.

The clutch actuator motors fail quite regularly. The clutch actuator levers aren't as prone to failing, but do in fact fail. They fail faster if not torque'd properly when reinstalled after input shaft seal replacement.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 548, Level 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 7%

I confirmed with the Poster of the video in comments and with the dealer this is indicative of the issue I am having with the code after replacing the clutch and actuator A. Appearantly the Fix is to replace the Case. I'm going to take a good look inside and see if a bit of aluminum welding could fix it.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX5, '14 Dodge Dart Aero

Points 599, Level 11
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 13 sykozis Great Standing Member
Ok. Let me explain this.

There is Clutch Actuator Motor A and Clutch Actuator Motor B. There is Clutch Actuator Lever A and Clutch Actuator Lever B. The Clutch Actuator Levers are controlled by the Clutch Actuator Motors.

There is also Shift Actuator Motor A and Shift Actuator Motor B. These are inside the TCM. The Shift Actuators move the shift forks and are inside of the transmission.

Before you go wasting money... Did you actually inspect the Clutch Actuator Levers for properly operation? Typically, P07A3 is caused by a faulty Clutch Actuator Lever or faulty Clutch Actuator Motor.

Where exactly in the Adaptive Learning process was it failing?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 548, Level 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Thanks for trying to help. If I sound defensive it is frustration from the generally limited professional information available due to the fact that in the end repair is more than the value of the car or it is in house. I mean litterally like only 2 videos exist for the clutch. The internals there is nothing I have found of high quality.

I do understand the difference between Clutch and Shift Actuators. Doesn't mean the Transmission understands what is wrong it just throws a code. In a year or 2 there could be a new recall for the Case. When Hard non wear internals are failing it really is a complete failure of engineering.

1st gear run by clutch actuator A also Reverse? works just fine. Only 3 and 5 have an INTERMITTENT skipping issue(as in Transmission refused to use them so it goes old school single clutch and does it poorly. It changes from day to day... Drive cycle to Drive cycle. Since the Clutch actuator and fork literally have 1 identical job and it does it fine for half the gears it normally operates. It is sensible to believe the CODE isn't giving a proper diagnostic information. Also the fork kicked back just fine during the unlock process for the new clutch. Between the dealers shop manager and 3rd party proof in video provided. Just because you haven't heard of this failure yet doesn't mean it isn't common. It still drives. Most people wouldn't even know the details of what the symptoms are. They would think it was just slipping and lugging due to the issues with a DCT trying to do a humans job of SCT. When the transmission is designed to never be out of gear this causes an ugly situation. I'm more and more sure it isn't the fork since it was torqued and cleaned. Unfortunately the time I lost the first round with it has put my life behind and going back to it just isn't in the cards yet. After Tuesday I may try again. Verify the case damage or lack of such before proceeding. Great transmission when it Fckn works which is not most of its life.

It failed clutch travel test A and then B and the other test. Not sure if it is A causing the following tests to auto fail.

Last edited by RELLIKPIR; 12-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sedan Gray

Points 10, Level 1
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 Bbechtel16 Good Standing Member
Update pls. I seem to be having a similar issue. P07A3 165,000 miles. I let Ford replace the TCM for $575 which didnā€™️t help and replaced clutch actuator A myself for $130 which also didnā€™️t help. If I knew $2k on clutches and forks / levers and labor would fix it for sure I would do it but thatā€™️s an expensive guess. Dealers seem kinda clueless.

Last edited by Bbechtel16; 05-19-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Mileage
Old 05-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 548, Level 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Is it only skipping 3 and 5? Damaged case appearantly caused by a bad TCM. What I been told. Still sitting in the garage cause I have other shit to do...
Bbechtel16 likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in