Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   Wipers won't turn off even with key out (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/802690-wipers-wont-turn-off-even-key-out.html)

LTDiesel 06-16-2018 12:34 PM

Wipers won't turn off even with key out

Hi all,
I have a 2007 LT diesel Focus as the name suggests and my wipers recently got stuck on while I was driving, to the extent that they can only be stopped by disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse (at least the fuse can be done from inside the car!). If the ignition is turned off and the key taken out they're still going!

I've done a bunch of reading which helped me locate the fuse which is 20A #129 in the diesel and found some potential reasons for the fault but I want to know if under normal circumstances the wiper motor is constantly supplied power, so whether the problem could be resolved by replacing just the wiper motor.

I've had the switch for wipers out of the steering column/unplugged and it made no difference, cleaned some corrosion off the negative battery terminal and cleaned out some gunk+water from around the wiper motor. I don't think there are relays that I can swap like I've read some other models do. Low battery was another possible cause I read and my battery is just over 3 yrs old but has been tested as good at a shop.

I've read it could be due to a PCM fault and that could need replacing along with new/reprogrammed keys which can be very expensive. If it comes down to this I'd consider doing that myself as I've seen on youtube too for much less $. I'm booked into Ford in a couple of weeks but I'd like to sort it myself if possible and a wiper motor would probably be more like $100 than potentially well over $1000. Worst case I guess I could even add a wire and switch to the fuse point myself as a workaround.

Thanks for any info.

ArcticMynx 06-17-2018 12:06 PM

seeing its a deisel its most likely a UK/Euro version..

my help will be limited as i have a north American version...

below is a schematic of how the wipers are but please note this schematic is for the north american Focus it may differ this is to give you an idea on how it works and how its powered

https://i.gyazo.com/9e87cf302ec9f1f5...001f809bb0.jpg

LTDiesel 07-04-2018 07:57 AM

Thanks for that. I ended up having it diagnosed by Ford as a faulty Body Control Module which I've replaced today and sorted the problem. At least I didn't buy another wiper motor for no reason and it seems the BCM does have a constant supply of power to feed through to the wiper motor in the event of this fault.

If I had done my switch idea although cheaper it would have been a makeshift solution and wouldn't have allowed for intermittent wipers + when switching them off they could end up in the middle of the stroke across the windscreen which would be annoying.

I was also able to associate my keys with the new module with the help of youtube watch?v=wyx1WDGNbF8 since they didn't work initially. Strangely when pressing the lock button now it doesn't flash the lights twice like it used to and only lights up when unlocking but I guess that must be a function of the new board.

LTDiesel 08-25-2018 03:31 AM

Hi all,
Just a follow up in case it helps anyone down the track. My replacement BCM also seemed to mean my cruise control stopped working. I decided to open up the old one and there was a relay quite close to the wiper fuse 129 on the PCB inside. I did a search and ended up ordering an NEC EP2F-B3G1ST Automotive Relay 12VDC 30A 225ohm 10 Pins for around $10.

Once I got it I de-soldered the old one (you will need a solder sucker or something to remove a part with 10 connections to the board) and soldered in the new one and put the lot back together and in the car. After reconnecting the battery the wipers did not run uncommanded and after testing the switch operates all wiper functions normally, the cruise control works and the lights flash twice when I lock it with the key remote!

Mission accomplished

I guess there may be either a fuse problem or another faulty relay with the replacement BCM I got which I can now sell as a partly faulty spare... or if I find out what's wrong with it maybe I can fix that too and get my money back if there was a buyer :)

Wagner Cruz 05-08-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTDiesel (Post 11328129)
Hi all,
Just a follow up in case it helps anyone down the track. My replacement BCM also seemed to mean my cruise control stopped working. I decided to open up the old one and there was a relay quite close to the wiper fuse 129 on the PCB inside. I did a search and ended up ordering an NEC EP2F-B3G1ST Automotive Relay 12VDC 30A 225ohm 10 Pins for around $10.

Once I got it I de-soldered the old one (you will need a solder sucker or something to remove a part with 10 connections to the board) and soldered in the new one and put the lot back together and in the car. After reconnecting the battery the wipers did not run uncommanded and after testing the switch operates all wiper functions normally, the cruise control works and the lights flash twice when I lock it with the key remote!

Mission accomplished

I guess there may be either a fuse problem or another faulty relay with the replacement BCM I got which I can now sell as a partly faulty spare... or if I find out what's wrong with it maybe I can fix that too and get my money back if there was a buyer :)

Hi, sorry to bring and old topic, but, im facing this same issue with my car.. A focus 2010 gasoline/ethanol (Brazil version)

When i turn my wipeer on, they go ok for a while, then suddenly it stucks on position 2, and wont turn off, onlyl way to do this is by disconnecting the internal fuse box (or confort module or whatever the hell they name this... lol)

I figure out that it could be an internal relay, because when trying to find the relay i found the fuse first, but if i remove the fuse and place it again, the wipers are still on.

If anyone had this issue and found another solution other than the relay replacement ill appreciate the help. But as far as i can see, the only solution is the same as @LTDiesel did... replace the relay and everything works fine again.

Tks!

LTDiesel 05-12-2019 08:45 AM

Hi, When I was researching my problem there was more info available around the internet about the petrol version and I think I read there should be a removable relay in the panel in the engine bay (not inside the cabin).

If the relay is contained inside the BCM on the petrol version like my diesel then I just opened the BCM and replaced the relay that was physically closest to the fuse that stopped it.