Turn signal not working with headlights on? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 356961
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 sfcarlock Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turn signal not working with headlights on?

I'm having a very strange electrical problem in my 2001 ZX3.

I pulled off my front bumper cover which is now reinstalled. Since then, with the headlights off my turn signals all work, but right turn signal indicator blinks twice as fast. When I turn the headlights on, the right turn signal indicator stays solid all the time, even with the turn signal off and the right running light (in the grill) does not work, right side marker does not work and they do not blink with the turn signal on. I do not have LED headlights and I checked the resistance of the ground at the running light to the chassis and it's 0.00. I double checked all plugs and unplugged and replugged them back in. Anyone have any advice?
Could this be related to the umbilical? My turn signals stopped working completely and I soldered new wire into the umbilical and now they are working 99% of the time, but still have an occasional problem.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sfcarlock; 03-01-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 356961
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 sfcarlock Good Standing Member
I don't understand what caused this problem, but after probing wires all night, I realized that there was voltage going to the ground wire leading to the running light. This was not true for the side marker and turn signal on the tail light. It may be unrelated to removing the bumper cover, but statistically, I doubt it. I severed the ground wire to the running light and added a new ground. It's all good now!

Here is another post I made on Facebook in case another member wants to know my symptoms in the future.
"I am having the weirdest electrical problem with the Focus. Right turn signal indicator blinks fast but all lights work with the headlights off. With headlights on, indicator is solid and running lights and side markers don't work on that side and don't flash with turn signal on. Hazard lights work, all flash normally, but right side bulbs are dim in the front. All the sudden, beeping is coming from a speaker in the fuse block under the dash unless I pull the right turn signal fuse. Checked voltage of all wires at the turn signal and I am getting 7.55 volts on the ground wire, but normal voltage at the other wires. Resistance from the power wire to the ground shows infinite. The flashers are in the hazard switch, which I switched with a spare and that doesn't fix the problem. I have a spare turn signal switch and that doesn't fix the problem. I switched all bulbs from left/right side and it's still on the right side, so it's not a bulb problem. There is not corrosion on any of the plugs. The wires going through the umbilical to the hatch are 99% good. I'm usually good with electrical, but I am at a complete loss ��"

Last edited by sfcarlock; 03-02-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 15,800, Level 80
Points: 15,800, Level: 80 Points: 15,800, Level: 80 Points: 15,800, Level: 80
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 51 Marde Excellent Standing Member
Hmmmm...???

Sorry you had no Reply from FF.

My brain is too tired, and I am too busy to give you a good reply. Maybe tomorrow I will look at this again to get a better understanding of what caused your initial problem & your fix. Or not, and it was a bad ground?

Either way, your got it fixed, right? -Great job man!

My name is currently Toast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414415
What I Drive: 2002 wagon

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 joshs Good Standing Member
Troubleshooting signal problem

Hmm. I'm having almost this exact same problem, with a 2002 Focus wagon, except that we don't have any bumper covers or any other modifications up there. We checked the fuses and they're good it sounds like I have to find a voltmeter and see if there's voltage in the ground leading to the right running light?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 15,800, Level 80
Points: 15,800, Level: 80 Points: 15,800, Level: 80 Points: 15,800, Level: 80
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 51 Marde Excellent Standing Member
I did not read the OP posts, but, when I hear Wagon AND tail light problems the first answer is always; Check the health of the wiring inside the rubber boot umbilical between the car body and the rear hatch door (lift-gate).

The wiring inside this spot is almost always damaged (mine was).
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 5,488, Level 47
Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 17 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
I did not read the OP posts, but, when I hear Wagon AND tail light problems the first answer is always; Check the health of the wiring inside the rubber boot umbilical between the car body and the rear hatch door (lift-gate).

The wiring inside this spot is almost always damaged (mine was).
Poster has wagon but did not mention tail lights. In fact he did not really explain his issue except that it was the 'exact same problem' as OP from 2018 that had a ZX3. I alway recommend that all post their specific vehicles issue in a NEW thread and provide as much info/background as possible - something not provided by this poster.

Paul
Old 07-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2007 ZX5 boring dark grey

Points 2,080, Level 27
Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 14 Leora83 Great Standing Member
The bumper cover is just the big plastic body-coloured piece, not an aftermarket modification.

It's easiest with a multimeter, definitely. Lots of decent YouTube videos out there to show you how to use one if you're unfamiliar. You don't need a high-end one, so get a Harbor Freight $10 special and you'll have all you need for basic electrical diagnosis.

Start with a visual check of each wire and connection. Unplug every bulb, clean its connectors, make sure the socket isn't caked with corrosion, check wires for breaks or fraying, clean up grounds.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in