Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   Need help with bouncing speedometer; with video (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/787409-need-help-bouncing-speedometer%3B-video.html)

wilddoktor 07-13-2018 08:59 PM

Thanks guys; I need to get another hex (or torx) bit and try again to remove the coils (my first attempt twisted the splines right off my bit, and didn't move the bolt on the coil mount!) to inspect them and the wiring that goes to them.

I also like the "gauge test with the enging running" suggestion; I'll try that. Sounds like I likely have multiple issues.

amc49 07-14-2018 10:20 PM

Go back to your 'idle too low' thread, I have posted something there for you.

wilddoktor 07-17-2018 09:07 PM

Small update:

I tried the "gauge test with the engine running" suggestion; the digital speedo jumps in concert with the analog needle.

Thanks @amc49; I also replied to the other thread.

wilddoktor 07-18-2018 06:14 PM

Just for grins I threw my cig lighter voltmeter in this morning, wondering if the voltage changes when the speedo bounces and the car stumbles.

Nope...voltage stays steady.

wilddoktor 08-04-2018 12:45 AM

Well, interesting turn of events.

I let my car sit for 5 days. I got in it yesterday morning to go to work and it was idling really high...like 2k...then idled down to about 1200. Strange. Then I backed out and headed off to work. First stop sign, it didn't idle down to death...just stayed around 1100. When I left the stop, it didn't stumble as I added throttle like usual. Another stop light, same behavior.

From there it's the onramp to the freeway...a little stumbling between 2k-5k rpm, but about 1/4 as "harsh". Strange!

Then I noticed the check engine light was on.

I drove it yesterday and today, and I can categoricaly say that it drives 10x better with the check engine light on than it did before the light came on.

Still has that stumble, and still dies when I apply throttle from idle, but only about 1/4 as much as before.

Welcome to my Weird Al Ford Focus!!

*sigh*

wilddoktor 04-25-2019 10:37 AM

Update:

A few days ago, #2 sparkplug ejected from the head as I was driving down the freeway.

Sav-A-Thread, a long and short insert, and a few hours of my friend's labor got that fixed up.

But afterwards, the car would only fire on 3 cyls. The plug *not* firing turned out to be #4, not #2 like I would have thought.

After swapping plugs, I figured it was time to replace the coil. The coil was one of those "fixes" that have been suggested to fix my stuttering / needle jumping issue, and I went to replace it about 6 months ago, but the only t25 torx bit I owned twisted like aluminum foil when I tried to get the coil out, and I never got around to replacing it.

So I went and bought a coil and a new t25 torx screwdriver last night, and 45 minutes later I had a car that was running on all 4 cyls.

I took it for a test drive, and to my shock and glee, the stuttering is GONE!!!

Drove it to work this morning, and ZERO stuttering or needle jumping!

I'm so relieved!!

(It hasn't fixed the idle issues, but I believe an IAC (either cleaning the existing one or getting a new one) will fix that.)

Woo Hoo!!

Foushboy 05-09-2019 10:19 PM

Glad you got that coil replaced, it is notorious for screwing up with the symptom's you stated. The IAC is such a pita to get to just for cleaning I'd highly suggest replacing. When I took mine off there was so much build up that three cans of throttle body cleaner still had muck running out of it. I had replaced it, but wanted to see if I could clean it for reuse at a later point.