Zetec 2.0 Spark Plug Popping Out - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 357881
What I Drive: Blue 2002 Ford Escape Zetec 2.0

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 L200B Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Zetec 2.0 Spark Plug Popping Out

So today I was driving and one of my spark plugs came out of the head. Car was running fine before hand. I didn't have a wrench on me so I had it towed home. Put the plug back in and drove it a few miles. Ran fine till the plug came out again.

The first time The gap was totally closed. I opened it back up before I re installed. When it popped out the second time the gap was closed again. It doesn't look hammered though. I haven't tried to put it back in yet. The threads were still in the head after it came out the first time. I hope they're still there now.

I haven't taken one of these engines apart. What could cause something like this?? Did I just not tighten the plug?? Even then, the gap being closed, something must be hitting it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Let's think on that again, you don't think it's possible the end of the plug hit something AFTER it came out?

Not tightened OR over tightened are the two reasons for one to come out.

First possibility you can have a few damaged threads in the head, second they're ALL damaged.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
The gap could have closed while the plug was bouncing around, I guess. I don't think it had been over tightened. I just do a little more than finger tighten. It's been a while since I changed the plugs. Like probably over a year. There was no aluminum on the plug. I think the head is stripped now though. :( I stuck a claw grabber thing in the cylinder and didn't feel anything in there. It was running fine. No knocking or anything.

Last edited by L200B; 06-04-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Try a flashlight, needed to see the threads down in the hole.

Plugs need to be tightened 'snug' by hand, but with the tapered seat type used that also means that they turn VERY little when tightening once the seat contacts. Older types with gaskets could make a quarter turn to tight as a new gasket crushed.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 523, Level 10
Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Hi L200B,

This happened to me 2 years ago I documented the fix here:

Index of /focus-2001-zetec-head-removal

It involves a number of expensive specialty tools but it is doable in your driveway. Cost is a few hundred in parts not including the fee the machine shop is going to charge. This IS an advanced engine repair job so DO NOT attempt it unless you have the time and patience to do it right. The head MUST come off because it has to be mounted in a jig to do the repair and it MUST be skin milled before going back on the engine. The block mating surface has to be completely cleaned before putting everything back.

With this engine IMHO the factory made a mistake and cut some of the plugs in too deeply on some of the heads. As a result the last thread of the plug sticks out into the cylinder a bit too far. Then over time that thread end gets carboned up and if someone removes the plug later, there is enough carbon on the end of the plug to damage the threads on the way out. This weakens them enough that high cylinder pressures will blow the plug out. In my case I was doing 110Mph for an hour on the I-5 Interstate Highway with an average RPM of around 5k when it happened. (No, I'm not saying what stretch that was. ;-)

My understanding is people that race these helicoil ALL the plug holes.

You can see this in the picture I put up of the head, the number 1 plug is definitely deeper in than the others, and on my head that's the one that blew out.

Here is my recommend procedure in dealing with these Zetecs on plug changes:

1) ALWAYS use the Motorcraft platinum plugs and DO NOT regularly change them. Once every 50k miles is fine. That should work out to no more than 4-5 plug changes over the life of the engine.

2) NEVER change plugs on a warm head. Only remove plugs when the engine has sat stone cold overnight.

3) When pulling the plug follow this procedure:

a) Loosen the plug 1 turn
b) Squirt a lot of PB Blaster into the plug hole surrounding the plug.
c) Give it several hours to penetrate down the threads.
d) REMOVE BY HAND if you have to use leverage on a ratchet when removing the plugs, something is wrong.

Good luck with it!

PS Sorry the pictures up there stink, I lost half of them when the phone I was taking them with crapped out

Last edited by tmittelstaedt; 06-04-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Instead of pulling the head off at this time. I JB Welded it. :) We'll see how it holds up.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
So I just drove it for the first time really. The check engine light is on. Which I guess I would expect after losing a cylinder. I'm going to reset it before I drive it again. It had full power. I was worried it was going to miss because the plug wouldn't have a good ground. Not an issue. I didn't let it get super hot this time. JB Weld is rated for 500
F degrees constant, 600 degrees F intermittent. That sounds relatively safe to me. I will have to drive it more to be sure.

A few days ago I bought a Chevy Tahoe. Already feeling the pain. Not as fun to drive. MUCH worse MPG. I want to be able to tow though. About the only thing I don't think the Escape can handle.

This truck was rear ended not too long ago. Cosmetic damage for the most part. If that weren't the case I'd be in a bigger hurry to swap the head. I see rebuilt heads for these for like 200 bucks online. Eventually I'll get around to swapping it out. Or maybe just buy another Escape. Great vehicle. Super fun to drive. Good MPG.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 523, Level 10
Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 7 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Well, good luck to you on that - I don't know of anyone who has successfully kept a plug in a head for any length of time using JB Weld - but I also don't know anyone who has tried it and had it fail and admitted it, either. Please post a followup if it works for 50k miles or if it fails sooner than that. At the worst, if it fails it will not have damaged the hole further.

Unfortunately with the Zetecs there's really no possible way to repair a plug thread without pulling the head. The hole is too deep in the head.

I've see a lot of criticism over the years on using helicoils for plug repair but the one in my Zetec's head has been there for around 30k miles now. And most critics of them seem to be Timesert distributors so they are biased anyway. I still maintain the effectiveness of a heli-coil for plug repair is directly affected by the experience and skill of the mechanic putting it in, which might account for why so many people criticize them - because it's easy to criticize something you don't have the skill to properly do.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 396170
Points 22, Level 1
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 1 jdub1974 Good Standing Member
OK L200B,

Can we get an update on the JB Weld repair?

Did it hold up?

I ask because at 180K miles my 2009 zetec 2.0 has popped out a plug, I tried the heli-coil repair but the head was so messed up that the heli-coil has nothing to hold on. I am considering JB Weld on the heli-coil to see if it will would it in.

Expecting only 250K on this motor, I figure if I have to remove the head at this point then I probably should just get a Reman'd motor for a swap, or overhaul this motor COMPLETELY if I have to do this.

Thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200B View Post
So I just drove it for the first time really. The check engine light is on. Which I guess I would expect after losing a cylinder. I'm going to reset it before I drive it again. It had full power. I was worried it was going to miss because the plug wouldn't have a good ground. Not an issue. I didn't let it get super hot this time. JB Weld is rated for 500
F degrees constant, 600 degrees F intermittent. That sounds relatively safe to me. I will have to drive it more to be sure.

A few days ago I bought a Chevy Tahoe. Already feeling the pain. Not as fun to drive. MUCH worse MPG. I want to be able to tow though. About the only thing I don't think the Escape can handle.

This truck was rear ended not too long ago. Cosmetic damage for the most part. If that weren't the case I'd be in a bigger hurry to swap the head. I see rebuilt heads for these for like 200 bucks online. Eventually I'll get around to swapping it out. Or maybe just buy another Escape. Great vehicle. Super fun to drive. Good MPG.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,452, Level 65
Points: 9,452, Level: 65 Points: 9,452, Level: 65 Points: 9,452, Level: 65
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
An '09 is a completely different engine...........

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in