2006 zx3 - No orange clip for shift cable? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 342554
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow ZX3

Points 27, Level 1
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 delsuckahh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 zx3 - No orange clip for shift cable?

Wasn't sure where to post this, please move it if this isn't the right spot. I've got a 2006 zx3 with (what I believe is) an issue with the mtx75 shift cables.

So back in December, I had the infamous shift tower issue happen to me, leaving me stranded. I was able to replace that pin with a bolt. However, I broke the top plastic bearing on top when putting that rod back through the plate. It didn't seem super important, so I put everything back together. Everything mostly worked, except that I had to constantly apply pressure to third gear for it to engage and very occasionally fifth would have a similar issue.

OK, so based on a thread I read on here, I should just be able to adjust the cables. I went to to adjust the cables, and the cable that controls the left-to-right movement doesn't have an adjustment. The up-and-down movement cable on the back does have that orange waffle looking thing, but not the left-to-right. It seemed that the rod had a little slack, presumably because there was no bearing on top, so I went to the junk yard in search of a new one. I was able to replace it, but the issue remains.

I had a friend help me verify part of the issue. So if you sit inside the car and shift into third and engage the clutch, it rejects the shift and the shifter returns to neutral. It kicks it out of gear. But if I reach under the hood and shift the transmission 'manually' and have my friend engage the clutch, it sticks. So that points to the issue being the cable, right?

Is there any way to adjust this cable? I don't see how this is an issue now as I've never had a problem with it until the shift tower issue. Cables aren't a wear item, right? Like it wouldn't make sense that I would need to replace it?

Only other things I've heard is that a poly mount makes shifting feel a bit crisper, could that be the issue? I don't think my trans mount has ever been replaced and its got 130k on the clock.

Last thing I can think of is everybody mentions to only put "ford honey" into the trans. When I fixed the shift tower, I had to open up the trans to fish out the pieces. I just replaced the fluid with stuff I found at O'Reilys that said it would work with ford. I don't see how fluid would be the problem as its' only third gear that has the issue....but this issue is driving me insane. I appreciate any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to General Tech Chat

I'm a little confused here, you mention an adjuster on the "up/down" cable that controls movement in & out of gear - say it doesn't seem to be going into gear adequately by cable - then don't mention adjustment of that cable.

Left/right has nothing to do with engaging a gear, other than selecting the one desired. As long as that is working OK to pick the right pair (1/2, 2/4, 5/R) you don't need to deal with that cable at all.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 02-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I'm a little confused here, you mention an adjuster on the "up/down" cable that controls movement in & out of gear - say it doesn't seem to be going into gear adequately by cable - then don't mention adjustment of that cable.

Left/right has nothing to do with engaging a gear, other than selecting the one desired. As long as that is working OK to pick the right pair (1/2, 2/4, 5/R) you don't need to deal with that cable at all.
I think you've got it backwards. From what I can tell, the cable that does not have adjustment is responsible for gear selection. It attaches to the top of the shift tower on that arm. So from N to 3rd it rotates the arm clockwise. The other cable (that does have adjustment) controls up to down. So if I go N to 1st, the other cable (with adjustment) i think moves the arm up, and the the other cable (with no adjustment) rotates the arm clockwise to go into gear.

(I tried to attach a picture since this is kind of confusing, but I don't have enough posts yet. R.I.P.)

Since the only gear that has an issue is 3rd, it doesn't make sense to me to adjust the up/down cable. The arm doesn't travel up or down, it simply rotates. The cable that controls the rotation of the arm doesn't have adjustment.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Unclear description I guess, it now seems that you are describing the movement AT the transmission, not what movement of the shift lever does as typically described.

Haven't heard of any stock that didn't have adjustment for both cables, thought we could skip that because the 'swing' of the transmission lever controlled by the up/down or fore/aft movement of the shift lever is what matters here.

Inadequate movement to engage gears in EITHER direction (front or back of the shift lever IN the car) requires adjustment to make the movement fall to the center of possibilities - so BOTH ways get full engagement.

S.R. #275
Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Oops, sorry about that. Its hard to describe without pictures. Thanks for helping me out.

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...416_detail.jpg

I can't post a picture yet, but here is a link to it. So this is the shift cable assembly that I have. I don't see any way to adjust that top cable. The top cable is what is controls the rotational movement on top of the transmission / back and forth movement from the shifter - to select the gears.

Quote:
Inadequate movement to engage gears in EITHER direction (front or back of the shift lever IN the car) requires adjustment to make the movement fall to the center of possibilities - so BOTH ways get full engagement.
So how would I go about adjusting it? Or what would I adjust?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Pictures aren't an issue, you can post at any time, BUT need to use a link to photo hosting site OR a phone app for direct posting.

If you tried the link type I'm afraid you may actually be blocked right now due to recent changes in the number of posts before posting links that were added to slow down some persistent Spam operations.

Fixed your link, so that one should be visible now.

To backtrack a bit, have you confirmed that you DON'T get adequate travel in the forward direction when moved by the cable?

And as a follow on to that, cable and lever throw can be affected by the location of the cable on the shift lever. Higher location for a 'short throw' shift lever, that doesn't need to move so far to do the job. One that happened to end up too low would limit the movement too much, never saw that mentioned but there's always a first.

P.S. - here's another current thread, with another possibility mentioned:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/g...l#post10492498

S.R. #275
Old 02-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
To backtrack a bit, have you confirmed that you DON'T get adequate travel in the forward direction when moved by the cable?
Well, I can reach down from the engine bay and turn the transmission lever to get into 3rd while my friend has the clutch in. When he lets out, third has engaged. If I use the interior shifter to select 3rd and let out the clutch, it just pops out of gear back into neutral. This leads me to believe that its the cable or interior shifter.

I've confirmed that the interior shifter base is tight. Doesn't seem to be any slop there; from the base or (for lack of a better word) the bushings.

It feels like 3rd just doesn't 'click' in all the way. It doesn't go over the 'bump'. The other gears have a bump and then it settles in. With third, I can feel the crest of the bump, but its like it doesn't fall all the way on the other side. If that makes sense.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Yep, now for you to trace down the cause by looking for the limits to movement.

BTW - lever should be straight up when centered, and it then has plenty of movement normally possible in either direction before running into interference - with the cable adjusted in height to a normal position.

S.R. #275
Old 02-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
with the cable adjusted in height to a normal position.
Hmmm. I guess I'm confused on how to adjust it. Every thread I've seen says to toggle the orange clip and that allows for adjustment. I've seen pictures to confirm, and my cables are different. How would I adjust the cable?

Forgot to address this is in my last reply, but I did try the trick where you slide the cable up the shifter to increase the travel (physics!), but it wasn't enough. I got it as high as I could without interfering with the console and still no dice.

It seems like the cable just needs be a quarter inch longer....but I don't see how I can adjust it. A buddy suggested cutting the cable and adding a threaded adjuster. Really trying to avoid that; if I botch that (which would be likely) I've heard replacing the cables are a real pain.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
For all I know your trans is shotsky, they DO tend to pop out of third as a not all THAT common failure.

Thought they all had double adjusters, but even if I went out in the Blizzard to check mine is an earlier version ('04 2.3 D with the MTX-75).

How about the cable bracket ON the trans? Located right? Not bent?

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in