ZX4 CHT problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 284697
What I Drive: 2007, silver, Ford Focus ZK4

Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 reallyford Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ZX4 CHT problem

Hey Ford fans,
I have a 2007 ZX4 Focus. The cylinder head temperature sensor that is located on top of the valve cover has a rubber cup that is cone shaped. The CHT wires from the connector lead through this cup into the rest of the wiring harness. This cup popped off and the car began making a sound that made me think I threw a rod or something horrible. Upon inspection, the electrical connector was blown off and gone as well as this rubber cup. I replaced the CHT with a new part. Here is the main problem...there is compressed air coming up through this CHT sensor port. It is hot and smells like engine exhaust and sounds pretty loud. I don't believe there should be any reason air is coming up through this sensor port. All I see down in this port are female threads to accept the male threads from the sensor. I also can't find a replacement rubber CHT cup. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
The spark plugs on either side of that sensor are in the same open space, time to pull the coils & check those!

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Hey Sailor, thanks for the reply. So you think that if the coils are bad then compression can come up through this CHT port?
I am also heading to a bone yard to see if I can even find a used rubber cone to replace the cracked one. Has part number but no parts house can make heads or tails of it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
No my friend, it sounds more like a spark plug blew out of it's hole.

One large void under the center of the valve cover for #2 & 3 spark plugs plus that sensor in the middle.

Hopefully one wasn't run in far enough for some reason and most of the threads are still good in the head.

That cover for the Sensor wire hole is a tough item to find as it normally comes taped onto the wiring harness. Don't know if it was avail. separate from Ford. Least of the worries right now, all it does is keep water & crud out of that hole.

S.R. #275
Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Hey, man thanks. It was a spark plug! I put new plugs in and it is running better! It is running period. One of the boots from the cool is cracked and the spring is wonky. I fixed the spring, put some electrical tape around the boot. I live outside if town so no one has parts. I'll forgo testing coils and assume new ones will be the best option.
I do appreciate you Sailor! I hope we can keep in touch.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
The good thing is that you can get new "boots" that come with the springs MUCH cheaper than new coils including them. (like < $10 vs. $100 type price differential)

As long as the coil didn't get damaged you can go that way instead.

Now that you found your fix, welcome to FF!
Hang out when you can & check out the site, we have some social & chat areas besides the tech sections for more fun.

S.R. #275
Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,909, Level 100
Points: 37,909, Level: 100 Points: 37,909, Level: 100 Points: 37,909, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moved to Technical Chat. This is the forum for discussing engine, trans, and body problems or technical issues.

Yeah, spark plug boots. The cost has come down, and those come with the spring. They typically last about 100k miles. You can order them online for about $3, and $5-7 in stores. To remove the coil from the boot, first remove the coil and boot. Then twist the boot so you break any seal it might have to the coil. Then fold the boot tip back towards the coil and that will work it off the coil on the other side. Sometimes you have problems simply pulling the boot off, so that's why I suggest folding it back to work it off the coil nipple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 367602
What I Drive: 2008 Focus S Coupe

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 1 slcpunker Good Standing Member
Thank Dog, Jeebus and the Holy Smokes for this thread! I was 3 hours from home, in the middle of Buttmunch, Idaho when this same issue happened to me! I had NO CLUE why I was losing compression FROM A SENSOR! Luckily, I had cell signal and found this thread!

I limped back to the only gas station and bought a crescent wrench to remove my coils. The first coil had a spark plug just laying right underneath it. The coil boot was hammered and the spring was tweaked badly. I had no other tools and no one at the gas station had any either. I took a stiff piece of vacuum hose from the airbox and used it to finger tighten the plug back into place. I removed another coil and swapped the good boot on the tweaked spring, and vise-versa hoping I would make enough contact.

I started it up and there was a small, occasional miss but it was drivable. We tracked down an AutoZone 10 miles behind us and headed there in haste. I bought 4 new plugs and a small socket set. There was a 2nd plug that was loose!

After swapping in new plugs we drove home with the only issue being the occasional miss. Looking for new coil packs today.

Anyway... Just wanted to share and give thanks to the community!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 15,880, Level 81
Points: 15,880, Level: 81 Points: 15,880, Level: 81 Points: 15,880, Level: 81
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 51 Marde Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcpunker View Post
Thank Dog, Jeebus and the Holy Smokes for this thread! I was 3 hours from home, in the middle of Buttmunch, Idaho...
That was Funny, I have never seen anyone use Buttmunch as a location. Well done.

Always great to see a success story based on an old thread. Great job in your online search for a solution while stuck on the side of the road.

BTW those people you thanked were not involved in this thread previously, but they were apparently involved in your Holy Spirit of lucky Web Searches.

Side Note Story: Many years ago I lived in Alaska, and often did a 2 hour road trip into the sticks. State law requires you to pull over and help any stranded drivers. I kept a box of emergency supplies, gun, food and a few tools in the car at all times. After Alaska, I held onto this habit, but mostly just a few common tools. But I don't think I ever had a spark plug socket with me then or today. Guess I should add that socket for road trips.

Last edited by Marde; 05-21-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in