Can't Remove Valve Cover - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

Points 4,389, Level 42
Points: 4,389, Level: 42 Points: 4,389, Level: 42 Points: 4,389, Level: 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Question Can't Remove Valve Cover

So since today is a beautiful mid-50's day, I figured today was a great time to change my spark plugs. Due to recent "Your oil is low" comments from mechanics/shops, I decided to cover my a$$ and get a valve cover gasket... just in case.

Well upon taking the far right one out I saw the pool of oil covering the spark plug/boot. I've disconnected all of the necessary connections, pulled away the harnesses, and unscrewed all the required bolts to remove the cover. Only problem is that the cover won't come off.

I have now triple-checked all the screws to ensure that I'm not losing my mind and from what I see, they are all either out or I can pull them up and down (since some don't leave the cover). I also made sure that I got the two in the center.

I've tried to get a flat head driver and also picks in to wedge it up but nothing is working. Since my car is an '06, and the cover has never needed to be off before, I believe that this is really gunked on. Most of the seam appears to have oil around it in the back and driver side of the cover.

Anyone experience this before and if so, how were you finally able to get the cover off??? I'm terrified that going too hard at the cover will either break something or fly oil everywhere when the cover gets thrown off!!!

Thanks everyone for your help.

My Build/Mod Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462393
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Well, I got it off with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet.

That was the least of my worries apparently. When I got it off, the passenger side corner cracked off a little and when I got it off, the piece fell into the gear portion of the engine. So when it is back on, a small portion of the gasket is visible to the outside. I'd say it is probably 1-2mm high, 4-5mm long. I cranked the bolts down when I reinstalled it so I'm hoping that there is enough pressure to prevent any leaking.

Of course that is not all. The center bolt, next to the coolant reservoir on the passenger side, dropped down inside the vehicle and I cannot find it. I tried to get lights in there, rock the car, slap the wheel well in hopes to hear any moving and I cannot find it. I have no problems getting a replacement for it but want to make sure the vehicle is safe to drive. I checked as much of the engine's pully system as I could visually and with my hands and could not feel anything.

This repair couldn't have gone any worse. Now I'm freaking out that either the piece of plastic is going to screw up the engine in some way, the lost bolt is going to screw the vehicle in some way, or the cracked corner is going to be an easy path for oil to flow out. I will buy a new valve cover but need my vehicle to be dependable while it ships in. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm worried now and could use some insight.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Here are some pics of what I'm describing...

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Chipped corner might be OK, try pulling the coolant reservoir (don't detach hoses) for a look at the mount area where that bolt could be resting on top of the chassis.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Chipped corner might be OK, try pulling the coolant reservoir (don't detach hoses) for a look at the mount area where that bolt could be resting on top of the chassis.
Ok. Thanks sailor. As I said I will buy a new cover from the parts store here if need be. I don't anticipate oil to be flying out, but I will monitor the entire cover to watch for any leaking.

The screw is what has me worried. Even if I do not find that bolt, you think it will be ok to drive without that one holding down the cover for a couple of days until I can get new one(s)?

I'm nervous to start the car, lol.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Worst from not having it installed is some oil seepage, hardware store will have replacement bolt/washer you could use. Just match the metric size/thread/length, it should be standard size (guess 6x1.0 x length needed to get you in the right ballpark).

Dropped bolts are a PITA, after spending lots of time looking you get very careful of them in the future.

Now you know why extension magnets and mirrors are such useful tools in the box.
Gudziel likes this.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,434, Level 65
Points: 9,434, Level: 65 Points: 9,434, Level: 65 Points: 9,434, Level: 65
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Valve cover is OK at the crack.

Did you ever think to look on the floor for the bolt? Often they go all the way through and when wrenching and you drop something you ALWAYS listen for the quality of the drop noise hit as it often tells you how far bolt went.

Like tinkle, which means hit and stopped. Tinkle, tinkle, hit and rolled or tumbled to drop slightly more. Tinkle............tinkle, hit then bounced off and then dropped further to floor.

ALWAYS chase the offender down while that is clearest in your head, I never look later for the bolt or nut and find it 99.5% of the time, you may have to look for a bit though.
sailor and Gudziel like this.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Valve cover is OK at the crack.

Did you ever think to look on the floor for the bolt? Often they go all the way through and when wrenching and you drop something you ALWAYS listen for the quality of the drop noise hit as it often tells you how far bolt went.

Like tinkle, which means hit and stopped. Tinkle, tinkle, hit and rolled or tumbled to drop slightly more. Tinkle............tinkle, hit then bounced off and then dropped further to floor.

ALWAYS chase the offender down while that is clearest in your head, I never look later for the bolt or nut and find it 99.5% of the time, you may have to look for a bit though.
Yeah I listened to it and it wasn't a short drop by any means. It was a long enough trip that I felt it made it to the ground. But when I looked under the car I didn't see anything. I tried to run my hands along the entire pulley system to ensure that the bolt wasn't resting on the belt. I don't think it's there but I also couldn't get my hand all around the entire belt. I will look around tomorrow and Sunday for the bolt more. But I wanted to make sure that I'm good with the cover to drive.

I don't know why but I am always worried when it comes to my vehicle. I don't want it to be the cause of damage to itself, me, or others...

Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Ok we'll I'm about to start the car with the following:

- Piece of the valve cover that feel into the gear area of the engine that broken off at the valve cover
- missing a bolt to the valve cover that has fallen somewhere and I can't find it. I've looked the past two days and can't locate it.

As an ignorant car guy, I'm worried. But if it was going to be a problem I'm sure you'd all have said something. I'm going to start her up to burn off any oil that fell in. I'm going to order a new cover and install that, probably from Andy. Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G900V using FF Mobile

Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 4,389, Level 42
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Well. . . Started her up and backed up and forward quickly. . . Heard a couple of tinkles. Bolt feel to the ground. :) I'll monitor the cover to see if a new one is needed. Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G900V using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in