Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   2001 Focus PCM Diode replacement (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/617665-2001-focus-pcm-diode-replacement.html)

disturbed1117 10-27-2015 01:12 PM

2001 Focus PCM Diode replacement

I understand the diode in the D1 position in my Power Distribution Box under my hood is the PCM diode? I need to replace it but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Would I have to go to a junkyard and how much do you think it would cost me?

BC_ZX3 10-27-2015 03:18 PM

Ford part # YS4Z 10C912 AA Black 2 spade (fuse type) diode

About $10 from the Ford dealer - which is a rip off - but a relatively inexpensive one.
If the dealer wants $10, the junkyard would probably be $2 or less. Not a hard part to get at.

Have you tested yours or is it just missing?

disturbed1117 10-28-2015 08:27 AM

Well I had a mobile mechanic come look at it he took it to get a replacement and he never came back.

Leora83 10-29-2015 12:15 PM

Good thing you didn't let him take the whole car!

iminhell 10-30-2015 04:55 PM

Just swap it with the one next to it, as a temp fix.

If at a JY, I would just pocket the diode. Virtually no one even knows what it is.

amc49 10-31-2015 03:47 AM

You can pick up ones that will work at electronics supply companies for maybe a dollar or so, crimp the correct spade on either end and cheap new part.

R3DB34RD 05-22-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 9137209)
You can pick up ones that will work at electronics supply companies for maybe a dollar or so, crimp the correct spade on either end and cheap new part.

do you happen to know any good auto related resources for building your own diodes? I'm more of a visual kind of guy and haven't had much luck finding any visual resources.

amc49 05-22-2019 06:31 PM

You gotta be kidding. Crimp two ends, done.

https://www.amazon.com/Painless-8011...P74N45862G53KT

That part will work, if you need video past understanding what you are looking at then you have no business under a car hood.

R3DB34RD 05-23-2019 06:43 AM

I understand what they are and how to put them together. I meant more so about specifics of choosing the right size diode and spades per application. I don't think trying to understand electrical currents and flows necessarily means that I have no business under a car hood, but I definitely like to have a firm understanding of why and how something works before I just go do it because somebody tells me it does. that's like telling somebody who has only ever done body work on a car that there is no point and them trying to learn to figure out wiring diagrams. Only been working on cars for about a year or so and have been able to pick up on things pretty decently, usually don't ask questions as stupid as how to bend two ends.

amc49 05-23-2019 08:20 PM

But you have, and arguing with yourself now. Otherwise, you will have to explain to us how you take something like choosing the right diode and spades to make it visual, that would most likely be material you read instead.

The spade size does not matter anyway, as you are locked into the connector size used there. They are already sized to the amp or the engineer f-cked up. The diode clearly would be 12 volt since the car system is and say 5-10 amp would cover it in flow. A guess off the top of my head but the guesses pretty much work all the time.

'I understand what they are and how to put them together.'

No, you don't or you would not use the words 'building your own diodes', look at your english there. 'Building' is the action not the specification, and it and 'putting them together' mean the same thing. Meaning you are saying you already know how to do what you just asked for.

???????????