Weird Electrical Problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119122
Points 99, Level 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ProjectSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weird Electrical Problem

Hi guys:
I've had an intermittent electrical problem for about a year now. It took 6 months in between the first two occurrences, but lately it's been once a month or more... I've tried to be as descriptive and detailed as I can about the problem (let me know if I left something out). Hardest part is I can't seem to find anything that makes the symptoms repeat. :/

Info about my car:
-2003 Focus SVT
-130k miles

The only aftermarket electronics I've installed are a headunit and a subwoofer. All sound system components were installed well before the problem began.

Symptoms:
-Car begins to stutter. Sudden loss of power for a split second. I can't usually hear any difference from the engine like misfiring or something would create. I can only feel it through the accelerator.
-Dash lights start flashing and dials start randomly taching over (like when you reset your ECU). My dome light also flashes (I only noticed this because it happened once at night).
-Also at this time, my radar detector gives high voltage warnings.
-Car begins losing a lot of power and the difference is audible. I am forced to pull off the road.
-After shutting the motor off, the car will not restart immediately. My radar detector now gives a low voltage reading. Also at this time, the starter does not turn over and there is no other noise from the engine.
-If I wait 2-3 minutes, it will start up and run as if nothing has happened.

I'm not sure what the problem might be or where to start here. I've taken it to the local Ford dealership, and they refused to help me unless the problem happened every time I drive it. Hoping real experts on here can help me out! :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Couple lines of thought.

First I thought of the rear hatch umbilical, because many of the initial symptoms match what shorts back there can do.

Then, started wondering about the alternator & it's connections. Check out the "pigtail" wiring connector to it for issues first. Then I'd hook up a voltmeter to try & catch what's happening the next time the problem pops up for more information.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 99, Level 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I was thinking the alternator as well since the whole electrical system seems to be effected. Also, the fact that it's gotten worse with time makes me lean toward the alternator. The last time it happened I was playing music and when I turned the music off, the symptoms were less severe. I think that points to the alternator as well. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Semi-complex system with PCM control/sensing of the alternator.

That plug is key, and wiring/connector have been known to fail. Replacement "pigtail" for repair is avail. if needed.

All interrelated now, the PCM looks at charging levels to adjust the IAC for load at idle & cuts out the alt. load at full throttle. The rest of the time it's just keeping control of charging voltage based on the sensor wire.

Not saying the alt. itself may not have a problem, but you don't want to go to the effort of getting that out for testing/rebuild without checking everything connected to it.

S.R. #275
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 99, Level 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hmm ok, I'll see if I test those things before messing with the alternator. You think the rear hatch could still be the issue? I've never checked it before, but I know the hatch gets rattled around quite a bit by my sub. Lol not sure if that would cause a problem back there...
Old 05-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Lights & odd electrical can be a result of the hatch umbilical problem, some great pictures of damaged wires in older threads on that here.

Wouldn't do the high voltage though, that's where the alternator questions come in.

S.R. #275
Old 05-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 99, Level 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I was just checking PCM/alternator symptoms and that sounds like my problem. I'll get it checked out Monday or Tuesday and report back!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 99, Level 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Took my car to the mechanics today, and they diagnosed the alternator as suspected. I told them to check the wiring as well, and they came back and said it was fine. Sooo now to go buy the parts and tools to fix it! Thanks for the help diagnosing! :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in