2009 Focus SE Coolant Bypass Hose? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120460
What I Drive: 2009 Light Blue SE

Points 64, Level 1
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Yibyab Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2009 Focus SE Coolant Bypass Hose?

I've spent the last 48 hours trying to find an answer to this question without having to resort to generating a topic here. But I'm frustrated, and figure I must be doing something wrong.

Just bought a used, high-mileage 2009 Ford Focus SE. It sprung a coolant leak that I've traced to a longish, hard-plastic pipe/tubing that seems to run from the coolant pump to the heater core hose, with a nipple attachment at the thermostat. (It's hard to tell since the thermostate housing is buried in a tight space and I'm not familiar with the equipment layout under the hood. I'm also haven't wanted to start disconnecting and removing things just yet.)

Anyway, there's obviously a small pinhole or slit in the plastic hose since coolant under pressure is spraying from there, and the car has lost enough coolant before discovery to empty the reservoir.

I cannot confirm what part that is. I believe it is Motorcraft KM-4966, based on a diagram, but I can't find a picture. Ford Parts didn't have a picture either. They've ordered one, but it'll take a few days, and even then, until I see it I don't know if it's correct.

It's not rubber or silicone. It's plastic, which seems awfully odd to me. It has accordian bends where it makes some right angles and it runs from the water pump, across between the engine and the radiator before turning rearward and disappearing under the air intake and wiring cluster. I believe it has a connection to the thermostat housing before continuing on to what I'm deducing is a heater core hose. It appears to be all one item, though maybe it's composed of several with some shrink wrap sleeves or connectors.

If anyone knows what I'm describing, can he or she tell me what part that is? What is it best to replace it with? I do not like the fact that it's plastic. Is this a known area of failure/leakage and is there a suitable alternative? Any reason why I couldn't replace it (and others like it) with silicone tubing?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Points 64, Level 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
No one? Anyone?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2007 ZX5 boring dark grey

Points 2,041, Level 27
Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 14 Leora83 Great Standing Member
Sorry, man, unfamiliar with the '09.

But in case this helps: the earlier Foci were known for splitting the intake pipe (yes, hard plastic) that runs atop the radiator, especially once the exhaust manifold heat shield rotted enough to fall off. Too much heat=degraded plastic. Not sure you want to use an expandable hose in place of rigid plastic, though...it has lots of heat and pressure to deal with.

It sounds like the newer Foci have a similar design based on your description, but with a longer pipe. Ask the dealer to pull up the exploded diagram of the coolant system on his computer, and you should be able to figure out what you need. Just remember that it may come as part of a larger assembly and/or may come with an extortionate price tag.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 64, Level 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Here's the part I'm dealing with. It's a hardened plastic length of tubing with accordion bends and three attachment points: coolant pump, t-stat housing and heater core line...at least that's what I think. I'm unfamiliar with the Ford Focus under the hood (though I'm getting a crash course now.)

The car sprung a small leak at one of the corrugated bends, and while removing the assembly, it broke at another bend.

For some reason, I cannot find this part online. No idea what it's called. The KM-4966 part that I got the local Fords parts center to get for me is wrong. I'm tempted at this point to just rig up my own solution with silcone hosing, but even though I can't understand why Ford engineered this part with hard plastic that breaks, I'd prefer to use OEM or suitable replacement just for fitment or for environmental/temp/pressure reasons that maybe I'm not seeing.

I just can't find the dang thing to order it. And there's no mention of this part failing for others that I can find. (Its has a FoMoCo stencil on it, so I know it's legit and not some jury-rigged item, but none of the marking trace to anything in Ford parts inventory that I can find.)

Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,540, Level 22
Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
did you purchase the car used? It's possible that the previous owner rigged that plumbing.

Back in the day, auto parts stores sold alot of generic radiator/fuel/vacuum hoses and we just cut them to length. Any tight spots or crazy angles were handled with elbow fittings, screw clamps, and a quick prayer. That might be your easiest/cheapest option.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 64, Level 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
That's what I'm doing. I got a few feet of 5/8" tubing and a few elbow bends and clamps. I'll try to reuse the T-fitting for the thermostat connection and the adapter that fits to the water pump.

I'm pretty sure what was in there came from the factory that way. It had FoMoCo imprinting on the tubing and I don't know anyone who uses those ridiculous spring clamps except for the manufacturer. I had to buy a pair of cable clamp pliers to remove them. I'm reinstalling with regular screw hose clamps.

Not counting the tool purchase, the hose and fittings cost me $23 from O'Reilly's. I'm guessing that if Ford were able to locate the whole tube/hose assembly for me, it would probably cost $40-50. I'm so tired of messing with this. I'd expect this if it was a Saab or a Volvo or something. But not a Ford. I can't believe this tubing assembly hasn't sprung leaks on more people, but I'll be damned if I can find a single other discussion topic or post about it.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 7,347, Level 56
Points: 7,347, Level: 56 Points: 7,347, Level: 56 Points: 7,347, Level: 56
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 98%
Activity: 98% Activity: 98% Activity: 98%
FF Reputation: 21 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've not seen anything like that under my hood... 08-11 should all be identical.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 64, Level 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
You got me, but I just took the broken bits in to Ford and had them look up the numbers found on the side of the tubing. They found it. The part number has since been superceded (and even they have no pictures in their database of it). It's all one assembly, takes 5-7 days to get and costs $80+.

Forget it. I'm fashioning my own fix for a quarter of that, and one that I think won't be subject to getting brittle and breaking after 4 years like this one was.

Sorry to anyone who may have tired of my whining, but this was a frustrating experience for a DIYer.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2007 ZX5 boring dark grey

Points 2,041, Level 27
Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 14 Leora83 Great Standing Member
Not at all. Your fix and description may well help another Focus owner, which is exactly what this forum is for.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 64, Level 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thank you for that. I'll go ahead and post my homemade fix on the chance that maybe somebody else runs into this same issue.

I purchased:
  • 3 feet of 5/8" hose
  • Two 5/8" to 5/8" heater hose elbow fittings
  • Already had hose clamps, but needed 7-10

I wound up reusing 3 of the existing hose connectors from the original assembly: two straight connectors and the one T-connector at the thermostat. I also reused the original 3 hose spring clamps to connect to the points on the car, and using 7 screw-on hose clamps for the home-made assembly, seen here:

I eyeballed the cuts of the hose, making four segments. They wound up being:
  • 2" for the short length out of the water pump connector
  • 17" across the front between the engine and the fan
  • 7" from the elbow to the t-stat fitting
  • 10" from the t-stat to the heater hose fitting

Clamped it all together and then snaked it in place. I had already invested in a pair of cable hose clamp pliers when I removed the original assembly. I used that to reconnect using the original spring clamps.

Reusing the existing hose connector fittings required slitting the hard plastic tubing at an angle at the fitting since I couldn't pry the hose off the fitting otherwise. Must say that tubing was very durable. Where the original assembly was not durable at all was at the bends. Not only is that where the leak sprung, but those accordian bends are also where the assembly broke on removal and inspection. Broke in three different places. But the straight tubing was a bear.

I also did everything without removing anything else from the engine bay. That made for working blind under the cable bundles and ducting covering the thermostat housing through the tight channel on the right side of the engine. As I learn more about the Duratec 2.0 engine, I'm sure I'll discover that there was an easier way to access that area. For now, the price was some straining, craning, a few choice words and some scratched knuckles.

Glad that's over with. Here's hoping this experience isn't going to be a trend with this car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in