Stalling at idle issue (tired of chasing this) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91693
What I Drive: 2000, Dirt Metallic, Kona ZX3

Points 3,850, Level 39
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gun_runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Stalling at idle issue (tired of chasing this)

I have been having this recurring stalling issue during idle for about 6 months now, and i am tired of throwing money at this thing, and need to get the issue solved pronto.

Lets start off with a list of things i have replaced, fixed, or checked.

-New Motorcraft rear PCV hose
-New IAC valve
-New throttle position sensor
-New fuel filter (the external one)
-New Gates Timing belt and pullies
-New water pump
-Cleaned MAF with CRC mass air flow cleaner
-Sprayed starting fluid all around the intake manifold to check for vac leaks
-Got codes checked, and only O2 heater came up because it is removed
-Voltage at battery during idle is 14.0-14.3

My car is a 2000 ZX3 KONA, with 175k miles on it

PCV was replaced about 18 months ago because it was squishy and got a hole in it, no issues for 8 months after repair. Replaced fuel filter at this time just because.

Replaced timing belt after I woke up one day, tried to start it, and it just spun away stripping about 16 teeth off the belt. this was roughly 1 year ago.

6 months ago, car started to have jumpy idle for about a month, then it got worse and started to stall, so i replaced tps, and then IAC shortly after, both to no avail.

One month ago, the issue randomly went away for about two weeks, and came back with a vengeance.

3 days ago, i saw that the MAF could be the problem, so unplugged battery, pulled out, and cleaned MAF, let ECM reset, let the car idle for 10 mins to re-learn idle, and drove around. Ran ok till i started next time then it was back.

Now for the specifics on what it does.
The car idles fine when it is cold, but as soon as the temp comes up to about 33% on the meter, it starts to jump. The idle starts to creep down, then jumps back, then goes lower, and so on till it gets so low that it finally just dies. If i start the car back up, and dont pump the gas, it will immediately die, and will do this until i rev it after startup.

Occasionally when i come up to a stop and put in the clutch, it will just hold at the rpm's i was at for about 5-10 seconds sometimes. While i am cruising, i believe i can hear what i think is the IAC pulsing almost all the time (a pulsing high pitched sucking sound).

Sorry for this huge post, but i read that it is the IAC, TPS, MAF, fuel filter, fuel pump, alternator, PCV hose, and countless other things. I cant afford to keep throwing money at this thing. I need to get this dealt with so i can finally get my girlfriend's damn civic repaired so we can have two cars again.

Here is a youtube video of what it does http://youtu.be/xM99iGsph_8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14466
What I Drive: V6Mistake, 09 JKU, 2007 E550

Points 3,604, Level 37
Points: 3,604, Level: 37 Points: 3,604, Level: 37 Points: 3,604, Level: 37
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 ianmcc Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Have you considered the EGR/DPFE to be the culprit?
Try the workaround #2 as described here...
http://www.focushacks.com/mod/DPFE_S...GR_Information
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117343
What I Drive: black 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 newtofocus's2002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would check the exhaust flow to see if its clogged
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,850, Level 39
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Egr is blocked, and car has no cat

=(
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118216
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

Points 210, Level 4
Points: 210, Level: 4 Points: 210, Level: 4 Points: 210, Level: 4
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Bozok Good Standing Member
Why are your turn signal indicators both constantly on like that in the video? And is the O2 sensor code for the upstream or downstream sensor? Which sensor do you have removed?

You said the engine runs fine when it is cold, but starts acting up once it warms up a little. So perhaps it's fine in open loop mode but once it hits closed loop, it has problems. Have you tried unplugging a sensor or two to force it into open loop mode all the time? I'd be interested to know if the car will run okay even when warm if it's forced into open loop mode when warm. That will help in narrowing down the diagnosis.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,850, Level 39
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozok View Post
Why are your turn signal indicators both constantly on like that in the video? And is the O2 sensor code for the upstream or downstream sensor? Which sensor do you have removed?

You said the engine runs fine when it is cold, but starts acting up once it warms up a little. So perhaps it's fine in open loop mode but once it hits closed loop, it has problems. Have you tried unplugging a sensor or two to force it into open loop mode all the time? I'd be interested to know if the car will run okay even when warm if it's forced into open loop mode when warm. That will help in narrowing down the diagnosis.
I will definitely check that. The rear sensor is unplugged.

I'm guessing the reason the car stays running when cold is because the engine idles around 1k to warm up the car, but drops to 750 rpm after that.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,850, Level 39
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Also, turn signals are on because there is no grill in the car at the moment. A car hit a bicyclist and launched him into my car causing a bunch if damage. Got a new grille from Tousley but have to replace the fender headlight and hood before I replace the grille or it will break when I slam the hood.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,540, Level 22
Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_runner View Post
While i am cruising, i believe i can hear what i think is the IAC pulsing almost all the time (a pulsing high pitched sucking sound).
did you splurge for a new Ford IAC? I hate to ask you to revisit a PITA job, but alot of folks on the forum have complained about their 3rd party IAC's being worse than the original failed part, and others have seen idle problems because of IAC gasket issues.

I haven't encountered any detailed IAC troubleshooting tips on the forum, but it wouldn't cost you anything to disconnect the electrical connector and see what effect that has on your idle.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,850, Level 39
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
did you splurge for a new Ford IAC? I hate to ask you to revisit a PITA job, but alot of folks on the forum have complained about their 3rd party IAC's being worse than the original failed part, and others have seen idle problems because of IAC gasket issues.

I haven't encountered any detailed IAC troubleshooting tips on the forum, but it wouldn't cost you anything to disconnect the electrical connector and see what effect that has on your idle.
I just bought the O'reilly special. Didn't want to spend a ton of money to not have it be the problem.

Do these cars have an adjustable base idle? Or is it all controlled by the IAC? What should it do if I unplug IAC?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,540, Level 22
Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
there is an idle screw on the TB, but I've never touched that on a non-carburetor engine. I imagine it sets a baseline idle, from which the IAC allows deviation.

I've never seen a convincing, detailed description of an IAC here, and most folks treat it as a "black box" that either works or doesn't. Your video showed oscillating RPM's, so I suggested unplugging the IAC's electrical connector as a quick, free test. The IAC is probably a stepper motor (which are difficult to monitor and troubleshoot), so if you were able to disconnect it at the peak of its cycle (looked like ~900 RPM in your video), then the idle would probably freeze at that RPM -- assuming the IAC is at fault. (It will freeze at whatever RPM you diconnect it; I just recommended the peak RPM so that you don't freeze it at a low stall speed.)

...not sure how you'd safely do that while the engine is running & hot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in