Anti-theft system reset??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116699
What I Drive: 2003 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 vik880 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anti-theft system reset???

My ignition cylinder began freezing up about 2 months ago and finally had to be replaced last night after getting stuck for the last time. After we got the new barrel in, it wouldn't start. We discovered that it was an anti theft system. Has anyone had any experience with this? Where/how can i get it reset? It's immobile, obviously, so that makes it even trickier. Is there a way i can reset it?? I'm very sorry if this is a repeat thread, just in a hurry.

It's a 2003 focus zx3

Also, all lights, blinkers and otherwise work when we turn the key, it just won't turn over even after trying to do a running start and jumping the battery so it wasnt a problem with the replacement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Should turn over (crank) but won't start unless the old key with the security chip inside is held near the lock.

New keys with security chips need to be coded, you can do it if you hacve two keys...

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

Points 1,083, Level 17
Points: 1,083, Level: 17 Points: 1,083, Level: 17 Points: 1,083, Level: 17
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
There is an RFID in both your new and old key. If your old key does not fit in the new lock cylinder, you will have to swap them, the RFID tag can be removed by pulling out the rubber tab on the top of the key, just be careful so you don't break it... The RFID tag in your old key is permanently mated to your cars PCM/ECU/ECM.

If your old key does fit in the new lock cylinder, than it it simply a matter of reprogramming the new key. In which case, why not just use your old key?

You should also be able to start the car like this, not really practical, but fun to do:
Hatch Nation #32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,638, Level 31
Points: 2,638, Level: 31 Points: 2,638, Level: 31 Points: 2,638, Level: 31
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 104 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Should turn over (crank) but won't start ...
Don't think that's quite right; it should not crank at all. I'm told fuel pump will prime (something I didn't think would happen) but that's about it.

For future reference: To the OP, you can immediately confrim it's PATS - the Passive Anti Theft System - preventing the car from starting by watching the red light in the middle of the dash by the hazard switch. It'll blink verry rapidly when PATS is active during any attempted start.

Also you can simply transfer the PATS chip from one chip key to the other after opening the "trap door" of the old key as Cotym stated. New key has to be a chip key blank, of course. Unless you ask for one at the locksmith, they might just cut you one that's only good for opening your doors. i.e. no chip at all in it.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 1,083, Level 17
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
^Sometimes the car will crank, but it will never fire. It's dependent, 9/10 it does nothing, but 1/10 it will crank and crank and crank but it wont fire, sometimes the fuel pump primes, sometimes it wont...

If you turn the ignition from "crank" to "off" and remove the key, reinsert it and repeat... 10 times, It will at least once crank... I think it might be to tell people that the battery is not dead... It is real easy to miss that the PATS light is flashing... It should have been located on the instrument cluster.

I've played with the PATS enough to know I've had my run ins with PATS thanks to an aftermarket key copy...
Hatch Nation #32
Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

I have 2 new keys but not 2 old keys, can i still reprogram them??

I have tried holding the old key near the ignition in hopes it would pick up the signal, didnt work, i'll try again though. I'll also try putting the rfid into the new key. Is there any other options?? If this doesnt work am i left with towing it to a dealer to reprogram it?? Cana locksmith do it so i dont have to tow it??

Is there a timer on tr PATS?? Like attempting to start it so many times orecents it from starting for an hour or whatever. Just trying to userstad the system.

You guys have been most helpful. Thank you so much.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Points 1,083, Level 17
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
As far as I know the PATS doesn't have a timer, but I think you have to completely remove the key to try again.... Or at least I did when I did what I showed in the picture above.

If you have one old key, then you should be able to program both new keys... The RFID in the key could be interfering with the signal of the old key, I've never tried this because I don't have the resources...

It should be as easy as swapping the RFIDs from the old to the new... If you can swap the RFID to one key, then you should be able to program the second normally...

A locksmith might be able to do it, but that is fully dependent for every locksmith... Some may know how, others may not...

All in all, I think you could just take the keys to the dealer and see if they could program them without the car...
Hatch Nation #32
Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

How do i reprogram the new keys to the car??? It seems like that would be the easiest cost effective method.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2015 LWB Transit Connect

Points 644, Level 12
Points: 644, Level: 12 Points: 644, Level: 12 Points: 644, Level: 12
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
You need two original keys to start the programming sequence
Each of these keys will have a unique serial number
There are locksmiths that can clone an original key but that does not get you two different keys as then you have two keys with the same serial number

For a new car, one needs five keys ,which i think is the maximum
Your key
2 spare keys
key in hidehole inside the car
dumb key which is hidden on the outside someplace

There are locksmiths that can reprogram the Ford ECU for different keys
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114354
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

Points 40, Level 1
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 hooligan998 Good Standing Member
Kind of digging up an old thread, but I recently had the ignition switch replaced in my 03 ZX3 as it locked up. I got the Stratec replacement. The locksmith told me to have a new key made as mine was a bit bent and he quoted me $116. I asked him why so much and he told me my key had a chip. I didn't really believe it at first because I didn't think chipped keys were that prevalent in 2003.

My question here is this: It was stated earlier that the ECU has two keys programmed to it and you need both keys to reprogram new keys. Is it possible to get a second key programmed? I only have one key currently and would like to get a second made as my 16 y/o daughter will be driving this soon. I also do not have any remotes for it. Can I get those aftermarket or do I have to get them through a dealer?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in