svtf @ 88k miles. Timing belt and other questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
'Merica
 
mikealicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Fan#: 47077
Location: Bay Area, Cali, United States
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

Posts: 1,701
Points 8,576, Level 62
Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
svtf @ 88k miles. Timing belt and other questions

so I'm 15miles from hitting 88k on my 02 svtf. I've been reading a lot that the timing belt should be changed before 90k, so that's on my list of things to do here soon. besides the belt itself, what tools are needed? I was gonna order everything from either cfm or tousley at once.

should I replace the timing belt idler pulley and timing belt tensioner?

was talking to volcomstone the other day, and he recommended a tool that holds the gear in place. any idea where to get these?

since I was in there, was thinking about doing the accessory belt as well. same question goes with that, should I get the idler pulley and tensioner for it?

any other reccomendations for almost a 90k tune up besides the basic plugs, wires, oil change, fuel filter?


__________________
Visit here to see fast cars and races. ---> YouTube: mikealicious2k5
mikealicious is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85627
Location: Minneapolis, MN
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

Posts: 497
FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
so I'm 15miles from hitting 88k on my 02 svtf. I've been reading a lot that the timing belt should be changed before 90k, so that's on my list of things to do here soon. besides the belt itself, what tools are needed? I was gonna order everything from either cfm or tousley at once.

should I replace the timing belt idler pulley and timing belt tensioner?

was talking to volcomstone the other day, and he recommended a tool that holds the gear in place. any idea where to get these?

since I was in there, was thinking about doing the accessory belt as well. same question goes with that, should I get the idler pulley and tensioner for it?

any other reccomendations for almost a 90k tune up besides the basic plugs, wires, oil change, fuel filter?
I'd do it very soon. You never know when it's going to fail....it doesn't really provide any symptoms that it's worn. If it fails - your engine is basically junk unless you feel like taking it apart and replacing valves and pistons.

Idler, tensioner, belt is a must. Check the front main too. If it's wet at all I'd replace it because the belt has to come off for the main seal to be serviced. My belt is like 10,000 miles old and my damn front main is leaking

When it comes to the accessory belt, it can be visually inspected. The pulleys don't need to be replaced if they spin easily and don't appear to wobble or have surface quality defects. Odds are your accessory pulleys are fine but if your serp belt is original I'd certainly replace it as well.

I'd also definintely do plugs and wires. Oil, air and fuel filter.

The tools can be located through some individuals here (SVT section) and they can be had through various part stores and the internet. I don't know the tool #'s off hand but they can be easily found here in the SVT section. From there I'd google and/or call around local to see where I could borrow/rent/purchase.

While you are in the SVT section do some reading on belt replacement. I speak with dozens of Ford techs weekly and have yet to have a tech bitch about this job being difficult.....but it seems like every joe blow on this board that decides to tackle it in his driveway ends up with a blown motor or VCT codes when they're done. There are threads and threads about it here.
__________________
When discussing matters of vex, be prepared to be treated as the vexer.
Grinder is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
'Merica
 
mikealicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Fan#: 47077
Location: Bay Area, Cali, United States
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

Posts: 1,701
Points 8,576, Level 62
Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
yea. called tousley ford and they have some really good prices on everything.

doing timing belt, both timing idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner, oil, oil filter, new tranny fluid, fuel filter, plugs, and wires. also getting the timing tool from them that locks the gear in place. I think that should be good. don't think the water pump or anything needs to be replaced until it starts going out. wish me luck when changing it! haha
__________________
Visit here to see fast cars and races. ---> YouTube: mikealicious2k5
mikealicious is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast
 
RallieConGoggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Fan#: 50774
Location: Lafayette, IN
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Posts: 310
Points 2,729, Level 31
Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...78#post2732278

I have a parts list in this thread. The 2.0 Zetec is non-interference, so if the belt breaks your car just dies and you have to change the belt, redo timing, and you're good to go! If the 2.3 is interference, you'd better change it sooner than later.

I changed mine @ 150k.

It's probably a good idea to change the tensioner, but I didn't change mine. This is another case where if you have an interference engine it's a lot more important to change it before it fails.
__________________
Rally with your goggles on!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Pitch Black ZTS Auto (230,000+ miles)
2007 CD Silver ZX4 SES 5spd
Zetec Crew #190
RallieConGoggle is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Trump 2016
 
pasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Fan#: 62350
Location: queens, NY
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Posts: 12,886
Points 32,234, Level 100
Points: 32,234, Level: 100 Points: 32,234, Level: 100 Points: 32,234, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
good luck
pasta is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85627
Location: Minneapolis, MN
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

Posts: 497
FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallieConGoggle View Post
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...78#post2732278

I have a parts list in this thread. The 2.0 Zetec is non-interference, so if the belt breaks your car just dies and you have to change the belt, redo timing, and you're good to go! If the 2.3 is interference, you'd better change it sooner than later.

I changed mine @ 150k.

It's probably a good idea to change the tensioner, but I didn't change mine. This is another case where if you have an interference engine it's a lot more important to change it before it fails.
Negative ghostrider. I know the SVT 2.0 is interference and I'm 99% sure the standard 2.0 is as well. My only doubt is that Ford usually does a good job NOT putting belts on interference motors. SVT is basically a Mazda motor and they (like many jap makers) have little problems putting belts on interference motors.
__________________
When discussing matters of vex, be prepared to be treated as the vexer.
Grinder is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast
 
RallieConGoggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Fan#: 50774
Location: Lafayette, IN
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Posts: 310
Points 2,729, Level 31
Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Negative ghostrider. I know the SVT 2.0 is interference and I'm 99% sure the standard 2.0 is as well. My only doubt is that Ford usually does a good job NOT putting belts on interference motors. SVT is basically a Mazda motor and they (like many jap makers) have little problems putting belts on interference motors.
The Zetec 2.0 for sure is non-interferance, but the SPI 2.0 IS interference. SVT's have a 2.3L Zetec, and I don't know anything about that one.
__________________
Rally with your goggles on!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Pitch Black ZTS Auto (230,000+ miles)
2007 CD Silver ZX4 SES 5spd
Zetec Crew #190
RallieConGoggle is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic
 
PumkinSvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46561
Location: SoCal, CA
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF, 14 Fiesta ST

Posts: 7,498
Points 16,375, Level 82
Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallieConGoggle View Post
The Zetec 2.0 for sure is non-interferance, but the SPI 2.0 IS interference. SVT's have a 2.3L Zetec, and I don't know anything about that one.
Wow where r u getting your facts from?!?! Svt is a 2.0 zetec and it is an interferance motor. The only 2.3 is a duratec

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
PumkinSvt is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
PARTS HUNTER
 
DEMENTED SVTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Fan#: 71669
Location: SUR CALIFAS, CA
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

Posts: 3,001
FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Svt IS a interferance motor. When the belt snaps the pistons collide with the valves
__________________
2013 F-150 FX2 SUPERCAB 5.0 BRIGHT RED. HIDS, NAVIGATION
LEATHER, SONY 700WATT SYSTEM, 9.8 1/8 mile for now stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DEMENTED SVTF is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Focus Addict
 
standard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Fan#: 72671
Location: Dirty Downriver, MI
What I Drive: wrx

Posts: 691
FF Reputation: 2 standard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
yea. called tousley ford and they have some really good prices on everything.

doing timing belt, both timing idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner, oil, oil filter, new tranny fluid, fuel filter, plugs, and wires. also getting the timing tool from them that locks the gear in place. I think that should be good. don't think the water pump or anything needs to be replaced until it starts going out. wish me luck when changing it! haha
I'd do the water pump.
__________________
'02 WRB Subaru WRX
.
standard is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.




 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1