Grinding in first gear - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM  
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91605
What I Drive: 2005 metallic grey st

FF Reputation: 1 hunter29078 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Grinding in first gear

Okay I am new to the forum and I basically joined to get some help/advice with a problem I am having. I have a 2005 st with close to 200,000 miles on it. It has been mine since new and has not given me any real problems.

The clutch went out about 2 weeks ago along with the flywheel. There was some play between the 2 pieces. After replacing the clutch and the flywheel (went with a solid flywheel) the car will grind going into first if the car is rolling.

It shifts into every other gear as it should with no problem, just shifting down to 1st unless completely stopped it will grind. I am really wanting to know if this is a syncro problem or something else. I am not too concerned since the car still drives as it should I just don't try to put it into 1st unless stopped. But should I be expecting another part of it to go out in the near future? Should I be saving for another trans or just not worry about it? I did a search but most were old and delt mostly with clutch or linkage issues, which I don't think it the problem since every other gear is good and it shift out of 1st to 2nd fine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM  
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
First question is whether this issue showed up IMMEDIATELY after the new clutch was installed...

Second is whether the transmission oil has ever been changed....

Don't want to throw out wild guesses 'till I know more...

Take care...

Sailor
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 PM  
Focus Rookie

Yes immediatley after the clutch install. Although I really never engaged the car into 1st other than at a stop. IIRC the car would not shift into 1st at much of a rolling speed. I would apply very little pressure and when the car would slow enough it would go into 1st gear. Yes the oil has been changed prior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM  
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
A little pressure & let it click into first would be normal, ESPECIALLY if you are moving a bit too fast to select it...

If you "blip" the throttle a bit it should click right in (matching speeds)...

First is the biggest "jump" going down, and it won't engage normally 'till you are going REAL slow....

You might not need to actually "double clutch", but matching engine RPM to the gear wanted makes it easier on the tranny & it's syncro's so it'll slide in earlier & smoother...

I was wondering about the clutch possibly "hanging" a bit after the new install, it MAY be happening a bit and that would make matching engine speed to the gear selected more important...

Can't test drive it from here, so I'll let you do that for me!

Keep chatting & we'll figure it out...

Roger
Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM  
Focus Rookie

Thanks Roger I appreciate it. That could be the case. Not sure if the type of clutch matters or makes a difference. Everything you were saying about"A little pressure & let it click into first would be normal, ESPECIALLY if you are moving a bit too fast to select it..." is right on and what it was doing prior to the clutch install. The clutch may e hanging but it only grinds in the downshift to 1st which was puzzling to me. However I am nowhere the mechanic as many. I was thinking if it was the syncro then 3rd gear would do it as well? Not really familiar with this trans though. I will drive it more and see. I think I am also going to drain the fluid and filter it to see if there is anything in there (need to do it again anyways) I really appreciate the help and I will post back in a couple days.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM  
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Cool, By the way - there is a synchro that's separate for each gear - basically it's another gear that partially engages to spin the "real" gear to speed so it can engage - typically a brass part to "self lube" a bit & wear without putting iron bits into the oil... (the brass bits won't hurt anything by comparison).

And yeah, the synchro's COULD be worn, but with it being different after the clutch change there might be a bit of "hang" in the clutch occurring...
Old 08-28-2017, 12:51 PM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 356713
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5spd Hatch

Points 56, Level 1
Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 UberToast Good Standing Member
I know this is an old thread, and my apologies for reviving it, but I am having the same issue and I was curious if there ever was a resolution?

I have a 2012 SE 5SPD (same MTX-75 Trans), the clutch (Master cylinder, Slave cylinder, Flywheel, Clutch) was just replaced by a shop and immediately following the replacement I am having the same symptoms. It grinds trying to enter 1st while rolling. Most notable when I am rolling up to a stop, I would normally shift back to 1st while slowing so I was prepared to leave the stop when appropriate, but going into 1st will grind unless I've come to a complete stop first. There are no issues shifting into or switching between any other gears.

I am trying to gather suitable information to go back to the shop with so I can get this corrected. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:31 PM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 341354
What I Drive: 2004 Competition Orange SVTF

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 Byron King Good Standing Member
Just read through this, and just want to say that there is no synchro for first and reverse(unless this transmission is different then every other transmission).

As they said here, it could just be a new clutch hanging slightly, and with no synchro in first you notice it there. I would say drive it, and get used to not shifting to first while moving for some time.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 PM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX5, '14 Dodge Dart Aero

Points 599, Level 11
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 13 sykozis Great Standing Member
If it's the same clutch setup as used for earlier MTX75 equipped Focus, you shouldn't be trying to engage 1st gear until below 10mph. Personally, I was always taught that a manual transmission should only be put in 1st gear when the vehicle is stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron King View Post
Just read through this, and just want to say that there is no synchro for first and reverse(unless this transmission is different then every other transmission).

As they said here, it could just be a new clutch hanging slightly, and with no synchro in first you notice it there. I would say drive it, and get used to not shifting to first while moving for some time.
Actually, there are synchronizers for first and reverse. Here's from the parts description section: (obviously no image to reference the item numbers to)

Item Description
1 Tapered roller bearing (clutch side)
2 Teeth - output shaft
3 Output shaft
4 Needle roller bearing - 1st gear
5 Gear wheel - 1st gear
6 Inner synchronizer ring - 1st gear
7 Synchronizer cone - 1st gear
8 Outer synchronizer ring - 1st gear
9 1st/2nd gear synchronizer assembly
10 Snap ring
11 Outer synchronizer ring - 2nd gear
12 Synchronizer cone - 2nd gear
13 Inner synchronizer ring - 2nd gear
14 Gear wheel - 2nd gear
15 Needle roller bearing - 2nd gear
16 Gear wheel - 3rd gear
17 Gear wheel - 4th gear
18 Snap ring
19 Needle roller bearing - 5th gear
20 Gear wheel - 5th gear
21 Synchronizer ring - 5th gear
22 5th/reverse gear synchronizer assembly
23 Snap ring
24 Reverse gear synchroniser ring
25 Reverse gear needle roller bearing
26 Gear wheel - reverse gear
27 Tapered roller bearing (transaxle side)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in