More coolant trouble. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #1

Fan#: 9248
FF Reputation: 1 ZX3NNJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
More coolant trouble.

I bought my Focus used. It has a 2.0 zetec engine. I noticed that my coolant is below the minimum line. There is still a lot in there, but since it is below the line I figured I should fill it up.

The color of the coolant is orange, so I looked in my owner's manual to see what type it is. The owner's manual says my car should either have green or gold coolant. It also says in bold "Do not mix Orange Coolant with factory coolant etc". I bought the car used four months ago and it came with orange coolant.

So now I'm wondering if I should have the coolant flushed and stick with green or gold, or just continue using the orange coolant. I went to the Ford Dealership near me and told them I had orange coolant in my Focus and he didn't make any big deal about it and I bought some Motorcraft Extended Life Orange coolant [even though the bottle says it is for the Mercury Cougar and Ford Electric vehicles]. I asked him if that was okay and he said yes.

So...to summarize.

Should I just keep using the orange coolant?

or

Should I get the coolant flushed and use the brands mentioned in the owner's manual?

/confused.

Last edited by ZX3NNJ; 08-16-2004 at 05:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #2

Fan#: 180
FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
you better change that "V" to a "Z" real fast!!!

Mike
Old 08-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

Points 196,150, Level 100
Points: 196,150, Level: 100 Points: 196,150, Level: 100 Points: 196,150, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Either/Or....

If the dealership said it's fine to use the Orange stuff, stick with it.

If it feels better to go and do a flush, do that and go back to green, it's not going to harm anything but your wallet to flush it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #4

now, to answer your question....

running orange is fine, BUT you need to be sure that the coolant that's in there is completely orange and not mixed with green. mix the orange stuff with the green stuff and you get sludge!

hopefully, whoever owned the car before you had the coolant flushed before they made the switch. to be safe, i would flush it anyway and then just run whatever you want. the orange stuff is supposed to have better cooling properties.

Mike
Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Points: 196,150, Level: 100 Points: 196,150, Level: 100 Points: 196,150, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteboyslo
you better change that "V" to a "Z" real fast!!!

Mike
Yeah I just caught that also.....lol
Old 08-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #6

Fan#: 5085
FF Reputation: 1 CAIS95 Good Standing Member
^^^like they said...ive seen the orange extended life coolant mixed with standard coolant and they end up causing overheating..if your car is not overheating i wouldnt worry..but since it is used and you need peace of mind..buy a can of radiator flush..pour it in ..run it for 20min..drain it out and flush with fresh water..and fill back up with orange crap..i wouldnt go with green since orange is in their now incase some gets left behind...plus the orange is the longest lasting coolant you can buy..100,000 mile crap..hope that helps ...let us know what u end up doin mikey
Old 08-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #7

Fan#: 4112
FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Read the bottle, nearly ALL new orange antifreeze says right on the front that it is compatible for mixing with any other types. orange, green, yellow or whatever. If you're really concerned with it, flush it out and put in just one type. I mix orange with green every day at work, if it says its ok on the bottle, its ok. good luck

g
Old 08-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
S2
Retired Fanatic

Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I'd just flush it and restart, you never know what is in there from the previous owner.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.squatch
Read the bottle, nearly ALL new orange antifreeze says right on the front that it is compatible for mixing with any other types. orange, green, yellow or whatever. If you're really concerned with it, flush it out and put in just one type. I mix orange with green every day at work, if it says its ok on the bottle, its ok. good luck

g
read the bottle closer. you can mix it with just about any other color BUT GREEN! talk to any mechanic, esp. one who works at a dealer w/ cars that use the newer coolants. green+anything other than green = sludge!

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #10

Fan#: 4112
FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Bottle says on front "compatible to mix with any other antifreeze on the market." Some may not, some of the newer products do. Read your products, or just flush and fill. Never hurts to flush and fill.

g

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in