2006 2.0 Check engine light, new battery won't fit ... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 55969
What I Drive: 2005 (red) and 2006 (green) ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 hugo24k Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 2.0 Check engine light, new battery won't fit ...

2006 Focus Z3, 2.0L. In the past 24 hours -- the check engine light came on, I figured it was time to change the factory battery after 4 years.
Went to W-Mart, the battery listed would not fit in the tray -- there is a boxed tab formed into the tray bottom that doesn't let the battery fit.
So, we reinstalled the factory battery and the check engine light is now off.
The W-Mart battery test said to replace the battery. My guess is that's the reason for the check engine light and that it will light up again, if I don't change the battery.
W-Mart did not list an air filter for a 2006 Focus 2.0L so I walked to P-Boys and their info said the car comes with a lifetime filter, and they did not list a replacement.
-- My open questions to fellow Fanatics: Is there an air filter to clean or replace?
-- If the check engine light does not come back on should I find a correctly sized battery and replace it after 4 years, or wait for it to die?
Hugo :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,645, Level 31
Points: 2,645, Level: 31 Points: 2,645, Level: 31 Points: 2,645, Level: 31
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 104 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
P-Boys is right.

Modern batteries should last far longer than four years under normal driving conditions.

If the Check Engine Light comes on again, get the exact code read at an auto parts supplier, not W-mart, before replacing parts.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Today I replaced the battery, Motorcraft, Ford dealer, $119 out of the door. CE light is off now but I anticipate it lighting up, again. Now the car is stalling on deceleration, almost every time. Maybe the PCV valve should be next?
-Hugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
What BC_ZX3 said. You need to get the codes off your ECU (have the ford dealer get them or Pep boys if there close). The codes will tell you what the issue is.
Last of the Hatches #28
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The CE light is on. The troubleshooting code is PO171 -- OBDcodes.com says this is almost always caused by a dirty mass air flow sensor. So, I guess I'll be locating, removing and cleaning it tomorrow. -Hugo
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
DTC P0606

Points 2,645, Level 31
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 104 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Some more detailed code info and possible causes for you (from FF):

P0171 - System too Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.
A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25771
What I Drive: 2002 SVT,03ZX3STREET STOCK RACER

FF Reputation: 4 focusxc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
the maf is easy to change. they are fairly cheap

Nice guys finish last, lets change that
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I am going to buy a new MAFS, thank you very much. :)
Here is another question I can't answer. Does my car have an air filter?
P-Boys said they don't list one, that the car (2006, 2.0L, ZX3, auto) does not have a replaceable intake air filter. It's got to be sucking from some where, and the air/roads here at times can be pretty dirty. If the car does not have an air filter what can I do to clean the intake? The car has 105,000 miles and has never had the air intake cleaned, but I have replaced the fuel filter.
I thought about the dipstick not being in right -- so far as I can tell it is. And where on the stick indicates too much oil?
-Hugo

Last edited by hugo24k; 12-29-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
DTC P0606

Points 2,645, Level 31
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusxc View Post
the maf is easy to change. they are fairly cheap
Not sure about the 2006, but earlier models use a anti-tamper Torx screw to hold the MAF sensor in place. It's easy to change providing you have the right tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo24k View Post
I am going to buy a new MAFS, thank you very much. :)
Your OBD codes web site reference recommends cleaning it, not replacing it. It also lists PCV hose leaks and vacuum leaks as possible causes. It costs nothing to inspect for vacuum leaks and to examine your PCV hose to eliminate them as potential problem areas first.

Quote:
Here is another question I can't answer. Does my car have an air filter?
Yes. It's a Ford "lifetime" air filter as was fitted to certain PZEV cars to meet strict emission regs. It's in the driver's side fender area. Trace your intake hose from the intake manifold out. The local auto parts places don't stock them because they are expensive and replaced infrequently.

Quote:
P-Boys said they don't list one, that the car (2006, 2.0L, ZX3, auto) does not have a replaceable intake air filter. It's got to be sucking from some where, and the air/roads here at times can be pretty dirty. If the car does not have an air filter what can I do to clean the intake? The car has 105,000 miles and has never had the air intake cleaned, but I have replaced the fuel filter.
The filter is available exclusively from the Ford dealer, I believe. Bring a large suitcase full of cash. I hear they are about $300 to replace since they are sealed units and difficult to get at/service. There may be a dial or pop up button on the filter casing to indicate if it really needs replacement. Not positive about that though.

Quote:
I thought about the dipstick not being in right -- so far as I can tell it is. And where on the stick indicates too much oil?
-Hugo
The oil level should be between the two hash marks on the dipstick or there should be a "max" and "min" marked on the dipstick to indicate the two permissible extremes. Refer to the owner's manual for your year. If it's above the upper indicator, it's been over filled.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,640, Level 78
Points: 14,640, Level: 78 Points: 14,640, Level: 78 Points: 14,640, Level: 78
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ok, a little on the air filter.
It is a lifetime filter and if you look at the silencer (stupid looking box just before the throttle body) there is a guage on the side, with the car running look and see if its still in the green, if not it will need to be replaced (at 100k it probably needs it anyways).
the actual filter is located in the front drivers side corner of the bumper under the headlight and bolted between the frame and bumper. it then has a tube which runs behind the fender above the wheel well liner to just before the door area.
in the pic you can see the tube on the top of the filter, it has a yellow wire across it holding the bumper up...lol
steeda, fswerks, f2, all make cold air intakes for the car with a cleanable cone filter. It actually is cheaper by a bit to replace the stock with one of the above mentioned.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in