Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   who has ever replaced the ac accumulator and manifold line? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/205722-who-has-ever-replaced-ac-accumulator-manifold-line.html)

zx32nr 07-20-2009 09:59 AM

who has ever replaced the ac accumulator and manifold line?

well i was pulling my car off the ramps the other day and pinched the rubber hose of the ac manifold line with the lower radiator support. needless to say it starting leaking like crazy.

i called ford and ordered the parts. apparently they changed the design and i had to buy the accumulator beause they changed the design of the bracket on the hose.

everythong looks fairly simple, just unscrew and re-screw back in. all the new lines have o-ring gaskets and what not.
their is one hose that comes off the accumulator and goes up into the fender. it does not have any sort of screw on it at all. it almost looks like a cup and i have no idea how to get the old one off and put the new one on, lol

this is going to be the difference on wether i pay ford to do the job or if i do it myself.

so if anybody has replaced one or two please let me know what the heck to do with that line and if it is worth it to spend the 180 and just have ford replace the parts.

justjake 07-20-2009 12:13 PM

You just use an A/C tool that slides in to the connector and expands the spring inside. That will release the lines from one another.

The tool you need is an a/c and gas line tool.

To R&R the parts it'll take about 20 minutes but then you'll need to have some one "vacume" out the system to dry it and then re-fill it.

whynotthinkwhynot 07-20-2009 01:00 PM

^^ It's called a snap ring release tool. There are several types. The one I use, and the cheapest, is some simple plastic sleeves that cost about $15 if I remember correctly. Basically you slide the sleeve over the line on the spring side, then pull the line apart.

You should read the General AC Troubleshooting and Repair thread because while the system is down it would be a good idea to replace all the O-rings and the orifice tube. This is not expensive- maybe $20 total in parts if that, but it's something a shop would charge you big bucks to do because it's time intensive. There are complete AC system O-ring kits available for most cars at parts stores, you can buy the O-rings individually, or purchase a multi-kit. It sounds harder than it really is, but since you're removing the accumulator and hoses, you're most of the way there already. Hopefully Ford will provide you with the O rings for those installations. Be sure to get some unpressurized PAG oil to lube the rings with. You'll also need pressurized PAG to install before the refrigerant.

I detailed everything I could think of in the General AC Troubleshooting and Repair thread, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

zx32nr 07-20-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 2847931)
^^ It's called a snap ring release tool. There are several types. The one I use, and the cheapest, is some simple plastic sleeves that cost about $15 if I remember correctly. Basically you slide the sleeve over the line on the spring side, then pull the line apart.

You should read the General AC Troubleshooting and Repair thread because while the system is down it would be a good idea to replace all the O-rings and the orifice tube. This is not expensive- maybe $20 total in parts if that, but it's something a shop would charge you big bucks to do because it's time intensive. There are complete AC system O-ring kits available for most cars at parts stores, you can buy the O-rings individually, or purchase a multi-kit. It sounds harder than it really is, but since you're removing the accumulator and hoses, you're most of the way there already. Hopefully Ford will provide you with the O rings for those installations. Be sure to get some unpressurized PAG oil to lube the rings with. You'll also need pressurized PAG to install before the refrigerant.

I detailed everything I could think of in the General AC Troubleshooting and Repair thread, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

thanks man.
the hose that they gave me has all of the o-ring gaskets on it for the proper install.
i will have to look at that line to see if i can use the ac line tool. i have a few lying around from my tech days working for GM.

whynotthinkwhynot 07-20-2009 08:31 PM

^^ Yep, those should be the same tools, not sure if it's the right size or not, but you'll figure that out. I doubt they have all the O rings for the whole system. The orifice tube is located in the high pressure line near where the firewall and passenger fender meet. I'm not as familiar with the Zetec engine compartment, but it's up there in front of the intake. You'll know where it is because there's a coupling up there in the metal part of the line. I believe it's a 21mm wrench that you'll need. The orifice tube is in the metal section of the line between the coupling and the firewall where it turns into rubber.

zx32nr 07-23-2009 12:08 PM

ok i will keep a lookout.
all of the ends of the manifold line have rubber o-rings on them.
that is the only hose i am replacing. along with the accumulator.

Goren813 04-14-2013 10:24 AM

I know this is an old thread but can not find this info anywhere... new user!

I have replaced the a/c compressor, accumulator and orifice tube on my 2000 Focus SE. Everything is installed completely other than the accumulator.

My one and only issue is that I can not get the crush sleeve gasket to fit onto the tube/hose that goes into the front of the accumulator (the one with a threaded stud on it and 1 nut). Everytime I tighten it it does not crush the sleeve around the fitting, because there's only a nut on one side... stupid design.

How can I get the crush sleeve to go on so I can finish this install!?!

alz focus 04-14-2013 11:07 AM

I'm not sure if this is your issue or not, but, Ford changed the design of the hose and accumulator. You must replace both. Looks like you need the new style hose from the accumulator to evaporator.
If you have both new, then disregard this post.

Goren813 04-14-2013 11:26 AM

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...W259022#Search

The hose I am having trouble with runs from the front/side of the accumulator and goes to the compressor - Part # 19D734 as shown in photo

brooksto 04-14-2013 02:52 PM

I am at the same point you are, reconnecting the accumulator. I purchased a new hose as well, as was instructed to by various sites since mine is a 2000 model. I noticed that the opening on the new hose is bigger then the old one, if you did not purchase a new hose to go with the new accumulator that could be your problem.

My old accumulator to hose connection just used an o-ring. The new hose had an o-ring as well and included what you may be referring to as the crush washer, its a silver ring with a rubber gasket type material around the inside. Looking at the for parts diagram it appears that only the o-ring is needed. I am going to attempt to do it this way as I don't see where the "crush washer" would be placed as to not interfere with the o-ring seal