High RPM's, Surging on stop. HEEEELLLPP! P1506 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Fan#: 60868
FF Reputation: 1 Windshieldbandit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question High RPM's, Surging on stop. HEEEELLLPP! P1506

Hey guys, please read the whole thing, it may help you figure it out. Okay, here's a problem for you guys i've been having for about 3 months now, ( I know i know, Should have been fixed a looong time ago, but time and money was an issue.) 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 with about 111,500 miles on it. Upon starting, hot or cold temperatures, isn't fixed when engine warms up, sits at about 3000 to 4000 RPM's (varies on each start but never starts normally.) Eventually after perhaps 10 seconds, once again varies upon start, will go down to an idle of 1100 RPM's. It will not go any lower. When driving, it shifts fine but when you release the gas, it hangs (sometimes surges up a bit) then goes down to an idle of approx. 1400-2000 RPM's. Then, right before you completely stop, it surges forward and the brake most of the time feels as if it wouldn't stop the car in an emergency. (due to the high RPM's I assume. I have to anticipate my stops WAY ahead, and plan for that surge so I don't rear-end anyone. and I've had to put it to the floor many times. The idle will go back down to 1100 RPM's (no lower, EVER) once you completely stop. Also, when you have your foot off the gas, car will accelerate. For example, I was driving today and released my foot off the gas at 20 MPH. By the end of the street, (200-300 yards) I was going 40 MPH, all on it's own. HELP?! also on a side note, this BLOWS as it ruins my gas mileage.

Things I have tried/replaced etc.

- Checked the MAF, swapped it out for an identical working focus, and cleaned it (last night)
- Replaced air filter with a K&N filter :-)
- Cleaned out the throttlebody with seafoam, then afterwards with Valvoline TB/Carb cleaner. Didn't flood it either.
- Removed IACV (A feat unto it's own ) and cleaned it with CRC Electrical parts cleaner. (I did not flood it, merely sprayed some in, let it sit and wiped it out. I was very dirty, obviously. I repeated this probably 10 times before I was satisfied and let it dry under a light for about 18 hours. (Patience is a bitch) lol
- Replaced spark plugs with motorcraft platinum plugs. I had bought Bosch's but before I put them in, I checked here and saw the problems everyone has with them so I went and exchanged them. No dirt got in the cylinders and i applied dielectric grease the all the connections and cleaned the wires. I will be replacing them with focussport wires once they arrive.
- Replaced the TPS Sensor. Very interesting fact. When the problem originated, my genius ^_^ roommate told me right off the bat to go out and buy a new TPS sensor. Which I did. 50 bucks later, I am almost positive that it was the wrong one, or wasn't meant for my throttlebody, or needed an updated pigtail. Because when I put the new one in, the problems got so much worse, car would hang at 5000 or 6000 when put in neutral or park and not go down until car was shut off. And it would slip in every gear. Also I had NO power when I had that one in. My acceleration was pathetic. I really didn't put two and two together until a month ago, when i decided to replace the one I had bought with my old one. The slipping disappeared and the revs were a little better, but definitely NOT fixed by any means of the word. I also swapped a TPS out of my brother's 2000 Manual Focus, with generally the same issues.

Some last bits of info/questions.

- I have a new PCV to put it in but im really hesitant to pull off what I think is the right hose because I'm not sure if it is and it really doesn't seem like it wants to come off.
- CEL was on until today. (might still come back on, just put the battery back on today after cleaning the IACV and ran and drove it for about 20 mins and let it idle by itself afterwards for about another 20 minutes. It has been throwing the P1506 code (IACV?!)

One last thing, When car is put in park or neutral it revs and hangs like it always does, but takes a lot longer for it to go back down. MAYBE a vacuum issue? where are all my vac lines so I can replace them all, bad or not. But why would I be throwing the P1506 code? Car runs the same with the IACV thoughly cleaned. I would just go buy a new IACV but they are a crapload of clams and I don't want to go and spend 200+ on part that doesn't cure my problem.

Okay, that is my majorly irritating problem. Laid out in black and white., and if you guys can't figure it out, I don't know who can, besides the obvious.
Thanks in advance! my faith is the gearheads of Focus Fanatics!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59327
What I Drive: 2004 Red Zx3

Points 1,291, Level 19
Points: 1,291, Level: 19 Points: 1,291, Level: 19 Points: 1,291, Level: 19
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 NAD23ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It does sound like a vacuum issue, PCV valves/hoses are generally the culprit. But I would also check the TPS.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #3

UPDATE: Check engine ligh back on, I'll check to see if it's going to be the same code again, probably will. Also I forgot to mention that I had the oil/transmission fluid changed a couple of days ago. MAN It looked like charcoal being sucked out of my lines. Glad I did that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59303
What I Drive: 2003 Ink Blue Focus 1.8 Zetec Ghia

FF Reputation: 3 djmontara Good Standing Member
i also think you have vacuum leak.. either the vacuum hoses coming off the manifold or the PCV hoses... could also be a vacuum leak around your throttle body or even a leak at the manifold. though having said that, do u have a lean code set?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

Nope the computer hasn't been messed with ever, and the only code I get is p1506. and if it is a vacuum leak, why am I getting this code? Additionally, WHERE the hell is the PCV valve? (Good pictures anyone?) and other vaccum hoses? I have brand new blue vacuum hoses I can change them out with. But im afraid im going to pull a liquid line or something lol

UPDATE: Went to the U-Pull-it yard yesterday and picked up one for about 5 bucks. Just got done installing it, Have to wait for the liquid gasket to cure, about another half hour to go.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49001
What I Drive: 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3 Freak Good Standing Member
Well, I had a problem similar to yours. It was the the TPS. The thing was junk, so I replaced it. No more surging idle.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Focus Hoarder

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 03 Jag - 06 SAP - 02 SVT - 02 ZXW

Points 11,391, Level 70
Points: 11,391, Level: 70 Points: 11,391, Level: 70 Points: 11,391, Level: 70
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 63 ArcticMynx Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
heres the breakdown of that CE code

as mentioned down at the bottom while running on idle disconnect the IAC from its harness and see if the rpms change

------------------
P1506 - Idle Air Control (IAC) Overspeed Error This DTC is set when the PCM detects engine idle speed that is greater than the desired rpm. IAC circuit short to GND
Damaged IAC valve
IAC valve stuck open
Vacuum leaks
Failed EVAP system
Damaged PCM
Disconnect IAC valve and look for little or no change in engine rpm as an indication of a stuck or damaged valve.
2006 Focus ZX4 SAP - Daily Driver (Psychotic Black)
2007 Focus ZTW Wagon - Project (Dark Shadow Grey)
2003 Jaguar X-Type - Project (Money Pit)
2002 SVT Focus - Project (#2760 of 4788)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60762
What I Drive: 2017 ST,06stangGT,,01Lightning

Points 4,916, Level 44
Points: 4,916, Level: 44 Points: 4,916, Level: 44 Points: 4,916, Level: 44
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 chefster Good Standing Member
ok , had same prob...it was a bad hot wire connection at battery...check all your connects.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 415487
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 gpgjerry Good Standing Member
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2000 Ford Focus. Changed the IAC, TPS, PCV valve Checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the throttle body, and intake manifold. I picked up this car cheap because it sat up for a year or so. The owner didn't say anything about any throttle problems..
any Ideas??
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,385, Level 65
Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
'The owner didn't say anything about any throttle problems.'

Likely because you caused them. Or because he did and left that out, why does a useable car sit unused?

If an automatic trans then you likely have the wrong TPS. Past that vacuum leaks and what all that work does when not done correctly. You guys never find the leaks but you always say you looked. The PCV hose is a known problem on them, can't say because you said nothing about which motor. The TB often is too once somebody removes it and IAC right there the same way.

Your fix is in easily a hundred places on this site. Search.

Last edited by amc49; 08-29-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in