Mass Air Reads Lean, Check Engine Light is On - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57564
What I Drive: 2006, Pitch Black ZX4 SES W/SAP

FF Reputation: 1 RaceThatFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mass Air Reads Lean, Check Engine Light is On

LONG TIME NO TALK EVERYBODY. Well I have a question for anybody that wants to help. I just fabricated my OWN Cold Air Intake . I didn't have $249.99 to buy one so I figured I would be awesome and make my own. I did a superb job and when I get a chance I will post pictures for anyone to drool at lol. My question is, after I installed this one of a kind CAI my check engine light came on, so my first thought was to check it with a computer and see what the reading was for. It told me my air flow was too lean (too much air to gas.) so I went to auto zone to reset the Mass Air Flow sensor and they did . I drove for about 30min and the light came back on. I took it back just to be safe and it was the same thing . He reset it again but it came back on. HOW DO I GET IT TO REGISTER THAT THERE IS A NEW FILTER SYSTEM SO IT WILL MAKE THE RIGHT MIXTURE FOR AIR AND GAS?????? I hope anyone here can help me because I have completely lost hope and figured I would just drive it as is. Oh and I tinted my windows this last weekend!!!!! YAY ME!! LOL sorry I haven't been on lately I've been really busy!!

Sedan Revolution #176
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Gal. 2:20

Fan#: 45089
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 some red color.

FF Reputation: 88 the_07ninja Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I kinda did the same thing before I got my CAI. My check engine light came on once and my friend at work reset it. The only thing I could suggest would be to un hook your battrie for about 15 min. That will reset your ECU to stock...but I can't promise it will not come back. The problem isn't your MAF sensor the problem is your AFR (air to fule) is off now and your MAF sensor is throwing a flag up. The sensor is doing what it's supose to...no need to reset it. I would try maybe a smaller filter...did you check all the band clamps to see if your leaking air...or in this case sucking it in.....let me know if this helps you I would also suggest posting in the Duratec section I hink you'd get a bit more feed back from them.
Team Duratec #36
RIFF crew /
L.O.T.H #69 baby
Quote:
Any man comfortable enough to use Vanilla Ice as his avatar is my hero.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 45759
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

Points 96,869, Level 100
Points: 96,869, Level: 100 Points: 96,869, Level: 100 Points: 96,869, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 21 gonefhsn Great Standing Member
You will also want to make sure that you MAF is not upside down wil cause the same style problem (that is if you took it out) does the car run fine or is it hesitating on accel? I found that out when I put mine in up side down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You indeed can get to much air into the TB. The ECU will adjust the a/f ratio as far as it can and then throw the CEL when it can't compensate any further.

My Steeda SRI still has the insert installed which restricts the air-flow. Steeda warns not to remove the insert without a tune or the engine will run "dangerously" lean.

Here's more than you probably want to read from my 08' manual.

The fuel system monitor is an on-board strategy designed to monitor the fuel control system. The fuel control system uses fuel trim tables stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) keep alive memory (KAM) to compensate for the variability that occurs in fuel system components due to normal wear and aging. Fuel trim tables are based on air mass. During closed-loop fuel control, the fuel trim strategy learns the corrections needed to correct a biased rich or lean fuel system. The correction is stored in the fuel trim tables. The fuel trim has 2 means of adapting: long term fuel trim and a short term fuel trim. Refer to Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim in this section. Long term fuel trim relies on the fuel trim tables and short term fuel trim refers to the desired air/fuel ratio parameter called LAMBSE. LAMBSE is calculated by the PCM from the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) inputs and helps maintain a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio during closed-loop operation. Short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim work together. If the HO2S indicates the engine is running rich, the PCM corrects the rich condition by moving the short term fuel trim into the negative range, less fuel to correct for a rich combustion. If after a certain amount of time the short term fuel trim is still compensating for a rich condition, the PCM learns this and moves the long term fuel trim into the negative range to compensate and allow the short term fuel trim to return to a value near 0%. Inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) or cylinder head temperature (CHT), intake air temperature (IAT), mass air flow (MAF) sensors are required to activate the fuel trim system, which in turn activates the fuel system monitor. Once activated, the fuel system monitor looks for the fuel trim tables to reach the adaptive clip (adaptive limit) and LAMBSE to exceed a calibrated limit. The fuel system monitor stores the appropriate DTC when a concern is detected as described below.

1. The HO2S detects the presence of oxygen in the exhaust and provides the PCM with feedback indicating air/fuel ratio.
2. A correction factor is added to the fuel injector pulse width calculation and the mass air flow calculation, according to the long and short term fuel trims as needed to compensate for variations in the fuel system.
3. When deviation in the LAMBSE parameter increases, air/fuel control suffers and emissions increase. When LAMBSE exceeds a calibrated limit and the fuel trim table has clipped, the fuel system monitor sets a DTC as follows: The DTCs associated with the monitor detecting a lean shift in fuel system operation are P0171 (Bank 1) and P0174 (Bank 2). The DTCs associated with the monitor detecting a rich shift in fuel system operation are P0172 (Bank 1) and P0175 (Bank 2).
4. The MIL is activated after a concern is detected on 2 consecutive drive cycles.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

Fan#: 51419
FF Reputation: 1 Mr.Zx3 Good Standing Member
i had the check light to and my car would like stutter it was do to maf being in wrong cause i had messed with it flipped it back and took off the neg battery post it was just like new
Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Yep, 99% of the time when someone installs a CAI/SRI and there's a CEL it is caused by the MAF being installed wrong.

I just wanted to point out that it is possible to get too much air also. Which I would think would be easier to do with a homemade unit rather than a commercial one.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

Points 73,703, Level 100
Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to FORD FOCUS TECHNICAL CHAT.

Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 43,229, Level 100
Points: 43,229, Level: 100 Points: 43,229, Level: 100 Points: 43,229, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
pictures could possibly help on this one.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57564
What I Drive: 2006, Pitch Black ZX4 SES W/SAP

FF Reputation: 1 RaceThatFocus Good Standing Member
Well at first like a I put the MAF in completely wrong, it was turned sideways completely blocking the air from coming into the engine So once I figured out what I did wrong I checked the old intake tube where the MAF was located to see what way the MAF was installed originally. When I determined that I had to rotate it just right to get the right position of it it seemed to be working right. The only different change I see in my engine other than a little gain in horsepower and noise is when it starts to drop down RPM from driving (say I put in clutch to stop) It dips down a little lower than it use to almost sounding like it wants to die but it just jumps right back where it should be.

PS I will try to post pics tomorrow so I can give you guys a little more advantage to the situation. Thanks everybody for your help!!!!
Sedan Revolution #176
Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,856, Level 100
Points: 37,856, Level: 100 Points: 37,856, Level: 100 Points: 37,856, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
^^ Do an A/F reset on the computer.
1) drive car until engine is warm
2) remove neg terminal from battery for 10 mins or so
3) connect terminal, and start engine. DO NOT touch accel, allow engine to idle.
4) time engine idle for 6 mins after engine drops out of start-up mode and idle drops.

You will notice fluctuations in the idle during this time if you have a tach. Once it finishes, you'll see the idle drop slightly and even out.

These are all little tests that your ECU will do while you drive the car to reset the fuel trim and curve, doing the first one just reduces the time it takes for the computer to reset itself.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in