Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Driver door not opening from outside

55K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MarianThs 
#1 ·
This is my newest problem. My driver door, as of about 2 hours ago, will not open from the outside. I can open it from the inside, no problem. All of my other doors open, no problem. I just can't seem to open my door from the outside... and yes, it is unlocked ;).

Any suggestions?

Thank you much!

#3 ·
It's the door handle itself. Do a search and you will find about 10,000 others who have had the same issue. Replace the door handle and problem solved, or you can pull the door apart (which you will have to do anyways) and clean it. Though that is just a temp fix, it will return at the most inopportune time.

If you need to get in, just push in on the door a little and pull the handle at the same time. Should open right up then. That's what I do because I am too lazy to fix mine.

#6 ·
Hmm.... they are not the hardest things to take apart. Hopefully you have a haynes manual though because it does help and my suggestion is to take it apart and find out what's wrong first. Then depending on what you need either go to Ford and buy the part you need or go to a junk yard and buy the whole assembly if you can find it.

#10 ·
NOOOOOOOOO. Try spraying it down with WD-40. Mine was doing the same thing, and it just needed lubed up. I haven't had the problem since. I think I used WD-40. It may have been some other kind of lub though. Just take the inner door panel off. If that doesn't fix it then replace.

#13 ·
One thing that causes this with these cars is not keeping the latches clean. If you could go get some brake/parts cleaner and some spray white lithium grease, this would do. Just clean the latch through the opening on the door, BE SURE TO NOT GET THE CLEANER ON THE DOOR PANEL!. Let it dry then spray the latch with the grease. That will keep them in great working order. I believe you just called me about the door handle? Ill be waiting to hear from you tomorrow. Mike

Reactions: Juggernaut118
#14 ·
Helpful Photo for 2001 Door Latch Replacement

I know this is an old thread but every little bit helps. There is a thing that needs to be done to fix most Focus latch problems that can be made less aggravating by looking over a photo in one of my Facebook albums that is public. You won't need to bother if you are not preparing to do this job. I am new in this forum and can't include links or images yet. Youtube videos don't do a hot job of covering this critical point.

To see the photo you will need to scroll to the bottom of my Facebook album entitled 'Chores and Repairs.' In the Facebook search box to find my account put 'FullTruthSeeker' and hit [enter]. Later, if edits are allowed, I'll edit this out and add the photo here once I have permission to include a photo.

#15 ·
I know this is an old thread but every little bit helps. There is a thing that needs to be done to fix most Focus latch problems that can be made less aggravating by looking over a photo in one of my Facebook albums that is public. You won't need to bother if you are not preparing to do this job. I am new in this forum and can't include links or images yet. Youtube videos don't do a hot job of covering this critical point.

To see the photo you will need to scroll to the bottom of my Facebook album entitled 'Chores and Repairs.' In the Facebook search box to find my account put 'FullTruthSeeker' and hit [enter]. Later, if edits are allowed, I'll edit this out and add the photo here once I have permission to include a photo.
Thank you for that story. I think I read it 3 times. Absolutely fantastic! I think this my absolute favorite PHISHING post I have ever seen at FF.

Man oh man, I hope you keep coming back with more comedy AND I hope your posts can be saved into an archive here at FF forever.

Guessing we need a FF Moderator to step in.... in order to setup that archive folder (Forum Area) dedicated to the Best-Ever ((at FF)) PHISHING posts.

This post by "FullTruthSeeker" is immediately classic, and very <kicked in the nuts> funny. Someone please PLEASE save this Gem.

#16 ·
I am currently trying to fix my door handle on my 07 focus. Took apart the door panel and took out the handle and looks identical to the new one I bought, not broken or missing any pieces. I looked inside and there is nothing that the door handle catches to open. Anyone have the same problem?

#17 ·
'...there is nothing that the door handle catches to open.'

Because it's broken. A tab on the 'door reinforcement' part as it's called is the most common fault for that issue. The tab begins to break when the latches tighten up because they are old and have run dry of grease.