Cowl removal, passengers side - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By amc49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 884, Level 15
Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cowl removal, passengers side

Hey all,

I have a flooded passengers side floor... after reading here I checked my cowl and in 2 places it is sticking up and not coming in contact with the windsheild. Looks like its warped or something is under it, although my money is on warpage :(

So I tried to take it off but could not find any screws. On the engine side I see 3 clips, but pushing them in makes no difference.

Do you just pull it off? From one thread it sounded like it has posts underneath that push into holes keeping in place...

How do I remove it without breaking anything?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48551
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 (SVT Eng/Tran), 2002 SVTF

Points 3,949, Level 39
Points: 3,949, Level: 39 Points: 3,949, Level: 39 Points: 3,949, Level: 39
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 32 tczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
That side of the cowl has the clips you found on the front edge plus two clips at the back edge. They're located under the round circles that you see on the top, they look like screw caps. They are supposed to just pop up but I broke mine trying to remove them. Also, that side has a lip or shelf on the bottom so you have to 'roll' the cowl, front edge up to remove. Finally, along the windshield edge there is a piece of butyl rubber to seal it to the glass. You'll likely need to replace that to stop the leak.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 342114
What I Drive: 2002 Silver LX

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 PEPPERPOT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tczx3 View Post
That side of the cowl has the clips you found on the front edge plus two clips at the back edge. They're located under the round circles that you see on the top, they look like screw caps. They are supposed to just pop up but I broke mine trying to remove them. Also, that side has a lip or shelf on the bottom so you have to 'roll' the cowl, front edge up to remove. Finally, along the windshield edge there is a piece of butyl rubber to seal it to the glass. You'll likely need to replace that to stop the leak.
Mine has been leaking on my 2002 LX as well on the right side. I pried it up a few years ago to replace the cabin air filter. It was a nightmare getting in there, and when I finally did, there was no filter there. I put in a new filter, but when I tried to snap the tabs of the rubber cowling back in, the seal warped and would not adhere to the lower windshield. I put silicone in the gap, but a water leak persists. I want to fix this properly. Where and I get a new rubber cowl and new tabs to hold it in place? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,447, Level 65
Points: 9,447, Level: 65 Points: 9,447, Level: 65 Points: 9,447, Level: 65
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Understand that the cowl meeting the windshield point was never intended to be 100% leakproof, all it does is limit the total amount of water getting lower down to leak. Some of the later ones have no rubber 'seal' there at all, Ford again reducing cost there by leaving off add-on parts that do nothing.

The true leak stopper is the curved catch groove piece plastic welded to the bottom of the cowl, and you absolutely cannot have any hole or crack in the cowl piece directly above that catch groove at all. The plastic welding divots cannot have broken through to the top of cowl plastic either. Consider the piece as a rain gutter, it channels all water coming off the very bottom edge of the glass (YES! water that got past the area most people think stops it!) to the outboard side and away from the fresh air inlet there. Any flaw there or above it and you get leaks even if you glue the further back edge to the windshield solidly with 50 pounds of silicone or what have you.

You can have a 1/4 inch of airspace under the back cowl edge to the glass and never leak a drop if that rain gutter is in good shape, both my cars do and zero leaks in even the most severe storms.
sailor and worfz like this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in