What is wrong with my car??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36693
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

Points 2,485, Level 30
Points: 2,485, Level: 30 Points: 2,485, Level: 30 Points: 2,485, Level: 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 FocU Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What is wrong with my car???

just got a 2000 ZX3 AUTOMATIC with 30K on it and recently when I gas on the accelerator, instead of the speed going up, the RPM goes up. And when I stop to a red light or stop sign, and then when I accelerate again the RPM goes up. I release the pedal slowly RPM comes down THEN the speed goes up. ehhh wtf?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,918, Level 100
Points: 37,918, Level: 100 Points: 37,918, Level: 100 Points: 37,918, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How's the fluid level with the engine running in park?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,485, Level 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
how do i check that? you sound like you know what your talking about. In park the needle (if thats what your talking about) is not in the middle. Its all the way down to the left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: 2017 Focus RS

Points 1,421, Level 21
Points: 1,421, Level: 21 Points: 1,421, Level: 21 Points: 1,421, Level: 21
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
You'll want to be looking under the hood. What "Whynot" was referring to was checking the fluid level in your transmission. It's possible you've got a leak and your tranny fluid is low, or it's possible your tranny is toast!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,485, Level 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
thanks guys , ill check that out. Because it takes forever for me to accelerate to 40+ MPH nowadays. RPM goes up like crazy when i accelerate.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,918, Level 100
Points: 37,918, Level: 100 Points: 37,918, Level: 100 Points: 37,918, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by FocU
how do i check that? you sound like you know what your talking about.
That statement is totally up for debate.... personally, I stink at figuring out car problems from internet descriptions. Then again, the operative word in the statement is "sound", and we can't really "sound" like anything in text format.

Well if you haven't been checking your transmission fluid level... umm....

The directions are covered in the owner's manual as well as recommended fluids and sevice intervals. You're due for a filter change. If the fluid is dark in color- it should be medium red- or smells burnt like burnt toast- you need a filter and fluid change. There's a thread in here somewhere where there's a description of what the job should entail, and a Haynes or Chilton's manual from an auto parts store will give pictures and a better description. It's something anyone can do with the right guidance and equipment-in this case: a pan to catch the fluid, filter, black or grey RTV (automotive caulk), ratchet, sockets, screwdriver, 4 qts of Mercon V fluid, a funnel, and a brain. I'll be happy to dig that thread up if you get that far.

The first thing you need to do is verify that the transmission has fluid in it. For all we know your dipstick is missing. The owner's manual will give you a better description than I can about where the dipstick is located. There will be 2 marks on the dipstick: WARM and COLD. If you haven't started the car that day, then the car is cold. The COLD mark is the full mark for the transmission when the engine is cold. Start the car in park, pop the hood, pull out the dipstick, wipe off dipstick, insert dipstick fully, pull out dipstick being careful not to tip it up so that the fluid runs further up the dipstick and gives a false reading. Look at the highest point where the dipstick has fluid on it. If it is not up as high as the COLD mark, or the WARM mark if the car has been driven around- then you need to add fluid. Check the owner's manual, but I think that the AT transmission uses Mercon V. You'll need a funnel, and you put the new fluid in through the dipstick tube on the transmission. Add 1/2 qt at a time so you don't overfill the transmission.

If you did not see fluid on the dipstick after you wiped it off: you're at least 2 qts low. After you have filled your transmission, find some cardboard or newspaper that you can position under the car overnight to see if you're leaking transmission fluid. If you are leaking, and you're brave, then it's time to do a transmission filter job described above.

You might want to check the oil once a week too- just in case it springs a leak.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 10-08-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,485, Level 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
First off, I appreciate all the info you gave me. Secondly, I checked the tranny fluid. It has plenty in it and its still clear and not black.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in