Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sibling Rivalry

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Okay so me and my brother have this ritual that whenever one of us gets a new car we have to race each other. Just picked up a stock ZX3 5 speed not lightning fast by any means. My brother has a 2004 GTI with a stage 2 turbo kit and a racing clutch. Is there any hope? I know he is probably going to leave me standing but is there anything I could do to make it at least a race besides buying a turbo? Once again this is just for fun any tips will help! Thanks guys and gals

#3 ·
Here's a thought.....tell him that you will race him but you get to line up the cars.....you have yours facing forward and his facing backwards....if his is that fast than that will even things out, at least by the time it gets it turned around, it will make for a good race....IMO!

#5 ·
Along with all the AMC race cars we got to play with, my younger brother and I used to race each other all day long at the strip using our two AMX cars. Two different approaches used there, his was a 401 with mild cam, headwork, intake, 2.02/1.68 valves, headers and 4.44 gear. Mine was a 304 with much bigger cam and much more headwork on 1.78/1.40 valves and intake modded too, headers, 5.00 gear. My car weighed 100 lbs. less than his. Both cars 4 speed (his 2.23 low, mine 2.64) and big Holley carbs. Lower rpm all torque motor vs. high rpm small inch screamer, he shifted at 6000, me at 7500. Both cars would run around 12 flat, he was usually slightly over it and I could dip into high elevens on the right days weather wise. We would line up at the strip and usually on street tires and whoever got off the line the cleanest would barely win the race. It would go one way or the other but mine was harder because of heavier flywheel and more gear. He was also better at leaving on street tires as he did it much more than I being the drag racer of the family. I could outpull him slightly if we were dead even going into high gear, but most times he was ever so slightly ahead of me by half a car. I used to laugh at him grinning at me, we would be looking at each other at well over 100 mph.

Loads of fun, I could do that all day long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.