Heel Toe problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 127858
What I Drive: 2008 Red S

FF Reputation: 1 cmatice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heel Toe problems

I guess this is the right place to post this... So yesterday I got ambitious and decided to learn how to heel toe brake. Obviously I'm not exactly good at it yet. I'm very slow and only about half of my downshifts are smooth and rev matched well. My question is: How bad are rough downshifts on the synchros and drivetrain/transmission? Also, my clutch seemed to bite a little higher than usual, but I might be worried too much. Is this technique bad on the clutch? While I am learning I am not just dropping the clutch, but am still releasing it rather quickly to try and smooth the driving out some while trying to reduce some wear on the clutch. Will I damage anything while I learn how to perform this technique?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,615, Level 31
Points: 2,615, Level: 31 Points: 2,615, Level: 31 Points: 2,615, Level: 31
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 104 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The technique is supposed to save the syncros, lol. If you fail with the rev match, the syncros should work as per normal and prevent gear crunch. It'll be harder on them but shouldn't reduce their life drastically if you get better at it quickly. Pause ever so slightly between shifts to give them a chance to do their job.
I'm not sure if the stock pedals in the Focus are properly set up to help. Usually you have to get the pedals set up first and they have to be adjustable. Car makers these days are more interested in setting up pedals so that women can drive while wearing high heels. Ugh.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 153938
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus ZX3

Points 2,131, Level 27
Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 MisterMundane Good Standing Member
Not sure about your 08 but my 04 its very difficult to heel toe.

Near impossible with my footwear choice.

I just rev match normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

Points 1,770, Level 24
Points: 1,770, Level: 24 Points: 1,770, Level: 24 Points: 1,770, Level: 24
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Peddles on my 01 allowed me to heal toe a bit differantly. Basicly my big toe half of foot on brake and little toe half of foot on gas. Kinda side to side pivot of foot. Not a true heal toe method.

I test drove a 12 focus and peddle setup would not allow me tie this method I tout myself. 12 fiesta I test drove did allow me to use my method.

Not sure if that htelps any.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Old 06-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,393, Level 100
Points: 37,393, Level: 100 Points: 37,393, Level: 100 Points: 37,393, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moved to General Racing Chat.

Man that's cool. I drive my car like its some sort of truck. I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I do have 170k miles on a factory clutch that's almost 10 years old. It all depends on what's important to you.

I am going to have to move this to General Racing Chat as General Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. I believe that one of the racing chat sections will better serve to answer your question or you'll have dopes like me weighing in on things that don't matter to racers like friction disc life. My friction disc has outlasted my pressure plate I think.... whoa....either that or the DMF is finally crapping out.

Enjoy the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
It's not always the easiest, and figuring out what foot movements can get the right results varies with pedal placement & footwear.

Starting out by practicing rev match shifting will help a lot, get that figured out first so you're familiar with what you want the pedals to do when means you're only trying to learn one thing at a time.

I've often used the side of the foot to hit the throttle, most aren't set up so you could contort a heel to hit it.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 127858
What I Drive: 2008 Red S

FF Reputation: 1 cmatice Good Standing Member
Thank you all for your answers and the guy who moved this to a more suitable forum! I can't truly do heel toe. It is more of a big toe half, little toe half of foot (but same concept as heel toe). I'll just keep practicing and I'm sure I'll pick it up soon enough. Thanks again! You guys are always nice and helpful (and you relieve some of my nervousness. It's my first car and I had to pay half for it, so I have some money invested in it and it needs to make it through college for me, so 4 more years and then some while I'm searching for a job). Anyway, I'll shut up now.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Chat as long as you like, that's what these forums are for.

Heel/Toe routine is more for fun than practical use these days. It was developed when brakes were poor & engine braking was important to use to reduce the load on them (drum brakes). A lot more important with unsynchronized gearboxes as well, which were still used for racing long after disc brakes made an appearance. (Still around, and normal for Trucks)

After hard braking to a target speed, it's still useful to rev. match at times to help ease into the right gear smoothly so the transition to power on isn't jerky. Smooth is nice all the time, not just when it's needed, so learning that helps everyday driving.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

Points 953, Level 16
Points: 953, Level: 16 Points: 953, Level: 16 Points: 953, Level: 16
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The pedals on my '07 Civic Si and my '12 Mustang were perfect for heel and toe. I've found it's near impossible on my '09 Focus. Just found these though which seem to promise better heel and toe since the gas pedal has a little extension on the left side: http://www.performancepedals.com/for...cuspedals.html

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in