Ford EcoSport? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #21
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,816, Level 49
Points: 5,816, Level: 49 Points: 5,816, Level: 49 Points: 5,816, Level: 49
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Manufactures can make any vehicle look good....Its about the functionally & how it performs....The eco doesn't cut it over here. I wouldn't want something like that, but if thats what you want, have a look at the Buick Encore.....

The Edge Sport looks nice but the prices on those are ridiculous. I like the Fusion w/ the black factory wheels, but idk if I want to drive a 4-door Sedan. I might just find myself a frozen white ‘17 RS w/ the black wheels & be miserable driving a manual in LA Traffic lol

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 336401
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S 5-Spd MT

Points 261, Level 5
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 2 RyanLee036 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
The Edge Sport looks nice but the prices on those are ridiculous. I like the Fusion w/ the black factory wheels, but idk if I want to drive a 4-door Sedan. I might just find myself a frozen white ‘17 RS w/ the black wheels & be miserable driving a manual in LA Traffic lol

I'm in my 20s so my aversion to manual driving in traffic isn't there...yet

The Fusion is a good mid-size except the really dated interiors. I would rather purchase the Escape given the reasonable interior spacing and the exterior size. If only the Kuga with the manual 6-speed is available for North America...

But then again I have no brand loyalty so I'll just jump brand to brand for anything new with 3 pedals.
Pokerrun388 likes this.

Last edited by RyanLee036; 04-09-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #23
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 1,736, Level 24
Points: 1,736, Level: 24 Points: 1,736, Level: 24 Points: 1,736, Level: 24
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 16 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
I drove a 2017 Edge SEL 2.0 Ecoboost loaner for a week (for warranty replacement of my Focus SE's steering rack) and was surprised that it did not feel as ponderous as it looks compared to a Focus. Definitely more comfy and spacious interior than the Focus, or even the Fusion. I could get used to that, but an Escape would be easier to maneuver and park.

Watching fordtechmakuloco's Youtube videos about the problem he had with that engine (carbon on intake valves) in his Explorer would make me avoid it unless they add port+direct f.i.

He has another video about a customer's V6 he was repairing. When Ford rotated it from longitudinal mounting in pickups to transverse mounting in SUVs the water pump didn't fit. To fix that they moved it -- inside the timing cover. With that arrangement it is not only harder (more expensive) to replace, but if (when) it leaks it fills up the oil pan with coolant rather than spilling it on the ground. Totally destroys the engine if not detected and repaired immediately. (Can Ford do anything right, other than race cars?) Not sure whether the Sport (Edge or Fusion) V6 has the same problem, but they seem like overkill for getting stuck in traffic anyway, not to mention their cost.

The Fusion sedan would get around corners better than the Edge or Escape. Depends on whether you prefer the better handling or the taller seating and extra space. There's also the nuisance of loading and unloading the trunk through the smaller and lower opening than with a hatch.

A 2017 RS would be fun, but you'd have to be sure it had the later head gasket. That supposedly fixed the problem with it leaking coolant into the cylinders, but the block still has the open deck that is still highly stressed (getting >300 hp from 2.3 liters) so I wouldn't be surprised if it just makes them last byond the warranty before failing. Even if they are reliable now, the RS is even more "overqualified" for everyday driving than the Edge or Fusion Sport. See Matt Farah's Youtube video on why he sold his RS so quickly after getting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,116, Level 100
Points: 34,116, Level: 100 Points: 34,116, Level: 100 Points: 34,116, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:

Sounds really what you should be looking at is the Fusion sport w/ the p/u motor.....Its a automatic= check....Its awd= check......& its twin turboed= check.....
Arco-Zakus and Pokerrun388 like this.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #25
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,736, Level 24
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLee036 View Post
I'm in my 20s so my aversion to manual driving in traffic isn't there...yet ...
Same here, except 50 years later. And not for a lack of insane traffic to get stuck in where I live. (My aversion is still to driving automatics.) Heck, my left foot and right hand pretty much do what they need to automatically by now, and my first gear is low enough to go pretty slow between stops and go's.

The frustration of driving an RS, or even an ST, in heavy traffic is not just because they're manuals. It is also because all that extra performance is going to waste (along with the extra gas they burn). Unless you have the time, money, opportunity, and enthusiasm to take it on a track I can't imagine being able to enjoy owning one without getting a lot of speeding tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLee036 View Post
... The Fusion is a good mid-size except the really dated interiors. I would rather purchase the Escape given the reasonable interior spacing and the exterior size. If only the Kuga with the manual 6-speed is available for North America...

But then again I have no brand loyalty so I'll just jump brand to brand for anything new with 3 pedals.

Heh, heh -- "dated" stuff makes me feel right at home, being a bit that way myself. (My other car is 30 years old and I still like it.) The Fusion exterior is also starting to look a bit old, though not unattractive (to me, at least).

I don't know of any crossovers/SUVs with mauals in the US.

The only cars I know of that still have them are the Honda Accord Sport, Civic Si, one trim level Toyota Corolla hatchback (which has gotten much better reviews than previous Corollas) and maybe a few Mazdas. Slim pickin's. IMO, none look as good as my Mk3 Focus, nor are they as compact (except 2-seaters) and inexpensive.

Most are also turbocharged. With gasoline direct injection (GDI) that increases the risk of carbon caked intake valves. Adding port plus GDI supposedly fixes that, but boost has also given Honda problems with gasoline blowing by rings and diluting engine oil with (some of?) its turbos. Then there's the Focus RS head gasket problems and ST LSPI problems. I'll happily trade off lower power for better reliability. (There are apparently enough other things about my Focus that are likely to fail that I at least want to have a reliable engine.)
Pokerrun388 likes this.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #26
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,736, Level 24
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Sounds really what you should be looking at is the Fusion sport w/ the p/u motor.....Its a automatic= check....Its awd= check......& its twin turboed= check.....
Still kinda' pricey, but maybe being a sedan it might have a lower profile for drawing the attention of LEOs. That could save some $ on speeding tickets vs. an RS (or Civic Type R, or anything comparable). I love my little sedan, except for that tiny trunk opening. Not a big deal since my wife has a crossover with a large hatch if we need to haul anything bulky. Perfect combination.
Pokerrun388 likes this.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 04-10-2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #27
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,840, Level 39
Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Definitely more comfy and spacious interior than the Focus, or even the Fusion.
I haven't sat in a Fusion or Ecosport, but I'd think the Fusion would have the more spacious interior? I'm talking about front/rear seat area, not hatch/trunk.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #28
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 336401
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S 5-Spd MT

Points 261, Level 5
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 2 RyanLee036 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Same here, except 50 years later. And not for a lack of insane traffic to get stuck in where I live. (My aversion is still to driving automatics.) Heck, my left foot and right hand pretty much do what they need to automatically by now, and my first gear is low enough to go pretty slow between stops and go's.

The frustration of driving an RS, or even an ST, in heavy traffic is not just because they're manuals. It is also because all that extra performance is going to waste (along with the extra gas they burn). Unless you have the time, money, opportunity, and enthusiasm to take it on a track I can't imagine being able to enjoy owning one without getting a lot of speeding tickets.

I don't know of any crossovers/SUVs with mauals in the US.

The only cars I know of that still have them are the Honda Accord Sport, Civic Si, one trim level Toyota Corolla hatchback (which has gotten much better reviews than previous Corollas) and maybe a few Mazdas. Slim pickin's. IMO, none look as good as my Mk3 Focus, nor are they as compact (except 2-seaters) and inexpensive.
The only DCTs I have enjoyed was a Lamborghini Huracán Performante. But that is a completely different car to what us mere-mortals own. I know what you mean by driving an RS (less so the ST imo) seems like a waste for all the performance it can give out. As from an automotive journalist (SavageGeese): "It's so capable that you can't even utilize a quarter of its functions on normal roads".

From what I know the Jeep Compass and the Subaru Crosstrek are still offered with 6-speed manuals. Of course the Jeep Wrangler does so too but it's in a class of it's own.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #29
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,116, Level 100
Points: 34,116, Level: 100 Points: 34,116, Level: 100 Points: 34,116, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
I haven't sat in a Fusion or Ecosport, but I'd think the Fusion would have the more spacious interior? I'm talking about front/rear seat area, not hatch/trunk.
Really no comparison......Fusion ftw....
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in