Dodge Dart production to end - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 175833
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Titanium Hatch

Points 4,812, Level 44
Points: 4,812, Level: 44 Points: 4,812, Level: 44 Points: 4,812, Level: 44
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 CFHGARZA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dodge Dart production to end

Looks like the Focus is going to lose some of its competition.
Quote:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne said today that the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 sedans will eventually be discontinued as the automaker refocuses its efforts on the production of its popular Jeep SUVs, Ram pickups and boosting its electric vehicle lineup.

Marchionne said the strategy is a response to market trends in the U.S. that include gas prices that have dropped to about $2 per gallon and a shift in buying patterns among Americans back to crossovers and trucks instead of cars.

The strategy also is designed to help the automaker boost production capacity for Ram and Jeep and suggests that the company will move the production of some of those models to other plants. Currently, the company cannot make enough Jeep Cherokees and Jeep Wranglers to meet demand and also struggles to make enough Ram pickups.

"We have decided to de-focus, from the manufacturing standpoint, to de-focus on the passenger car market. There are two cars in particular, the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200, which will run their course," Marchionne said during a conference call with Wall Street analysts on Wednesday. "Without creating additional capacity, in the United States, we need to ... to try and deal with the development of both Jeep and the Ram brand."

The news is stunning, given the investments made to develop the Dart and the Chrysler 200. The automaker invested more than $1 billion to overhaul its Sterling Heights Assembly Plant to build an all-new Chrysler 200 midsize sedan that launched in 2014 and spent $600 million to launch the Dart compact car in 2012. To be fair, many of the improvements made at both plants help the automaker build any vehicle.

The Dart failed to meet sales expectations. It is among the larger compact cars on the market and is priced higher than competitors. Just over 87,000 were sold last year. The Chrysler 200 has been praised for its exterior styling and is viewed as a competitive car in its segment but has cramped rear seats.

Marchionne hinted that the Dart and Chrysler 200 could return to the market if FCA found another manufacturer willing to build the cars.

2016 Chrysler 200 C
2016 Chrysler 200 C (Photo: A.J. Mueller FCA US)
"There will be a number of things that will be put in place in the next 18 months -- things that have been agreed and detailed, that will effectively withdraw the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart from the marketplace, for a long period of time, during which we will be continuing discussions with potential partners," Marchionne said.

The automaker now is aiming to sell more than 2 million Jeeps globally by 2018, an increase from its prior target of 1.9 million annual sales. FCA sold more than 1.2 million Jeep SUVs globally in 2015 -- the most in the history of the brand.

While the strategy will help FCA find additional capacity for its most popular vehicles, it also positions the company as largely a manufacturer of trucks and SUVs. Removing small cars from the lineup leaves FCA vulnerable to gas price increases in the future.

Marchionne said decisions have been made to help the company achieve the production capacity it needs for Ram and Jeep. A number of plans will be put in place over the next 18 months, but he but did not outline those plans.

The Chrysler 200 is made in Sterling Heights and the Dodge Dart is made in Belvidere, Ill. The Free Press, along with a number of other publications, have previously reported that the automaker plans to move production of its Ram pickup to Sterling Heights and move its Jeep Cherokee to Belvidere, Ill. It also is expected that the Jeep Grand Wagoneer will be built at Warren Truck.

2016 Dodge Dart Blacktop
2016 Dodge Dart Blacktop (Photo: Douglas Schaible, FCA)
Marchionne did not confirm any of those moves today.

The automaker has said it will launch its next-generation Jeep Wrangler in 2017, and will make the Wrangler in Toledo in the plant where the Cherokee is currently made. The company has not said what vehicle it will produce in plant in Toledo where the Wrangler is currently made.

I think the important thing for us to reinforce is the fact that the Wrangler, in its new home in Toledo, will have additional production capacity available to try and meet demand on a global scale, and I think its important for us to have found a home for the Grand Wagoneer family, both the Grand Wagoneer and the Wagoneer in whatever shape they come," Marchionne said.

There are also plans to add diesel and hybrid electric versions of the next-generation Jeep Wrangler when it goes on sale by 2018. The company also plans to offer "next-generation powertrains" on its next Ram pickup and produce a mild hybrid version of its Ram pickup.
Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200 to go away under new FCA plan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 178305
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE Hatch Sport Pkg

Points 496, Level 9
Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 5 dchawk81 Good Standing Member
The Chrysler 200 is too bloody expensive. That's why no one is buying it.

I considered it when I got my Focus but by the time I optioned it half decently the payment would have been obnoxious.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 33,556, Level 100
Points: 33,556, Level: 100 Points: 33,556, Level: 100 Points: 33,556, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I just don't get this, Where are the engineers that were running Chrysler back in the '60's/ '70's? Fiat of all ppl dealing w/ small vehicles can't come out w/ anything? No srt4? I really figured they'd come out w/ a srt4 soon after the regular Dart came out. So no more small/ mid size cars for them, wow? Bring back the engineers that were running it, vs all the top tier management. Their running it into the ground, least they still have Jeep/Ram & for a short time the LX platform cars.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 16 FoST

Points 14,726, Level 78
Points: 14,726, Level: 78 Points: 14,726, Level: 78 Points: 14,726, Level: 78
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 31 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Poor management, low quality, and crap pricing. I really enjoy the styling on both vehicles but I am sadly not surprised to see more Chrysler/Fiat products failing to sell well.

2016 Kona Blue Focus ST - current DD and cone killing machine

Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 496, Level 9
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I just don't get this, Where are the engineers that were running Chrysler back in the '60's/ '70's?
They're dead or in retirement homes. They'd be like, 100 years old.
rob_gray likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 243817
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE HB,Tux Blk Met.

Points 6,257, Level 51
Points: 6,257, Level: 51 Points: 6,257, Level: 51 Points: 6,257, Level: 51
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 strtrkstooge Good Standing Member
Anyone who thinks that low gas prices are permanent is in for a shock. I am enjoying them while they last, but I am not nave enough to believe they will stay this way.
To change an entire marketing strategy based on an extremely volatile market, to me, is short sighted.
Sure they can make more of what is wanted but once or if oil and gas prices rise, then we will have tons of vehicles that no one will need.
felixthecat and Pennut like this.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Points 496, Level 9
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Oh they have a plan for that. They'll crank out more of those retarded looking pseudoJeeps.

I think they call it the Renegade.
DognamedMack and felixthecat like this.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 33,556, Level 100
Points: 33,556, Level: 100 Points: 33,556, Level: 100 Points: 33,556, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
They're dead or in retirement homes. They'd be like, 100 years old.
Yea, IK its just wow, I really don't know what to say, I'd thought that Fiat of all company's w/ small vehicle experience would know. Yea I could see a stop gap model & then come out w/ a updated model.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 01-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
They can always bring more FIAT's in, like they're doing with the new small SUV.

Leaves a gap in the middle, but they aren't selling anything well in that competitive segment anyways.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: '95 Neeeeon, '12 Mustang, '05 ZXW

Points 32,573, Level 100
Points: 32,573, Level: 100 Points: 32,573, Level: 100 Points: 32,573, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 42 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
its like the Daimler merger all over again. Mismanaging Chrysler into oblivion then theyll unload it

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in