Powershift begins production!!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Powershift begins production!!!!

Posted via FF Mobile My favortie up and comin auto trans has started production as of yesterday. Cant wait to test drive a car with one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/ford-powershift-transmission-starts-production/

Production of new PowerShift dual-clutch automatic transmission for new 2011 Ford Fiesta begins today, helping Ford deliver on its plan for offering fuel-saving six-speed transmissions across its product portfolio
Fiesta with PowerShift joins the 2011 Mustang Coupe V-6 as the second recent Ford vehicle to offer better fuel economy with an automatic transmission than a manual
PowerShift characteristics are particularly well-suited to smaller car applications, making the transmission a perfect fit for Fiesta and the upcoming Ford Focus
Advanced technology with energy-saving electromechanical actuation system minimizes friction helping PowerShift deliver an expected class-leading fuel economy

DEARBORN, Mich., March 29, 2010 Helping deliver on Ford Motor Company's commitment to class-leading fuel economy and exceptional driving quality, production is launching today of the PowerShift dual-clutch automatic transmission for the 2011 Ford Fiesta.

The new dual-clutch automatic the first six-speed transmission in the segment will help the stylish Fiesta to deliver an expected best-in-class fuel economy rating of at least 40 mpg on the highway with the convenience of fully automatic shifting.

The PowerShift automatic is produced for Ford by GETRAG Americas, a joint venture between the GETRAG Group and GETRAG FORD Transmissions. The transmission is built at a new facility in Irapuato, Mexico. The assembly plant was designed and constructed specifically for Ford transmission needs in North America and will also supply PowerShift units for the new Ford Focus. When Focus transmission production begins later this year, the plant will have 400 workers, double the amount that it has now. Next-generation Focus production begins later this year at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich.

"We believe this new automatic transmission for the Fiesta will be the most advanced in the segment, offering far better performance than our competitors," said Piero Aversa, team leader for PowerShift development. "It's an advanced gearbox that reduces complexity, saves weight, increases responsiveness and performance all while helping keep the engine in its peak efficiency mode resulting in class-leading fuel economy."

Ford eliminating automatic transmission tradeoffs
The Fiesta is the second new Ford vehicle to deliver better fuel economy using an automatic transmission rather than a manual. The new six-speed automatic in the 2011 Mustang Coupe betters the highway fuel economy of the standard six-speed manual by 2 mpg.

Traditionally, manual transmissions have delivered higher fuel economy. But Ford's latest automatic transmission advancements have reversed the decades-old scenario, using advanced technology to provide customers with exceptional efficiency and the convenience of an automatic transmission.

With an array of new automatic transmission technologies, Ford is out to challenge the status quo by delivering segment-leading fuel economy without compromise to convenience, and accessibility to a much broader segment of the driving public. Fewer drivers possess stick-shift skills, as manual transmission market acceptance continues to drop, falling 22 percent over the last decade.

"Ford's advanced new six-speed automatic transmissions will really surprise our customers, and our competitors," said Barb Samardzich, vice president of Powertrain Development. "They provide the convenience of traditional automatics with fuel economy leadership, as well as responsive performance and driving dynamics that make these cars fun to drive. And we're adding six-speed transmissions to our most accessible vehicles, not just our luxury offerings and high-performance models."

Ford is committed to six-speed transmissions, with availability across 85 percent of its nameplates for 2010. By 2013, these fuel-saving, performance-enhancing six-speed transmissions will be offered in 100 percent of Ford vehicles.

About PowerShift
The dual dry-clutch PowerShift automatic transmission is based on efficient manual transmission technology, eliminating the additional weight and complexity of a torque converter, planetary gears and the fluid pumps employed in traditional automatics. Electronically controlled, twin internal clutches shift gears quickly and smoothly, providing a seamless flow of torque with the refinement and ease customers expect from a premium automatic transmission.

On sale this summer, the Ford Fiesta with PowerShift, in combination with an advanced 1.6-liter I-4 engine, is expected to deliver fuel efficiency of at least 40 mpg on the highway. Fiesta will be the only vehicle in the segment to offer the efficiency and the fun of a sophisticated six-speed automatic transmission.

Coming to market early in 2011, the new Ford Focus will combine an innovative, direct-injection 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with PowerShift to deliver better overall performance and projected fuel economy gains of up to 10 percent over the current Focus 2.0-liter powertrain.

"A dual dry-clutch transmission provides some real dividends on small car applications," said Aversa. "PowerShift with dry-clutch facings and new energy-saving electromechanical actuation for clutches and gear shifts saves weight, improves efficiency, increases smoothness, adds durability and is sealed with low-friction gear lubricant for the life of the vehicle. This transmission requires no regular maintenance."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Ehh...

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: 02 SC SVT

Points 20,025, Level 89
Points: 20,025, Level: 89 Points: 20,025, Level: 89 Points: 20,025, Level: 89
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
mmm a six speed dual clutch auto?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Has anyone driven a Fiesta hard with this tranny? Does it feel close to a manual tranny? It sounds really interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

Points 5,568, Level 48
Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Theoretically it shifts faster than any human can with a regular manual. But I know the experience definitely won't be the same without the clutch pedal. Like an automatic, it will probably still have a tendency to upshift or downshift in ways you might not want it to on occasion. But I'm sure there'll be paddle shifters or a "tiptronic" mode to give you additional control.

Anyway it's definitely good news for automatic drivers. It's infinitely better than traditional automatics with the torque converter, as well as the boring CVT. The gap between 0-60 times between manual vs "automatic" will be shortened, albeit the dual clutch tranny will still have a slight weight disadvantage and higher maintenance fees (if something goes wrong). Great fuel economy too.

Major props to Ford for bringing dual clutch transmissions to the masses. Hopefully this will become the norm across every manufacturer, for anyone wanting an automatic.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 55338
What I Drive: 2000 VW Passat TDI

FF Reputation: 3 Executionerhk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
sound great.
but i am still going to have my good old clutch, because this is the way car should be driven. maybe i am not good at it yet, but hey i can always learn to be better.

that paddle shifter, i can use it when i play video game, but not in my real car LOL!!
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Bone Stock Yellow ZX3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"SOLD"
"REBORN" w/ AZFS22C Gap 0.060and Ford Racing Wire
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Im really thinking this can be a neat thing for racing. Like Moose said a human can not out shift the computer, but automatics usally dont sit in the right gear. If there is a paddle or slap stick option to this tranny, I think it could be the best auto tranny out there.

Just think about road racing, being able to turn and shift without having to take power away from the wheels. I just hoped its geared well. My Equniox had a 5 speed auto but first gear was way to long.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Well anything will be better then the autotragic atx we have in the focus now. Cant stand that thig and it is far from smooth with the clunky tq convertor. Fuel efficiency is seriously hurt with it too. Theres plenty of times, especially in traffic where the car shifts and i dont want it to bc a milli second later it shifts back down...you get caught at those times in the right gear or speed and itll do things that u dont want it too. This PowerShift trans is a god send. Itll be available in the Fiesta but at launch itll not be able to be shifted manaully...as of right now. The ford focus can be but only with the shifter, i believe its stalk mounted buttons. Im sure once Ford gets more into this theyll be designing paddle shifters they can use, especially on the sport models. I suspect major changes will come the model year after launch as far as paddle shifters go.

The shift points are supposed to be good, geared toward fuel economy obviously but supposedly when u get on it it will hold onto gears in manual mode and not upshift to the next gear. For the average car im sure the shift program will be for mostly for fuel economy bc not everyone is driving the hell out of their focus or fiesta. But if they shove thisnin a sport model too im sure theyll be tweaking it to compete with some of the other great dual clutch autos out there.

Btw ferrari seems to feel this f1 trans is better then a three peddle arangment as theyl be discountinuing the standard option for all there cars in the next year and already have begun so. The ferrari california just got the option for drivers to rowtheir own but that will onlylast a year or so.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,367, Level 20
Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
As long as it will take some mild boost without needing an overhaul, I will be happy.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2008 SE GRAY

Points 543, Level 10
Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 4 autolite Good Standing Member
Ford is still giving you 2 choices 1. is the power shift 2. is a regular manual both are 6-speeds.Right now the power shift was developed and made in Germany by Luk.Then assembly is going to be done in Mexico with most stampings done in the U.S.A.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in