02 ZX3 Build - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 397665
What I Drive: 02 White ZX3

Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Newengfocu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
02 ZX3 Build

Acquiring a Focus

I found a 02 ZX3 listed for sale as a "rally car" on the local Craigslist. They mentioned transmission problems but also said they had done some work to prep the car for rally cross. When my buddy c0alition and I arrived we found the focus had a blown dif and some interesting modifications. Interior was stripped, mismatched race seats, harnesses, airbags ripped out, clutch replaced recently, and sunroof removed with sheet metal fairly neatly covering the hole. There was also a collection of parts in the back of the car new in boxes including MSS rear disc conversion kit, hydraulic ebrake, a few suspension parts, etc. I decided to offer the guy a grand and called up the towing company to bring it home to start the adventure.

The current goal for this car is to have some fun going around cones at some autocross events, try out a track day, and maybe dabble into rallycross. The power goal is about 175-200hp with a small turbo while maintaining stock engine internals.

Here's how it looked that first couple days:

Acquiring another Focus

A friend had an 01 ZX3 sitting in his driveway for years, and I now had need for a new transmission and spare parts. They gave me the car for the low price of towing it out of their driveway. It had been sitting through New England weather for a few years and it really showed. The subframes were rusted through and it definitely wasn't starting up, but it was perfect for what I would need.

Tearing Focuses apart

Now it was time to have some fun and pull my first and second ever engines/transmissions. The first one I pulled at my home garage with the help of c0alition. The drivers side axle proved difficult to remove so we pulled it with it attached.

almost there...

finally...

I smartened up a bit and pulled the second in a larger garage that I have access to. The second time was much easier thanks to a forklift, an extra set of helping hands, and maybe a couple of lessons learned from the first one(like having c0alition remove that tricky bolt on the starter).

before...

during...

after...

2 motors/transmissions are now sitting on skids just waiting to be taken apart some more. The plans are to clean them up, and swap transmissions so I have one running set. While everything is out of the car I figured I will do some other maintenance like replacing water pump, and alternator. And some power adding....

Making the Focus go Choowawawawaaa

Acquired a DSM turbo model: te04h-13c with a manifold and downpipe from C0alition in need of some TLC. These turbos are OEM from Dodge Daytona's and Chrysler LeBaron's. I was looking for something that would spool up quickly and produce a little bit of power [strike]since I am keeping stock internals[/strike], this should fit the bill. There was very minimal shaft play, with no evidence of rubbing on the housing. Rebuild kit is on the way, and soon it will be sent off for bead blasting and rebuild.

The wastegate was stuck open, the arm was stuck up against the housing from a misalignment caused by the mount welded onto the flange being off. The actuator was originally mounted to the cold side housing, but in order to run the piping the direction that makes most sense this needs to be spun around. I took it apart and found once the arm was free from rubbing it functioned normally. My plan is to grab an adjustable from Mambatek anyways, so I will just have to figure out a mount for it when that time comes.

Next the manifold/flange pipe had the worlds ugliest weld, upon taking it apart we found the weld was cracked almost entirely around. This will be getting welded again.

Turbo has been rebuilt and bead blasted by a local shop. It came out really nice, the new adjustable wastegate actuator is on the way, figuring out how to mount that with the clocking change will be the next challenge.

Motor is up on the stand now and most everything removed. It is in need of a really good cleaning.

Mocked up the turbo off the motor just to see how it looks. Intake side clocking will need to change, probably going to point it down.

I decided to build the engine... I had not come to a complete decision at this point as to exactly which components to purchase, but the first step was disassembling the motor. C0alition stopped by and we took it apart in a few hours. It was my first time doing this so we took our time and I got to really see how motor functioned, really cool.

Next step now is to bring the block and crank to the machine shop for some work.

Making the Focus go Skrrrrrt Skrrrrrrrrt

I have two transmissions available, one with a blown stock differential and 200k on it, and the other was functioning normally when it was parked for a few years(to my knowledge) with 176k on it. I am going to take the latter and purchase an Mfactory Helical Limited Slip Differential to be installed, as well as a refresh of the transmission as needed.

First time pulling a transmission off of a motor. Its much easier when you remove all of the bell housing bolts, I learned.

Expelliarmus...

I did the same thing for the other motor/transmission I have. This way I have a spare if it is needed.

To be continued...

Last edited by Newengfocu; 02-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62015
What I Drive: '02 Focus ZX3

Points 947, Level 16
Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 c0alition Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
More pictures of making the car unusable plz. I wanna see the destruction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old and Busted:
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/forced-induction/134815-zetec-turbo.html
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Still an unbuild thread... maybe one day things will actually start getting put back into the car :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Added some updates from over the weekend.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408833
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SVT

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 mrniceguy Good Standing Member
What do those engines normally make at the wheels, around 120-130ish? How much boost will you need to hit your goal with that turbo, maybe only around 7lbs? That's plenty to have fun in around 2600-2700lbs or less.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hey mrniceguy, I believe you are correct about 130 stock, at production. I am not sure if that was to the wheels however. Yes, I think around 7-10 psi(which is what these oem turbos would do back in the day) should get me close to that number. I think it will be really fun, it is also a few pounds lighter considering the previous owner ripped the interior out.

I owned a MK6 GTI which was over 3,000 lbs, produced about the same power and was a huge amount of fun.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408833
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SVT

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 mrniceguy Good Standing Member
Yeah, for all of the hype and love that mega horsepower cars get on the internet, personally I've always preferred something that I can drive nearer the limits without hitting warp speeds on a track lol. I had a little '93 Altima 2.4L for years that made around 150-160whp with bolt ons and around 2850lbs, it was lots of fun around town, kindof a point and shoot little car.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I agree! Especially considering the main goal is autocross, big power wont be necessary.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Tore down the engine last night, added some photos of that!
Old 02-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 409169
What I Drive: 2018 Magnetic SE Ecoboost

Points 121, Level 2
Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FocScot Good Standing Member
Looks great. I feel like this is a little old school and I love it. Get it close to 200bhp, make it light, get it to handle/ride well and it'll be a class track toy. Looking forward to seeing how this moves forward.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in