The TICK build thread - Page 23 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120373
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST3 Tuxedo Black

Points 3,893, Level 39
Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 1 okaythen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wow very nice, you been to the nurburgring?! awesomeness! subbed
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #222
Thats What She Said

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 MB ZX3, 2004 SY SVT ZX5

Points 20,501, Level 90
Points: 20,501, Level: 90 Points: 20,501, Level: 90 Points: 20,501, Level: 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 23 Magus2727 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
wow very nice, you been to the nurburgring?! awesomeness! subbed
I have been there... Bought the tee shirt... Hahah. But unfortunately was unable to race on it. I was there for business and checked a few weeks in advance and it was going to be open. But the day before driving out I checked the schedule and it showed that there was a touring car race that got rescheduled for that weekend.

So instead of driving a car on it I saw others much more skilled than me driving around. Was able to go to the famous Pinocchios Pizza and also Sabine Schmitt s family's dinner.

And I guess if there was any question I did not have my car over in Germany. Had a rental and was going to get a track car rental for the track. I know there is one guy here that actually took his US spec car to the ring and drove it.
okaythen likes this.

Last edited by Magus2727; 06-03-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #223
Thats What She Said

Points 20,501, Level 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
got quite a bit of work done on the car over the last few weekends.

Got the front radiator support bracket from GTS Racing and was able to get it installed:

Its a tight fit for the SVT header but was able to wedge it in.

Powdercoat in that area wont survive long...

But to fit the support I found out that my lines to my AC heat condenser core were in the way so, why not pull it now....

good buy old AC.

The AC was gone so when i opened the system I barely got a his. 5-6 drops of oil was all that came out.

Got a standard Gates belt on. it was a PITA to get on compared to past belts. I think that my old belt was just worn so was a little stretched but getting on the new belt for the length with no AC was quite the task. but got it on and opened up some space in that part of the engine bay.

I cut the lines at the passenger wheel well. I will work on getting the lines out and the evaporator out of the dash when I work to pull more of the interior climate controls.

With the condenser out I think I really need to figure out a shroud for my radiator. The gap is now HUGE. having the aftermarket bumper does not help either as I cant find or use the stock air deflectors. So some custom work is likely on order. The race weekend looks to be in the low 80's so wont be a HOT day but will need to keep an eye on temps and may have to get the shroud worked out before the potential Aug or September track day.

On top of that I have worked with Damond Motorsports to fit check and sample a brake caliper bushing for the SVT brakes.

I am please to announce that they fit and the short drive around the block was good. I am taking the car out to the track the 14th and 15th so will get a full run down there.

This removes the old rubber bushing insert and puts in what appears to be a brass bushing with a gasket to keep it sealed. the much tighter tolerances allow for much less deflection in the caliper under braking. so the brake pad surface keeps a more consistent and uniform contact patch.

On inspecting and doing these brakes I found that my driver side was down to 4.5mm of pad material and the passenger had more (did not measure but the groves in the center of the pad where just barely visible. Going to swap them out after the track session. Should be able to get nine 20-25 min sessions in on these pads before they are gone. Hope to get to HPDE4 by the end so I can get and use the HAWK contingency program and get the 30% discount on some HP+.

Car is coming along.

If you are running a full synthetic how often to you change your oil if the car is more or less sitting? I have started it and let it idle (and done a few throttle revs) and get up to temperature every 30-45 days. But has not seen more than 30-40 miles in the last year+ (trying to find when I did the last oil change and I cant find it...) Oil is a shade darker than new but is still a clear medium amber color.
SvviftSVT likes this.

Last edited by Magus2727; 06-09-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #224
Thats What She Said

Points 20,501, Level 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Well I think I fixed the cruise control. The silly sensors that are on the pedals don't always stay put being 19 years old. The green one had popped out.

I have not looked at the electrical schematics yet but guessing the green one is for the cruise control. Black and red are the other two colors, so one will be for brake lights and not sure what the other would be. Used if the car was a automatic for starting?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #225
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: 05 ST Focus 2014, 2016 SE Champion,

Points 971, Level 16
Points: 971, Level: 16 Points: 971, Level: 16 Points: 971, Level: 16
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Use best judgement but without an oil cooler and the way the header runs under the oil pan adding more heat to the pan change the oil before each event. The zetec like the duratec carries tremendous oil temps and without an oil temp gauge this is the best cheap insurance. We just came off track running two duratec motor cars at Charlotte motor speedway. One 90 min enduro with extended time at full throttle in 3/4/5 gears and we saw temp over 350*. Nervous yes until I stopped looking at the gauge and just went to drain and fill before any event. Preventive maintenance on the car on every system is your best program. Spares brought to the track mean u won’t need them, it makes for a more enjoyable time at the track not wrenching
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #226
Thats What She Said

Points 20,501, Level 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by msperber View Post
Use best judgement but without an oil cooler and the way the header runs under the oil pan adding more heat to the pan change the oil before each event. The zetec like the duratec carries tremendous oil temps and without an oil temp gauge this is the best cheap insurance. We just came off track running two duratec motor cars at Charlotte motor speedway. One 90 min enduro with extended time at full throttle in 3/4/5 gears and we saw temp over 350*. Nervous yes until I stopped looking at the gauge and just went to drain and fill before any event. Preventive maintenance on the car on every system is your best program. Spares brought to the track mean u won’t need them, it makes for a more enjoyable time at the track not wrenching
Thanks! have an oil pressure gauge, but no oil temp. I have a "spare" SVT Oil "cooler" have been thinking about running that or just going with a full cooler that uses a sandwitch plate w/ built in thermostat and run lines to a cooler.

I hope to be able to pick up a off road pipe and wrap it to help with the whole exhaust right under the oil pan.

I think I will be good for this weekend. Will change it for next track day for sure. It has been a while since I was at the track so will be taking things slower... but I say that now, I am sure that will change once I actuially get on the track.
SvviftSVT likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #227
Focus Enthusiast

Points 971, Level 16
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Be slow to add a cooler, oil pressure drops over the length of the lines to the cooler. We built multiple motors and lost them all with everything pointing to pressure and volume drops due to oil cooler. Sounds crazy but new motor runs great, install cooler to bring down oil temp, lose motor. Two years now with no cooler and same motors in both cars. Yes they were always new coolers, it becomes an issue of oil pump volume and size of oil lines. Change the oil frequently if you don’t install a cooler. Cheap insurance. My wallet is proof.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #228
Thats What She Said

Points 20,501, Level 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
I will get the oil changed after this weekend at the track.

I will also likely look at getting a Escape oil cooler (like the SVT) and get the C-F-M silicone hose kit for those extra bits and run that kind of cooler. That way its as minimal as possible. Also a minimal of cooling but at least its something? Not sure how much that kind of cooler actually works. But anything helps.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #229
Thats What She Said

Points 20,501, Level 90
Level Up 31% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Well, had a great time at the track. Nothing broke!

Father-in-law brought out his RV and we stayed at the track. Had a good sunset the Thursday night:

Woke up and ready to race:

some action shots:

Now have more authentic "body" damage i.e. rubber marks from having fun:

Car drove well and handled great. Happy with the alignment. I need to get the laser temp sensor and start measuring temperatures and pressures. Measured tire roll and was not getting to much roll but might need to drop the PSI a bit.

Need new brake pads. Going to go with the HP+.

Got bumped up to HPDE4 so can use the HAWK discount but that discount is the same as just buying them on Amazon... so yea.

Need to figure out the oil. I think my C-F-M PCV delete is venting to much oil out into the catch can (about 2-3 cups worth after a 20 min drive session). So during some of the 35 min sessions I noticed my oil fluctuated a bit when in a long high speed turn. Over filled the oil by a few cups to compensate for the loss but need to get it fixed. Might go back to the stock oil air seperator so it will drain back into the oil. But can say the oil in the engine is looking still brand new and the stuff I pull from the catch can is black. Need to do a compression check to make sure the motor is strong but know that this is common for this part, works great under normal driving, but when at sustained high speed RPM's...

Also might look at an oil accumulator to compensate if the pressure drops a bit. When I start my engine build over the winter I am contemplating on going with a dry sump system and get cams and tune things up for a high rev motor. High compression, 110 octane, making power to +7k RPM likely still a dream but have most the parts for it, just need the cams, pistons and dry sump.
SvviftSVT and 02fordsvt like this.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #230
Focus Enthusiast

Points 971, Level 16
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Not familiar with your catch tank but make sure u are routing the hose with an up hill travel to the tank and is the tank vented well. We have a duratec motor, the pvc system delete is on the front of the block. The catch tank is mounted drivers side on the strut tower. Not well vented, tank full, big filter on the tank almost no blow by, and that’s what your gettin. Don’t overfill the motor keep tabs on the level, over is almost as bad as under. Look at a bigger filter for more capacity. We ran at Charlotte Motor Speedway last week, after the review of the data and video we were hitting the limiter in 5th gear and we were in this gear longer than any other track we run, very little oil puking. Bent that catch tank. Pics were great, doing it with family is even more special. Congrats

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in