quick (hopfuly) question about abs delete - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 232402
What I Drive: 2002 blue svt

Points 1,290, Level 19
Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 MaverickMachinist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
quick (hopfuly) question about abs delete

I am considering deleting the ABS in my SVT. Here is the quick run down on why.

I currently have the complete k member out of the car, as well as engine trans and just about everything else forward of the firewall. I am replacing most of the steering and susp. components such as control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, hub/wheel bearings, ect., ect. blasting and painting everything along the way so that everything will look and act brandy new

when removing the wheel bearings I inevitably broke the wheel speed sensors, I was going to just replace them but with my future plans for the car and front suspension i would eventually have to get rid of the abs any way and honestly I'm not a huge fan of it in the first place.

so i'm trying to think through what changes I would have to make to do so now. I'm thinking most of the mechanical changes should be pretty straight forward, remove abs pump/module/wiring, change some break lines and use something along the lines of a wilwood adj. proportioning valve to tie everything together.

Now for the reason i posted in the tuning section. my SVT is a street car and I would like to keep it that way and in my home state I will have to pas inspection and having the abs light on is a no-go. I searched and couldn't find much definitive info on the changes needed to the ECM to make everything happy, a few people talked about swapping to a non abs ECM but with mine being a SVT I don't think that's an option. It sounds like that this problem can be taken care of with a tune? is it as simple as "tuning off" the readiness monitors for the ABS module. also what will have to be done if anything to make sure that the ECM wont freak out due to missing WSS for the traction control (another feature I could live without)

as a side note I already have the SCT tuner (through tom) and will likely be getting the Advantage software myself for ECM tuning anyway

thanks in advance for your input, I have had to back burner this whole project for over a year and I'm itching to make some headway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,828, Level 100
Points: 100,828, Level: 100 Points: 100,828, Level: 100 Points: 100,828, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
The ABS does not go through the ECU

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,290, Level 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
it may not go through the ecm but it must at least talk to it, or traction control wouldn't have communication with the wheel speed sensors, will deleting the abs sensors through any ecm trouble codes in that regard. or does the system not use the knuckle mounted abs sensors for traction control?

if it cant be done using the SCT tuner software then what other module or changes would I have to make to eliminate any abs lights or codes that could be picked up with an inspection computer. I know not all foci came with abs and the little bit of information i have found on doing this seemed to indicate that they swapped or where using a ecm out of a non abs car

When I worked at the dealership I had my inspection licence, although it was a few years ago I remember (at least in NH) the inspection machine prompted you you check for the ABS light, but i never really knew if the machine actually has access to check for abs readiness monitors like it does for emissions/ecm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,290, Level 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Ok, so after doing more research on how the ABS/TC works,(and not just how to delete it) I think I have made some conclusions. so it seems that the TC is accomplished by using the ABS pump to apply the brakes and not how I originally thought it would by affecting engine power (can anyone confirm?) so my fears of throwing an PCM code doesn't seem to be possible

assuming I have that part figured out, I will restate my previous question more clearly...

If I remove the ABS/TC unit and all wss, can the SCT software eliminate the ABS warning light and any readiness monitors or codes that could be picked up on an OBD2 scan.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
FF Affiliate

Points: 100,828, Level: 100 Points: 100,828, Level: 100 Points: 100,828, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
No , the ABS does not go through the ECU/PCM

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,290, Level 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
are you saying that the SCT software is not capable of doing this or accessing anything other than the PCM, because I have heard you talk about "sometimes" being able to disable traction control with a tune? and that makes your answer somewhat confusing

or are you saying no to confirm that the removal of the ABS/TC will not set any trouble codes in the pcm

giving short, vague,repetitive answers isn't really helping me get a better understanding of my questions,I get your a busy guy and cant spend hours on any specific topic or anything and its not like you have any obligation to help me or anything....but it seems like whenever I have a question here and you reply to it I cant get any meaningful discussion out of it...

idk about anyone else her and maybe I'm the one being a jerk but I'm not here to just get an answer to a question, but to actually understand why things work or don't work
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
FF Affiliate

Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
The TC works mostly through the ABS but once the TC is triggered it tells the PCM and also effects the TQ settings and timing so the engine has a loss in power other then that the ECU/PCM doesnt do anything else for the ABS

I have never seen any ABS settings in the SCT software for any strategy or year Focus , now saying all that really doesnt tell you anything more then , the ABS does not go through the ECU/PCM

Wasnt trying to be short just straight to the point

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,290, Level 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
actually that clarifies most of the questions I still had, thank you. like I said I'm on here to get a better understanding, not just be spoon feed answers. now I actually know how the TC strategy works and knowing that helps me have a better idea of what I'm actually doing

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in