Turbo SVT - End of my rope tuning issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 61137
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Turbo

Points 1,028, Level 17
Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Lurker27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turbo SVT - End of my rope tuning issue

Car has 130k on the clock. Turbo around 125k.

Log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B94sDC9M_Th5QUhsQlk5bmgtTmZ5QnJfOWF3R1BPNHNGZDZn/view?usp=sharing

I recently did some work to the SVT, which was running fine. This behavior didn't change immediately upon the work, so I think it's unrelated, but it's the install of a new, smaller watercooled ball bearing turbo, and a LSD in the trans, as well as cleaning up a bunch of exhaust leaks. It started with intermittent cut-outs, but now the car is undrivable at any kind of load.

Looking at the log, it seems like the advance bogs to zero every time I hit any sort of load - but I don't know if that's cause or symptom, much less how to fix it! Here's a picture of that behavior:

https://imgur.com/a/ESw8RqI

(The advance isn't ramping over time, that's just an artifact of the graph, there are no points. It drops from 16 to zero in <1 second when throttle exceeds 500!)

I unplugged/cut out the KS to eliminate it completely for this run. My tuner says that the KS is eliminated. The behavior didn't really change. Boost is stable at ~8psi on the wastegate currently.

It seems to make boost OK, but at partial OR WOT it does a kind of BRRAAAPPP and does not accelerate hardly at all - it's undrivable above about 40 mph, it's not just "down to NA power" or similar like a big charge pipe leak.

Vid:

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Vacuum:
In terms of leaks, I thought it was maybe the vacuum line that references the fuel pressure sensor, so I redid all that tubing and checked all the charge piping connections.

Ignition:
Checks the plugs as well and they look fine - no real signs of fouling or detonation. They're just the standard motorcraft coppers, which were working fine before. Idle and neutral rev (log attached) work fine. Should I get and gap new fresh coppers just in case? Something else? I did the coil and wires at 95k and they look fine to the eye.

I changed the fuel filter, ran through some seafoam on a 1/8th tank in order to flush the fuel system of any bad gas, then filled up with fresh 93 - no change.

Compression:
I have NOT run compression tests yet, but I have checked both oil and coolant for the telltale signs of headgasket failure and it seems fine. It starts and idles very well so compression and ignition hardware issues seem less likely to me. Cruises like a totally normal car as well.

I looked at the logs but I couldn't find anything obvious (AFRs, fuel pressure dropping), but you can see how the RPM signal is "notchy" - it stops accelerating, then goes a little, and so on. Could this indicate a crank signal dropout issue?

The spark values seem a little low to me - I did notice that the coolant temperatures are higher - it's a 180F thermostat and the temps read higher - this is likely due to the location of the return line from the turbo causing some extra heat, but I'm not sure if this might be adding some retard to the spark calculations. Could it be something on the MAF side of the load calculation?

The only code it is throwing consistently is for the knock sensor - I'm not sure if that needs to be fully turned off given that I cut the wires or if I need to bypass it with a resistor, or if it doesn't matter at this point since it's supposed to be fully off in the tune and tables zero'd.

All I can think to do is:
New plugs, compression test and maybe fuel pump replacement (fuel pressures look a little low but aren't dropping under load really). I'm fine doing any sort of maintenance schedule as I pretty much have the rest of the car completely rebuilt already.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I'm definitely considering a switch in Tuner as the car is useless to me as is. . .

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by Lurker27; 11-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,853, Level 100
Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Shoot me the log file

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,503, Level 65
Points: 9,503, Level: 65 Points: 9,503, Level: 65 Points: 9,503, Level: 65
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Look close at ignition, you have at least one cylinder totally dropping out at times there. The coils can go bad like popcorn on these, I've failed them in less than 30 days before. RPM readings add to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,853, Level 100
Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
VID shows a ignition failure , plugs ( change them ) Coil , Coil plug in , Wires

Log shows more

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 1,028, Level 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks guys! Ordered a new coil and plugs.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 1,028, Level 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Crank sensor was cracked/loose noted during install of new coil, ordered that too.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 1,028, Level 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Crank sensor and coil resolved issue, guys thank you so much

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in