Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-tuning-chat/)
-   -   Tune for throttle response? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-tuning-chat/726042-tune-throttle-response.html)

add lightness 01-28-2017 10:45 PM

Tune for throttle response?

Do any of the available tunes have any noticeable improvement in throttle response? I'm not hurting for more power in this car (but I wouldn't mind it!) since it's just my daily and I have sports cars, but the one thing that really kills the driving experience the most is the atrocious, slow throttle response and terrible rev hang. My car is running properly, but I'm used to my Miata which has fantastically quick response (throttle cable > computer). I know the focus will never be as good due to its ridiculously heavy flywheel, but there is a ton of room for improvement. Anybody know how much better the aftermarket tunes makes this?

edit: I've added the throttle body grounds already

felixthecat 01-29-2017 07:41 AM

Have you thought about a tune? Reflash the pcm......

1turbofocus 01-29-2017 06:49 PM

I can help you with your tuning and should be able to address the issues your having

Tom

zetecDon 01-29-2017 11:16 PM

Moved to "Focus Tuning Chat".

pasta 01-30-2017 10:48 PM

A tune will help.

PeteB 05-16-2017 08:23 AM

Did this ever go anywhere with a new tune for a stock engine?

Is a special device needed to do the flash?
Looking for a step by step, but have not found it so far.

1turbofocus 05-16-2017 09:32 PM

Yes you would need the xcal4 flasher

I sell the xcal4 , full custom tune , free life time tune updates as you add more NA mods , datalogging services , no hidden fees and shipping for 462.00

No other Focus Tuner offers anything close to this

When you receive your xcal4 you will email me some info , I will then make you a base tune file and email that to you will links and info to load it to your xcal then to your Focus , then we do some datalogging to fine tune your base tune to a custom tune

Tom

PeteB 05-21-2017 10:33 PM

$462 is roughly 10% of what we paid for the car, and for an engine that is not
modified and we don't plan to extensively modify it doesn't make sense for us.
I thought I saw $150, I think without the xcal4 so if there was a loaner, or a
group buy of one xcal4 unit to share that might make more sense.
I'd pay $150 for better throttle response and a bit more power.

Will the engine take advantage of premium fuel stock? That and a freer flowing
air filter would probably be the only improvements.

sailor 05-22-2017 01:43 AM

XCal can only tune one car at a time, stock tune is stored in it while a tune is in the car it's 'married' to at the time.

That's about right for the tuning charge alone if you have a flasher already, occasionally there are deals on used ones but you need to be sure it's got uses remaining and isn't left 'married' to be unusable. (expensive to get unlocked, only avail. for current types)

MkII doesn't have the stock compression for premium to be a notable improvement, unlike you may have seen mentioned for the MkIII.

PeteB 05-23-2017 08:36 AM

Thanks Sailor that is a serious limitation of that tool, but I understand what
you're saying.