Charging Issues at Idle/Questionable Cluster? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 176393
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT 4 dr,2006 Focus ZX4

Points 40, Level 1
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 CocoTaco Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Charging Issues at Idle/Questionable Cluster?

I have recently purchased a beautiful 2004 Focus SVT 4 Door for a steal of a price, naturally it has all the signs of neglect but seems to be in great condition excluding the few issues, my problem is, the battery is discharging (only at idle) and system voltage seems to bounce around 12.9-14.8 volts. I used a scan tool right before buying and saw low voltage codes in every module but was told they just replaced the battery. this was confirmed it is brand new however, upon getting it home (2 hour drive) I noticed the dash was a bit dim while stopping at lights and the HVAC fan would slow down a bit. it picked right back up as soon as you move and all is well, fast forward a few weeks and i pull of to a light and as usual dash dims but this time it comes with an ABS light the radio shuts off etc. Every thing that happens when the battery dies while driving. (as this being the 6th 2nd gen focus of the family I am way to familiar with the signs of a bad alternator) so i limp it home and shut it off and sure enough completely dead battery. Other than idle it charges perfectly so i dont want to condemn the alternator just yet but im unsure what to do and how to test. Now for the Cluster, I noticed very quickly after buying the car that sometimes (very inconsistent) as soon as you turn the key off 5-20 seconds later the FUEL and TEMP gauges very quickly sweep to exactly 50% usually i notice this is happening more as the battery starts to get low on charge (when doing a lot of city driving so because alternator dosnt charge at idle the battery very slowly discharges over time)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
Plug at the back of the alternator is bad.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I will give that a check thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,334, Level 64
Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Cracked diodes and what they all do. Then it checks as good part of the time and bad the rest and comes and goes. 12.9 volts is NOT charging, they need a minimum of 14.0 even or more to be up all the time. If you get a new alt be SURE to charge the battery up FULLY before starting car up or you will shell the new alt too. They are very delicate and running a low battery on them is the best way to shell alt there is. When loaded like that they crack a diode then the regulator burns up trying to replace the lost charge.

The plug like said too.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414067
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 MikeST Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTaco View Post
I have recently purchased a beautiful 2004 Focus SVT 4 Door for a steal of a price, naturally it has all the signs of neglect but seems to be in great condition excluding the few issues, my problem is, the battery is discharging (only at idle) and system voltage seems to bounce around 12.9-14.8 volts. I used a scan tool right before buying and saw low voltage codes in every module but was told they just replaced the battery. this was confirmed it is brand new however, upon getting it home (2 hour drive) I noticed the dash was a bit dim while stopping at lights and the HVAC fan would slow down a bit. it picked right back up as soon as you move and all is well, fast forward a few weeks and i pull of to a light and as usual dash dims but this time it comes with an ABS light the radio shuts off etc. Every thing that happens when the battery dies while driving. (as this being the 6th 2nd gen focus of the family I am way to familiar with the signs of a bad alternator) so i limp it home and shut it off and sure enough completely dead battery. Other than idle it charges perfectly so i dont want to condemn the alternator just yet but im unsure what to do and how to test. Now for the Cluster, I noticed very quickly after buying the car that sometimes (very inconsistent) as soon as you turn the key off 5-20 seconds later the FUEL and TEMP gauges very quickly sweep to exactly 50% usually i notice this is happening more as the battery starts to get low on charge (when doing a lot of city driving so because alternator dosnt charge at idle the battery very slowly discharges over time)

I had this very same issue. Mine ended up being the main pulley tensioner failed giving an inconsistent charge. All the symptoms were the same.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Sorry guys, haven't had time to check anything as a storm came through and took out power for a bit, hopefully will have time to check things soon as it died on the way home from construction. still haven't a clue whats going on with this cluster though, any ideas???
Old 07-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 310081
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SE Wagon

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 pace77 Good Standing Member
The cluster dims with the no/low charge state of the alternator. Fix the charging, either with an alternator, or a pigtail as pbfoot mentioned. Or possibly both. My daughters 01 wagon went thru the same thing. Alt tested great 3 different times, then failed the 4th. Replaced the pigtail and alt at the same time. All has been good for 2 years now.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
pig tail looks great! and even passed a wiggle check. the thing im refering to in the cluster is erratic gauges with key off. to put it into perspective, key on cluster works flawlessly, key off however the TEMP and FUEL gauges move to exactly 50% causing the cluster to recalibrate those two gauges the next power cycle, i will attach pictures to better explain.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
alright guys the pigtail is looking good and has passed my wiggle check, so im just going to replace the alt as even the scan data looks good for generator communication. for the cluster im going to have to provide pictures to explain better.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
put images on google drive to share, the pictures are named as to what my goal is for showing, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SZ...e02bIgw82at-Eo

please let me know of any link issues and i will try to resolve.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in