valve troubles - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amc49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 383585
What I Drive: red 94 lightning,blk 02 svt focus,

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 Twnltngs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
valve troubles

Bought an 02 svt focus with compression problems in cylinder one leaking from exhaust valve tore down, finally other projects came first. Took to a machine shop for valve job 8 exhaust springs and bought 8 new svt exhaust valves. Got told work was done and ready to go shop said the svt valves were to short and not what was in head said he had valves for it in shop. Installed it timed correctly and reassembled no start checked basic stuff fuel, spark then compression test none. Put air to cylinders wont hold any air used feeler gauge on exhaust 0 clearance removed cams still wont hold any air removed head exhaust valves look small probably regular zetec valves . So where should i begin do i need another valve job done with correct valves or can i just get new exhaust valves and install them .Done lots of repairs over the years but never replaced valves always had them done at a shop. Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,171, Level 64
Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
You, my friend, need to find another shop to fix your stuff.

They should have instantly picked up on the wrong valve issue with the valve job, it would not have been able to do it in the normal manner due to the wrong size of the valve heads. The head had to be set up with valve clearances after the valve job too like a 4 cylinder bike, you don't simply install valves and keepers and run it there AT ALL. The feeler gauge check was done about a year too late.

Complete and utter incompetence. If the head had seats cut to match the wrong valves then it may be junk now, you may well be out of tappet adjusting range now as now another wildly massive seat cut job is necessary to fix the first one.

If the head was simply precut and not set to each valve then it may be saveable but that shouldn't have been done either as incorrect method to do the work.

Where is the original new set of SVT exhausts bought that were claimed to be too 'short'?, you need them now. That little move right there should have been screaming something was wrong but the shop missed it completely.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 383585
What I Drive: red 94 lightning,blk 02 svt focus,

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 Twnltngs Good Standing Member
Dropped off the head at another machine shop should hear back in a couple days. Thought I would stay local and a few friends had their work done there so I gave it a try. Found out today that the father that owned the shop died son took it over and is running it into the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,171, Level 64
Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
A very common plight..............

I remember getting a cylinder block bored once for bike that upon completion looked like a holesaw was used to do the work, the guy defending the work then took one piston and before I could stop him whacked it in the hole to scar a brand new piston up, the hole was too tight and the hone job was non-existent.

How I got out of that 'nationally known' shop without being arrested I will never know. 'Top of the line' work and 'the best' I was told by a bunch of others. Just going to prove that many experts ARE idiots.

Our dirty little family garage at one time took away a bunch of work away from the Harry Schmidt Blue Max funny car shop in Dallas when we reworked some of their utter butchery back in the late '70s after they ruined a couple of offshore powerboats. Suddenly we were swamped with work over that, the owners were all prominent Dallas car dealership owners and once that first boat blasted the others while racing to Bermuda through the Triangle we were set. Fifty foot Cigarette boats with twin 454s. That was an interesting year. What started us working on pro stock cars.
mcoppola likes this.

Last edited by amc49; 04-11-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in