Passenger tire spinning when jacked up and car on - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114728
What I Drive: 02 Silver ZX3

Points 1,188, Level 18
Points: 1,188, Level: 18 Points: 1,188, Level: 18 Points: 1,188, Level: 18
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jj93egt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Passenger tire spinning when jacked up and car on

Is there any way to stop this??...between that incredibly hot and low exhaust manifold and cat and that tire spinning along with my general clumsiness I am concerned about working under the car with it running.

I'd like to keep things simple as to avoid getting injured.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,532, Level 100
Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
What are you working on that needs the motor on?
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,188, Level 18
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
What are you working on that needs the motor on?
Verifying fluid leakage that won't necessarily manifest itself with the car off. I am sure that there will be plenty of other similar situations where I need to run the car with me under it. Leaking exhaust location verification etc.

This is pretty annoying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,391, Level 65
Points: 9,391, Level: 65 Points: 9,391, Level: 65 Points: 9,391, Level: 65
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
In the first place one ALWAYS looks to minimize to virtually NOTHING the number of times one has to get under a running car. I've worked on 4 of them at a time for 40+ years and never had to do that except possibly once. Thinking one has to multiple times IS A MISTAKE.

If one wheel is touching down and you are in gear you CANNOT stop the tire in the air from spinning and trying to will jerk the car off of whatever has it jacked in the air. TAKE CAR OUT OF GEAR. The one tire spins at twice the rate of normal, that is, 30 mph is 60 mph. You can tear the trans up doing that.

Trying not to be insulting but it is what it is, only an idiot wants to get under a running car multiple times.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,188, Level 18
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
In the first place one ALWAYS looks to minimize to virtually NOTHING the number of times one has to get under a running car. I've worked on 4 of them at a time for 40+ years and never had to do that except possibly once. Thinking one has to multiple times IS A MISTAKE.

If one wheel is touching down and you are in gear you CANNOT stop the tire in the air from spinning and trying to will jerk the car off of whatever has it jacked in the air. TAKE CAR OUT OF GEAR. The one tire spins at twice the rate of normal, that is, 30 mph is 60 mph. You can tear the trans up doing that.

Trying not to be insulting but it is what it is, only an idiot wants to get under a running car multiple times.
I am a bit surprised that you'd post something like this given the history that you have had of helping me in the past.

Since I am an idiot, should I just quit my job, stop feeding my family, give up on life?

Your comment about not wanting to call me an idiot but calling me one anyways is really passive aggressive.

I live in a high rip off area and people are MASTERS at conning other people.

For example, I purchased another vehicle where someone put air fresheners in the vehicle to mask a problem. It was losing coolant but none was falling onto the ground. I ruled out a bad head gasket. After a few months of smelling coolant but never being able to find it, I decided to put it on jackstands and run it. The coolant was slowly sweating out of the back of the jb welded rear head. Had I not gotten under it with the vehicle running it is not reasonable to assume that I would have found it and/or it could have taken me years to find it. Even worse I could have wasted my time and money changing out parts that I did not need to. Sure I could have used a radiator pressure tester but I did not know about that until a few years later. Even then, people will tell you that it is the best thing since sliced bread and then disappear because they really didn't understand how to use it.

How about AWD/RWD vehicles when you have an unusual noise coming from the rear? Sure, I can have people follow me all over the yard as I make circles but that is not always practical.

I can think of other examples.

My point is, I am not doubting your experiences so I'd appreciate it if you don't doubt mine.

With that said, the vehicle is supported by jack stands. It is running and NOT in gear. The right front wheel is turning on it's own.

Perhaps something is wrong with the trans?

Last edited by jj93egt; 08-03-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,532, Level 100
Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I've always used racks to figured out what the problems are if you need the motor on & the car up off the ground....Now not having access to a rack anymore...I was changing oil over at a guys shop & had him jump in to fix out the noise I had= it turned out to be the carrier bearing on the passenger side axle that was rattling around. Real bummer about where you live...Possibly next time you possibly might look further out (search radius) for a vehicle. You'll find some open diff's turn a wheel when the other is touching the ground as thats the spider gears working.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,188, Level 18
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I've always used racks to figured out what the problems are if you need the motor on & the car up off the ground....Now not having access to a rack anymore...I was changing oil over at a guys shop & had him jump in to fix out the noise I had= it turned out to be the carrier bearing on the passenger side axle that was rattling around. Real bummer about where you live...Possibly next time you possibly might look further out (search radius) for a vehicle. You'll find some open diff's turn a wheel when the other is touching the ground as thats the spider gears working.
A rack would be super nice for situations like this. I read something about the cat reaching 80% of it's efficiency within 1 minute...seems pretty synonymous with a chance to get burnt within a minute to me. Today I started it up in neutral and BOTH tires were spinning. What fun! I was googling around and it seems that this is a natural occurrence on some vehicles (at least one tire spinning anyways).

Yeah it is tough living around here but this is where the jobs are. Apparently it is an awful place to buy cars though. I wait and wait and wait for a spread of vehicles that I like to come up. Unfortunately even that is not a remedy.

Even with a radius things end up being garbage or rusty.

With that said, I was able to watch the issue dynamically with GREAT care.

Thank you.

Last edited by jj93egt; 08-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 237122
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

Points 20, Level 1
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 azcactus Good Standing Member
The wheels on my 02 ZX5 also spin when on stands and engine running. If I grab the tire I can stop the rotation, so it's likely due to drag on the clutch pilot bearing. I would suggest to try and tie a rope from the wheel to the body on both sides. Try starting it up and testing before you climb under. I would also thing about double jack stands if you cant rig a set of ramps/blocks to set the wheels on.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,188, Level 18
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcactus View Post
The wheels on my 02 ZX5 also spin when on stands and engine running. If I grab the tire I can stop the rotation, so it's likely due to drag on the clutch pilot bearing. I would suggest to try and tie a rope from the wheel to the body on both sides. Try starting it up and testing before you climb under. I would also thing about double jack stands if you cant rig a set of ramps/blocks to set the wheels on.
Thank you and great ideas!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in