Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Focus SVT (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-svt/)
-   -   HELP!! Airbag Light WILL NOT go away! (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-svt/800634-help-airbag-light-will-not-go-away.html)

CarLover02 06-01-2018 02:46 PM

HELP!! Airbag Light WILL NOT go away!

Ok so here's the story,
My 2003 SVT had a dented driver's airbag, i'm guessing the previous owner punched the Ford emblem. So, with my OCD I bought another to replace it. It's from the same year and trim as my car, but after installing it the airbag light is on. It blinks once, pauses, then blinks 9 times. I also can no longer hear the relay for the horn (my horn currently doesn't work). I know the airbag is unflawed because it came out of an old SVT that was wrecked and the airbag never was set off. My old one that is dented doesn't throw the airbag light, but this one does and i'm not sure why. Can someone explain why it's doing this, and how to fix it? Thank you!

pasta 06-01-2018 11:29 PM

The one you replaced was from a wrecked car. That sounds Like the bag should have went off. You should get it scanned.

amc49 06-02-2018 12:52 AM

'I know the airbag is unflawed because it came out of an old SVT that was wrecked and the airbag never was set off.'

Don't know how your little mind got there, it should scream exactly the opposite.

The airbag itself can be transferred from steering cover to cover but it will be a real test of patience and skill. BTDT. You'll find out what I mean.......

felixthecat 06-02-2018 06:38 AM

Did you add a tad bit of dielectric grease to the connecter as well to the c/c connecter?

CarLover02 06-02-2018 02:27 PM

The new airbag never was set off. It looks identical to my old one except it's throwing a code. I've heard every airbag is specifically coded to a certain car, so the code on the new airbag not matching the car is throwing the code. I just don't know how to reset the code on either the airbag or the car.

CarLover02 06-02-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 11284658)
Did you add a tad bit of dielectric grease to the connecter as well to the c/c connecter?

No I didn't, where do I get that stuff and where do I put it?

amc49 06-02-2018 08:29 PM

'I've heard every airbag is specifically coded to a certain car, so the code on the new airbag not matching the car is throwing the code.'

No. Module yes, but the bags interchange all day long as long as you use correct year for year to avoid change issues. The module codes to the car because of the writing done to it at accident time. Module only checks the bags for proper resistance of the propellant/ignitor, proving they are in place, and nothing more.

'The new airbag never was set off.'

If the bag did not detonate it could simply be bad. No way you can tell that later except by crashing it again. Or........

Remove the bag from the electrical connector and insert a 2 ohm resistor in place of it at the connector to turn key on, if light goes out the bag is bad. DO NOT TRY PUTTING ANY POWER OF ANY SORT INTO THE BAG ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!

Could simply be a bad clockspring from all the fumbling around the area, I note the OP mentions not hearing the horn relay any more either at the same time, those two things spell bad clockspring.

As I said before, the steering cover can be removed from the bag itself to swap them.

CarLover02 04-02-2019 03:03 PM

Thank you all for your help. This was posted forever ago, but I was able to fix the connection and the airbag is fine. No lights and everything works as it should!