Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Focus SVT (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-svt/)
-   -   Right side low beam and Rear lamp not working (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-svt/776322-right-side-low-beam-rear-lamp-not-working.html)

silentracer 11-19-2017 11:00 PM

Right side low beam and Rear lamp not working

I have a 2004 5Dr SVT with EAP. The right side front lamps and rear taillight are not working. Right for and front and rear turn signal and brake light do work. I replace the right side headlamp fuse and it blows out within no time. Ideas?

pasta 11-19-2017 11:35 PM

Sounds Like a bad ground.

silentracer 11-20-2017 08:22 AM

Any thought as to where the ground would be that effects these lights?? Thank you

ArcticMynx 11-20-2017 08:37 AM

open the headlight and look at the connector the connectors are known to melt and sometimes when people install the lights it pushes the pin out and it dangles around sometimes shorting.

unplug the bulb on the headlight replace the fuse and try the headlight again and see if it blows if it does then there is a wiring issue somewhere a bad ground doesnt always cause the fuse to blow

as for both front and rear going thats actually a rare event as those circuits are separate but use totally different grounds

is the headlights/tails factory original or aftermarket and was any mods done to the car??

silentracer 11-20-2017 11:33 AM

It is EAP equiped 2004 with HID lamps, all stock. High beam does work and as mentioned turn signals front and back along with fog and brake lights work. No running, tail and low beam on the left side. When I replace the fuse it will blow after a minute or two of driving time. Honestly I just found out about the taillamp and replaced the bulb with no change. I haven`t noticed if it comes on with the fuse change.

ArcticMynx 11-20-2017 12:29 PM

ok HID's the headlights shouldn't affect the running light tails unless the HID controller is shorted and sending power back into the harness but it would affect both rears on running when its switched on you need to isolate that headlight (disconnect it fully) then replace the fuse and power it up and see if it blows again.. if that headlight is disconnected and it blows then there is an issue on the car side harness running across the bumper up over the trans and joining the engine harness..
IF it doesnt blow there likely an issue with the ballast of that headlight or there is a crushed/broken wire within that assembly

the tail light you need to remove the plastics around the hatch and the side carpet to expose the wiring pull the sockets out and grab a multi meter and see if you have power to the socket for running lights if not unplug the socket and probe the pins on the pigtail if you dont have power. look at the color of the wires and go back to the connector of the tail light harness and poke the meter probes into it as its plugged in and see if the corresponding wires have power there if you do then there is either a bad socket, bad pigtail or a broken wire from the body harness plug to the actual tail light pigtail if not then you have either another bad fuse or there is an issue with your GEM module... if it comes doen to your Gem that will take a bit more you can find that tucked away on top of your ECU behind your glove box with a barrage of yellow strapped plugs