P0171 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 354865
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

Points 61, Level 1
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Frosteh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P0171

I?m beyond stumped on this one. I?ve check quite a few things so I?m sure their is more I can check. But I?m having a hanging idle issue, cold starts are rough sometimes with a little bit longer crank, sputtering while driving, CEL for p0171, sometimes when I push clutch in, idle drops to 600. I?ve had this car and it?s ran perfect until this check engine light. Can anyone help me out and point me to where I should be starting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 208810
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT Zx3

Points 546, Level 10
Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 96Formula6spd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post
I?m beyond stumped on this one. I?ve check quite a few things so I?m sure their is more I can check. But I?m having a hanging idle issue, cold starts are rough sometimes with a little bit longer crank, sputtering while driving, CEL for p0171, sometimes when I push clutch in, idle drops to 600. I?ve had this car and it?s ran perfect until this check engine light. Can anyone help me out and point me to where I should be starting?
So welcome to the club. Currently down the same road with the same symptoms. Got three codes right now over your one. All mine are in the pending state. Been chasing a random missfire from the car since I got it. Sometimes its bad sometimes its good.

P0171 For Lean on Bank 1
P301 Missfire on Cylinder #1
P0455 Big Evap leak...its not the gas cap. Used to get the light. Changed the cap and code went away from the gas cap light to just a CEL

My symptoms are the hanging idle but usually with the A/C on. Off I can get the drops to 600 rpm.

- Smoke test threw pcv line. No results
- Sea Foam Test. Seen this if you have a leak sometimes it will smoke in the intake. Found this on a old pos honda of mine. Nothing
- New plugs. Sp-463 at .051 gap
- Wires are pretty new and arching well while the engine is running.
- MSD Coil. Came on the car and is pretty new. MSD failure rate is usually very very very low but I now have another coil to check with.
- New fuel filter. Old one was dirty. Car ran better.
- New PCV hoses. Both were bad. Old PCV was still good but dirty. New one went in.
- Checked vacuum hoses and found no cracks or leaks other than the pcv ones.

My next step is injectors. I am also debating just buying intake gaskets, throttle body gaskets, injector o-rings, and IAC gaskest.

Going out now to check them out
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 546, Level 10
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
So went out and checked my spare injectors. They were spraying in a nice clean pattern. I then was playing around in torque and found the Fuel Trim graph. Anyways it was reading a lot in the negative. So was reading -15-25% at idle. Caught me as a little off. So I Installed the other rail. This one was a used unit at some point. Had junkyard paint on it.

Started the car and it sounded way better. Let it warm up and even on the drive it was better. No misfire...yet. But the pending p0301 code went away. Going to have to put some more miles on it but right now it looks ok. Fuel trims on this sensor are at 0% at idle with drops in the negative but only to at worst -5%

Last edited by 96Formula6spd; 08-27-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 354865
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

Points 61, Level 1
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Frosteh Good Standing Member
I did have a pending intake temp and maf code but they went away. This is the one I cannot figure out.. I’ve checked everywhere (I believe) for a vacuum leak and couldn’t really find anything..I do have a roughish idle so it sometimes drops and raises here and there in its own
Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 546, Level 10
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Yeah good luck with it. After fixing my stuff I drove the car around and it seems to be fixed. Granted it usually shows up after a 200 mile trip somewhere. No shudders and no ruff running. If you have torque check the fuel trim and see what it is doing. Buddy has a mustang with a very similar sensor that can make things go crazy on his car. Seems Ford liked these sensors but over time they just fail.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in