Focus Fanatics Forum banner

tire noise

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Piano Man 
#1 ·
Hey all. My '02 tires are humming like runflats. Anything I should look at? I got new fronts 4 months ago. They look fine, but now humming like my MINI run flats. Annoying.
Good years.[dunno]

#4 ·
What kind of tires do you have?

Take them to the shop you got them at and have them all inspected and balanced and rotated and take your car to a shop for alignment. If they still have it then, you just bought some noisy tires...

#5 · (Edited)
I've seen a number of brand new tires be completely junk, but since it took a few months to appear then X2 to Heiss and Magus. How does the steering wheel sit when you are driving straight? I'd get an alignment first, I'd assume that because you just put new tires on the front then they are in better shape then the rear so I wouldn't rotate them unless you want to do side to side

Toe is the main killer of tires and the biggest noise maker, camber wouldn't cause more noise unless it was really off and you're to the metal in the tire, that would make a lot of noise

#9 ·
what did you replace and what are you comparing it to? My jeep has tire noise, but its a 33 x 12.5 MT tire. compared to a small road tire that thing it Loud, compared to other MT's its on the more quite side.

You have provided almost no detail to go off of.

Previous tire type and size? current tire size of the BFG Comp 2? How many miles on them? how loud? you can hear them with the windows down or you can hear them with the windows up and the music set to SPL dB Drag mode?

#10 ·
If alignment is good, I'd take it back to the place that put the tires on, they very possibly could be bad tires. We had a dually powerstroke that came back with a vibration twice, ended up tracing it down to one tire being a problem. It was under warranty, and the guy never had to pay a cent for bringing it back

#11 ·
I replaced with the same tires BF Goodrich G force comp 2, 215 45-17. about 10,000 miles on them and loud with windows up or down. I hear it with radio on not too loud. I'm a piano tuner, so I don't rock out any more. The noise is louder than the engine until I get over 3,000 rpm. The thing is they were not loud at all when I bought them. Just got an alignment yesterday and toe was only a little out. Getting rotation today. I'm pretty sure it's only on the front.

#12 ·
just got fronts? rotation to push them to the back will help let you know if they are the problem. 4 months ant 10k miles, wow. they are only warranty for 45k miles so you are almost 1/4 of the life on the tire (per the warranty).

Thermal cycles on the tire can push the rubber to get hard and make more noise, less tread gives less movement for the contract patch to "squish" around.

when you do the rotation have them inspect the tire and get depth readings at various parts of the tread around the diameter. I would pick up a simple depth gauge and you can doo it also your self every few months. it will tell you how even the tires are warring.

#17 ·
Problem with wheel bearings is that they require full disassembly of the knuckle, and the use of a press to get them in and out.

It's going to be a 3-4 hour effort to get done at a shop + parts.

You can usualy have a place do the pressing for about $40 a pair (that included removal and install) but requires you to get your parts to them and for obvious reasons you cant drive the focus so need at least a friend or another vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.