Sell or Part Out? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 335713
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 103, Level 2
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 EsVeeTea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sell or Part Out?

I am having a tough time figuring out what to do, if this is against the rules for some reason please delete it.

A year ago I bought an 02 Sonic Blue SVT. 2dr, low milage, excellent history. Literally a month or two after I bought the car we found out second baby was on his way. Well, little man is here now, and putting the two boys in car seats in the back of the 2dr is quite the task.

I have it for sale locally, but need it gone. Have been on the forum for a few months but just haven't posted much thinking I would finally be able to brag once I knew more about these cars and could put some money into mine. Lots of new parts, and great daily driver, but heres my question.

Looking around I have found I can get 500-750 for bumpers and skirts, 500-1000 for my 5 and 15 spoke wheels (SVT), 2-3k for trans, engine, clutch. Puts me around 3k-4500 and would still have a shell minus bumpers. The car is listed at 45 with 115k and had belt pumps etc done around 95k.

As much as I would like to see it leave in one piece, I am wondering if there are some members on here that would be interested in the parts if I went that route? Ive seen a couple posts about motors and bumpers, and plan to start pmng all you focus lovers with wtb threads to see if you all may be interested in anything.

Gotta get this thing gone so I can get the wife and kids into a four door and found "the one" so sooner the better at this point.

Again I am sorry if this is not allowed, just trying to get some insight from anyone who may have been in my situation before. Thanks for reading everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
parting out takes lots of time and space.

with 2 young boys, i would think you dont have much time anymore.

Sell it whole. 4.5k might be high. I sold mine for 3.5k similar mileage, needed a bumper respray.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT
Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
8 DAY HOMECOMING

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 Identity Crisis

Points 66,084, Level 100
Points: 66,084, Level: 100 Points: 66,084, Level: 100 Points: 66,084, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 30 SPIinDisguise Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
If it runs great, don't part it. You won't get $4500 in parts, I guarantee you that.

Maybe about $2500 if that. People will only pay what they want for it all. And they are getting harder to part out, you'll sit on it for 6 months, and still not have it all gone. Popular stuff goes first, as always, the rest sits till someone local needs it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using FF Mobile
Sedan Revolution #289
FOCUS XTREME

Quote:
We don't charge by the word, tell us more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53615
What I Drive: 04 focus zx3, premium, liquid grey

Points 2,179, Level 28
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 14 a car nut Great Standing Member
SPI is right; recently a SVT sold in my area running with the usual front bumper damage and expired registration for $900. With something like this given the age and demand for parts, its best to sell it as whole unit and be done with it. I've done the part out game and while it can be profitable, it takes time and space. With two children to watch over and care for, do you really have either the time or space? Just my two cents...
Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Part out is still only practical for a totaled car, and even then you're best off selling the whole thing to someone who wants major parts off it - let them part the remnants.

For one that's supposedly in decent condition, you throw away a lot of the value as soon as the first part is removed/sold.

Even if you had one with a dinged up body and you wanted to part it - the most $ would come from waiting for the right person who needs major parts to come along and inspect it while running. Could be a MUCH longer wait than selling the whole car as a driver.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 335713
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 103, Level 2
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 EsVeeTea Good Standing Member
Good to know guys, thank you! If I wasn't in such a tight spot financially I'd get the family car and keep this one to build, but not allowed another car in the driveway per city ordinance so would have to store it :( As much as I love it, I won't give it away but I'm lowering price a little otherwise will probably just have to keep racking up miles until the right buyer comes along. Didn't really want to part it, just didn't know if maybe that would be easier if someone(s) happened to be in the market at the moment. Seemed like kind of a stupid question when it's only through half it's life or so but I guess you never know..

Thanks again!

Last edited by EsVeeTea; 04-19-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in