Anatomy of a Mach headlight assembly - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkirkerx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 317489
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium Edition

Points 1,167, Level 18
Points: 1,167, Level: 18 Points: 1,167, Level: 18 Points: 1,167, Level: 18
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jkirkerx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anatomy of a Mach headlight assembly

I purchased a set of new mach headlight shells from EBay, the ones I was told not to buy.

Anyways, I'll get them in a week in which I can probably figure out some of my questions.
I'm asking because I have no electronics for them and I have some spare time today to shop around for them.

But I was wondering about the Ballast, Igniter and bulb.
Without ever actually seeing one in person or taking one apart; would my assumption be correct here?

1. The Ballast mounts on the bottom, and a recessed hole exist for the ballast to seat in, along with another oval hole for the wiring harness to enter the headlight.

2. The wiring harness from the ballast goes to the igniter module

3. The igniter module attaches to the HID bulb, which inserts into the projector lens

The German stuff is pretty expensive such as Hella 05-290 system. I was looking at the Japanese stuff such as Denso for Lexus / Toyota for like half the price.

Plans:
Going to take them apart and paint the insides black, and add some jazz to them. Figure it will take a month to complete the project. I have a lot of wiring to do here for fit on a ZX5

Note:
Why did I purchase these instead of getting used ones?
I really couldn't get a good deal on a set of used ones, most pairs were $300 and nobody wanted to haggle on the price or drop the price on them, and I really could not find a pair that was not cracked. Plus it was almost impossible to find out how many hours were in the ballast or electronics. Plastics out gas over the years and the UV from the Sun just destroys everything, even solar seem panels have a 10 year life on the roof, and their black colored. So I bought new ones. If they seem really bad I'll just return them and go another route. I figured on the electronics, I can shop around for a good deal or use an upgrade kit.

limeyrider likes this.
I restored my ZX5 to new like reliability and currently enjoying it a 2nd time around. I was going to buy a ST or RS but there are so many better cars on the market now for the price. Looking at getting a Japanese car next, never had one.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23364
What I Drive: 2005/black/zx3

Points 267, Level 5
Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 castone Good Standing Member
Your best bet would probably be to grab a pair of d2s bulbs for the low beams then grab a pair of d2s adapter cables and run any aftermarket hid kit.

Search ebay for 2X-D2-D2S-D2R-D2C-HID-Xenon-Bulb-Adapters-Wire-Harness-Connector-Cable-Socket they're cheap to buy.

If you want to go with the oem stuff so it connects to the headlights properly go to the scrap yard and look for Chrysler Pacifica with HID's and grab the ballast and ignitors.
03-07 Saab 93's also have the same ballast and ignitors
Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,167, Level 18
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I seem to have gone beyond that great idea now, by running into the AliExpress website which sells things from China and Taiwan.

I was bowling last night, and walked the parking lot and looked at headlights for an hour; only to find the typical HID high beam and Halogen low beam combination which is the same as the Mach head lights from 2003. Even new Kia's, Mazda's, etc still use that combo except BMW which mostly had dual Bi Xenon.

On the AliExpress website, I found lots of Bi Xenon projectors in various sizes, along with 2016 style ballast with builtin igniters.

I'm thinking now of perhaps purchasing a set of new Bi Xenon projectors for the Mach high beams and another set of single Xenons for the low beams. I think the tubes in the Mach headlights are standard sizes, and that a new projector system can be inserted into the tubes and set with screws or glue. I did a little math on this and it looks like this can be done for the same prices as buying the original parts.

Here's one AliExpress store that sells components. This store has all kinds of neat stuff that I didn't know I had access to.
https://autokiledlight.aliexpress.co...0008.36.ozZaUH

I suspect that the old concept of using a halogen for low beams because of start up time is a thing of the past and that the latest generation of HID starts really fast now, eliminating the need to rely on old school halogens with fixed color temps. Having a dual Bi Xenon system if possible would add redundancy in case 1 set failed.
I restored my ZX5 to new like reliability and currently enjoying it a 2nd time around. I was going to buy a ST or RS but there are so many better cars on the market now for the price. Looking at getting a Japanese car next, never had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,167, Level 18
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I got my Depo Mach headlights last Friday Afternoon, and took them out of the box to check them out Friday night. Now I know why I was warned not to purchase them and why they are inferior to the originals, even though I have never seen either of them.

Basically, they look sweet. But when you get into the details, many flaws existed during manufacturing and assembly. One flaw is that the plastic never made it through the entire mold or was not topped off to create the final detail for one of the clamps that hold the back cover on. And then the knob that adjust the main Bi Xenon assembly stuck to the frame causing it to break off during assembly. The back housing plastic is not the same automotive grade plastic that Ford uses for parts that have to be durable. The resistor pack for the blower fan is far superior compared to the Depo level of quality and is made of that durable plastic that can resist heat and cold.

I can see replacement parts such as this would be nice to have if the quality matched that of the US market or simply met our expectations, otherwise what is the point of making them? I know in China this level of design and assembly is the norm, and perhaps the majority of the world.

I have many photos, I'll edit this post later today.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 229442
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black, red interior zx3

Points 527, Level 10
Points: 527, Level: 10 Points: 527, Level: 10 Points: 527, Level: 10
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 flyingsvt Good Standing Member
If you don't like the Chinese quality of the housings. Maybe try to save the project by not buying even worse Chinese quality guts from alibaba, to put in the housings. I bought some ecig stuff from that place and can only imagine the shit they will sell you for your car. I read a thread about Spyder/ anzo/ eBay headlights where the outer clear lens the light shines through had a defect that messed with light out put and cut off. It wasn't really hazy but looked as though the clear plastic wasn't injected in the mold correctly and could see swirl marks in the plastic. Look to see if there is something similar with your depos. If there is, any projector chinese or OEM won't matter. You'll never get awesome light out of them. If they looks clear why not stick something decent in there. Other wise you'd be better off buying eBay lights that already come with Chinese crap inside already.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 527, Level 10
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Just my .02 cents
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 527, Level 10
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I reread this as it came up in some of my searching around... And I apologise for coming off as an ass. I don't know what was going on in my head at the time.
Anyways how is the process coming along? Do the depo housings use the same projector bowl ? I had a difficult time getting the after market stuff attached to the back of the bowl.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in