'02 SVT Focus - very loud road noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dross93ranger
  • 1 Post By Thingy2098

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102709
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

Points 27, Level 1
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Thingy2098 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'02 SVT Focus - very loud road noise

Hi everyone,

After owning a ZX5 and a ZTW, I've finally made the jump and bought a 2002 SVT Focus.

It has a very loud noise that seems to increase proportionally with road speed.

The previous owner suspects a CV joint or motor mounts, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the two. The noise reminds me of when my timing belt side mount went on my '03 Wagon, but it's very VERY loud, and the mount seems like it's still in good shape - with the cap popped off it's firm and doesn't seem obviously broken, although there does seem to be more noise/vibration at idle than there should be, and on occasion on startup or shutdown I can hear a metal on metal rattle that sounds like it might be a bad engine mount.

The previous owner had owned it since new, and it doesn't look like the mounts or either CV shaft have been replaced - the halfshafts are clearly marked "GKN" on the boot and shaft itself (GKN was Ford's OEM I believe) and none of the boots have any tears.

There's no play to speak of in either of the front wheels (in/out, side to side, or up and down) and they rotate very smoothly which makes a bad wheel bearing unlikely in my mind. The OEM SVT wheels did have a couple of small bends in the lips so I swapped them out with some known good 16" wheels/tires from my wagon which quieted the noise down a little bit, but it's still very loud.

The support bearing for the longer shaft seems to turn smoothly and after a drive it doesn't seem abnormally warm. I've had support bearings go on other cars and they very obviously had a lot of play to them.
I checked the fluid in the trans (clutch was done 25,000km ago) and it's still nice and clean looking and was full right to the fill hole. Neither axle seal is leaking, so I don't suspect a noisy differential.

Swerving left or right at speed makes the noise change in tone somewhat, but nothing makes it go away, and accelerating/decelerating doesn't seem to make much if any of a difference. It's very much road speed related, and engine RPM or gear doesn't change it.

The only thing I can see is that the inner CV joint on the longer shaft does have a little bit of play (see youtube video below) - I'm not sure if that's normal on the OEM shaft, or if that play would be enough to cause the noise. A few other known good CV shafts I had in my garage for other cars had zero rotational play. The movement and clicking you hear is coming from the joint - I'm holding one side of the shaft steady while turning the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2hJOETpgQ

Any ideas before I just start buying a ton of parts and throwing it at the problem?
YouTube clip of the road noise in action. I get up to about 80km/hr in the vid, and the noise increases fairly linearly with the road speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1eMcLv_94Y

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Taciturn. Your turn.

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

Points 3,281, Level 35
Points: 3,281, Level: 35 Points: 3,281, Level: 35 Points: 3,281, Level: 35
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 31 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Undo the clamp on the support bearing and you might get a better feel for it. I don't think it's supposed to have any play in it. It very well could be shot even if it isn't the source of your noise.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Tough one, couldn't hear well in the video.

You mentioned tire change there, was it a wheel & tire swap from another car?

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
I swapped the stock SVT wheels/tires with a known good set of 16" wheels/tires that were dead quiet on my Wagon just to eliminate tire noise as a variable. It definitely isn't tire noise or an out of balance wheel/tire.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63537
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, 16 FiST, 2005 2.3L ST

Points 2,658, Level 31
Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 dross93ranger Good Standing Member
Wheel bearings?
A Focused Family likes this.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Multi-Focusing

Fan#: 126762
What I Drive: 2004 Comp-O SVT and a 2016 NB RS2

Points 50,821, Level 100
Points: 50,821, Level: 100 Points: 50,821, Level: 100 Points: 50,821, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 10 A Focused Family Great Standing Member
Sounds like wheel bearings to me too. Good place to start at least. Ordered new ones today.

Same exact sound I have on my SVT at the moment.

2004 CO SVT #106 (1 of 51)
Plus 5 other MK1's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
We'll see how it shakes out once all the parts come. As I mentioned in my first post, I've jacked the car up and checked all 4 wheels and there's zero play that can be felt in any of the bearings and they all rotate very smoothly.

I just got back from a jaunt on the highway and coasted into my driveway and quickly took out my IR temperature gun and popped the center caps off the wheels to check the temperature at the axle nut, which is usually a pretty good way of diagnosing a bad bearing (generally the bad one will be significantly hotter from all the friction)

They were all nice and cold, so I'm not thinking that's the issue (although I do have a complete set of 4 wheel bearings in a box that I'd ordered for my Wagon previously thinking it had bad wheel bearings when it ended up being an engine mount)

I quickly jacked the car up and felt all of the CV joints (inner and outer) and none of them felt hotter than they should either - the short axle was cold on both inner and outer, and the long axle with the support bearing was warm, but not warmer than it really should be given the proximity to the cat/exhaust.

Hopefully my new mounts arrive by the weekend - that'll be the first place I start and we'll see how it goes after that. If that doesn't fix it, then both axles will come out and I'll do a closer inspection of the wheel bearings.
I'll keep posting as troubleshooting happens; at the very least it might help others diagnose similar noises in the future. :)

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Multi-Focusing

Fan#: 126762
What I Drive: 2004 Comp-O SVT and a 2016 NB RS2

Points 50,821, Level 100
Points: 50,821, Level: 100 Points: 50,821, Level: 100 Points: 50,821, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 10 A Focused Family Great Standing Member
I'm taking the easier and cheaper way first and replacing the wheel bearings.
2004 CO SVT #106 (1 of 51)
Plus 5 other MK1's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks to everyone who helped! Turns out there were two issues.

I checked the motor mounts first as those were the easiest to deal with. The timing belt side one had failed and lost all its fluid, as is expected with the vehicle's high mileage. Replacing that one got me halfway there and cured the rhythmic hammering/pounding noise at speed along with the vibrations at idle.

I removed the upper trans mount, but the OEM Ford one was still perfect so didn't replace it with the aftermarket one I had on hand.

After the new mount, there was still a reasonably loud humming noise which was very clearly a bad wheel bearing. Swapped the front left wheel bearing now and all is well and the Focus is quiet as can be again.

I'll leave the video up - hopefully it helps future people diagnose similar issues.
A Focused Family likes this.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 244137
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVTF

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Sebem777 Newbie
I had the same problem ended up replacing my entire hub assembly on both sides of the front to make it stop

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in