SVTF-Winter Tire reviews - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #81

Fan#: 5810
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT 5dr, 99 R6

FF Reputation: 1 sveet03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by ..:: sleestak ::..
What I wanna know is what about the sidewall? What gain do you get by dropping to a 16" rim and more sidewall?
for the most part, you will gain more protection from your wheels, and find more tires available in the size you need that have better traction than most of the 17s. dont get me wrong, there are some good 17s out there, but there are many more options for cheaper prices available in 16s. plus, 16" focus wheels arent that expensive, and even if you were going to go with a top of theline tire, youd still only be spending around $90/tire or so
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #82
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26318
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 stellarsvt Good Standing Member
I tried putting 16's on but the inside of the rim scraped my calipers on the front so I had to use my 17's for the winter. I put on a set of hancook's and they worked awsome but they were about 200 a tire (cnd) I plan on getting some summer rims and leaving my stock ones for winter rims though.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25626
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Clegg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just took delivery of a set of one season used Euro 17's mounted wiht Dunlop Graspics DS-2's for winter.

Cummon winter throw your best at me! ;)

(edit: I agree that 16's would be better, and 16' steels the best for winter, but I got the entire package of wheels and tires for under $500.00 and the rims are mint. So come summer I can put summer rubber on them and turn my other rims into AutoX/winter rims and keep the Euro's for summer use. )
2008 Blue VDub R32 #3858 of 5000

Traded in: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #2992 of 4788 Born on June 20th 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25626
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Clegg Good Standing Member
Also I just bought a winter car, so the SVT wont even get much snow time this winter, except for when I go up to the Lake Supperior Pro Rally in the UP... normally there snow there :)
2008 Blue VDub R32 #3858 of 5000

Traded in: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #2992 of 4788 Born on June 20th 2002
Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #85
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5755
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT SVT Squad#

FF Reputation: 1 jboylan Good Standing Member
Last December I bought a set of Yokohama AVID H4S tires for my SVT from tirerack. My uncle had the same size tire setup on his Infiniti and I was really impressed. They do awesome in the snow and ice. They don't have as much grip as the stock Continentals, but unless you drive like a total maniac its not easy to tell. They make some weird noises when you are making turns at low speed. At first I thought my power steering was going out, but it was just the tires. They are really good out on the highway and awesome in the rain. I've just been really impressed by them, usually all season tires are kind of a let down, but I can't say enough good things about these tires.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7200
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Euro AP

FF Reputation: 1 onebluemcm Good Standing Member
I ran a set of SVT Coutour 16" rims wrapped in Yokahama K2 F721 treads. Size was 205/55 R16. These are identical to the current Yok IceGuard IC721 tire. They worked great. Wore down pretty quick - they were used one winter before I got the set and I drove them all last winter, will probably only get through half this winter with them. The did wear kind of funny - they wore much more in the middle of the tread than at the sides. I ran a pressure of around 30psi - other than that (if pressure was the problem at all), I have no idea why they wore down that way. The only other thing I would add is the 205/55 size is too big. I got rubbing when ever I was at speed and there was a dip in the road - you know, when the car sort of squats down on the suspension, those kind of dips. Well, the fronts rubbed on the inner fenders some when I would hit a dip.

The wheels are the beautiful thing though. The size is perfect around the big front SVTf brakes. They are the 5-spokers and not the rounded looking ones - the spokes have an almost rectangular cross-section. I think they are off a 2000 SVT Contour. I am looking for new treads - maybe an all season - in a 205/50 size. It is amazing how much you can feel the side wall flex going to the 16" rim - it is easily noticable as play, or almost slop, in the way the steering feels. Thing is, for me, most of the time the roads are crap and really rough in winter and so the 16" rim and tire helped soften the road and more importantly, probably absorbs alot of impact and jolts that would otherwise just tear up the suspension. If you can get SVT Contour rims, you can be assured they will fit and look great on a SVTf.

-K
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: 2017 Focus RS

Points 1,421, Level 21
Points: 1,421, Level: 21 Points: 1,421, Level: 21 Points: 1,421, Level: 21
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
Just put the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S on last week. Thought it lost a little bit of "edge" in handling, but ultimately doesn't seem to have lost hardly any grip on the on-ramps etc. Still gotta wait and see about snow traction.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 25770
What I Drive: 2003 Black FSVT; 03 G35 6-speed coupe

FF Reputation: 1 maxdriver Good Standing Member
I ordered a 16 inch snow tire and wheel package from Tire Rack. They are Sport Edition wheels with Dunlop Sport M3 (205/55-16) tires. I haven't put them on yet. Some may know that Tire Rack recommends a 50 series tire, but I went with the 55 series, which is what Ford recommends.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #89
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,528, Level 22
Points: 1,528, Level: 22 Points: 1,528, Level: 22 Points: 1,528, Level: 22
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 svtfiend Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
***UPDATE ON PIRELLI PZERO NERO M+S***
Well, last week.... i think it was last week.... damn my infernal brain. anyways, a little while ago, it snowed for the first time this winter. this is the first time i got to drive in anything other than rain with my pirellis. in the rain they are awesome, and the couple of days i spent in the snow (mostly slush by the 2nd and 3rd days) they did even better than i expected. i was very happy with my purchase, and know i won't be having any problems if i can't find a winter car anytime soon. very good tires.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #90
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
I'm running studded Hankook W404's (225/45/R17) for the 2nd winter in a row. Strictly looking at traction I'm impressed. With big lugs and studs it's a loud tire, and it tracks road grooves a bit. Worth considering if money is an issue, and you deal with alot of snow.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in