My "Life Goals" Audio System! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades

Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2013-Current ST Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 300138
What I Drive: 2016 Focus ST, Kona Blue

Points 51, Level 1
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 ASEMechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking My "Life Goals" Audio System!

Hey all...

Haven't had a chance to be on here much since I got my Focus, mostly because I'm just busy as heck with a few other projects...

Anyway, back in the day I was very heavy into car audio systems, including some IASCA competition builds. My personal vehicle (1988 Honda Civic Hatch) was, for me, the epitome of all that a car audio system should be. It was clear, clean, and LOUD! I have no question that my tinnitus was a direct result of listening to this car without the proper hearing protection at volume levels that would probably decalcify your spine. But it is a small regret for the enjoyment I received from riding around in this vehicle with the stereo cranked.

While this system was what I would have considered expensive, at least at that time, it was exceedingly simple and low cost by today's standards of audio systems. What was state-of-the-art back in the early '90s pales in comparison to today's components as far as clarity, durability, flexibility, and power. Things have progressed and so must I.

Now, over 20 years later, I finally have the means and the platform to build what I would consider to be one of my life goal car audio systems. This is something that I've spent the last year researching as far as components, as well as builders, and I'm happy to share with all of you my excitement with not only the final product, but the build process as well. So follow along with me as we go through this project.

To start off with, the system will be installed into my 2016 Focus ST. I bought this in April of 2016 and it is, without question, the favorite of all the cars I've owned over the last 35 years. It's fast, it's comfortable, and it's fun! I may feel a little differently when I get my '67 Fairlane finished, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. LOL

Finding a shop that I could feel comfortable with handing my car over to was tricky, but a few well placed phone calls turned me on to a reasonably local shop in Georgia - Real Time Audio. After giving them a call and liking what I heard over the phone, I went in for a consultation to discuss my goals, my musical tastes, my timeline, and especially my budget. I also was invited to peruse their build portfolio of builds, which I found to be very impressive as far as build quality, style, and aesthetics.

Now, I had already decided that I would be going with Mosconi for the bulk of the components. Their performance and sound quality are nearly unmatched, especially when you consider pricing. What I was not sure on were the speakers or subs. After speaking with Nelson and Ben at length about what I was wanting to accomplish, we finally settled on the following:

Amplifiers:
(2) - Mosconi AS 100.4 Class A/B Amplifier, 4 x 100 w into 4 ohm
(1) - Digital Designs M1D Class D Amplifier, 1 x 1700 w into 1 ohm

Speakers:
(1) - Focal ES 165 KX3 (Set)
(1) - Focal PC 165 F (Set)
(2) - Digital Designs 3010 subs, 800 w dual voice coil

Crossover/DSP:
(1) Mosconi DSP 8to12 Aerospace, 8 input / 12 output, 192 KHz - 24 Bit

This is the backbone of the system. Not listed are support components like an upgraded charging system (250-300 Amp alternator), heavy duty power leads, custom A-pillar pods for mids / tweeters, and a fully custom sub cab / amp mounting arrangement, which will be installed into the spare tire well, leaving me with usable hatch space. There is also a custom mount for the DSP controller which will take up the pocket below the A/C controls. We're keeping the factory SYNC unit as I rather like it, especially with the voice integration and navigation.

I dropped the car off last Wednesday (10/25/2017) and was told that it should be ready in about 10 days. I have a few other little custom things to add along the way, but overall this is pretty complete. I'll be going by today or tomorrow to get some pictures of the progress and will post them up as I get them. The hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I stop and thing about how this is going to sound. Only a few more days and then I'll get to find out first hand!

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you all follow along.

Take care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
3rd Time's the Charm

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White ST3

Points 9,008, Level 63
Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 6 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What are they using for integration to SYNC?

I hope they're going with a factory amp replacement unit like the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 and not line converters or an after amp processor like the AudioControl units.

Times have changed, and the DSR1 is the future! :)
- Jody -
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 2013 ST3

Points 13,148, Level 74
Points: 13,148, Level: 74 Points: 13,148, Level: 74 Points: 13,148, Level: 74
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 42 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic View Post
custom A-pillar pods for mids / tweeters
Is there any part of the A-pillar that contains anything airbag related? I thought i remember reading or seeing something about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Trump 2016

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Points 32,761, Level 100
Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
Sounds Like a great project.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 300138
What I Drive: 2016 Focus ST, Kona Blue

Points 51, Level 1
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 ASEMechanic Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Is there any part of the A-pillar that contains anything airbag related? I thought i remember reading or seeing something about that
From everything I could find, the airbag only extends into the top 1-2 inches of the A-Pillar, which leaves the lower portion available without interference. Since the A-Pillar folds up towards the windshield during an airbag deployment, anything attached to the lower portion of it would be deflected towards the windshield, although it is highly improbable that anything mounted on the bottom 2 inches of the A-Pillar would move anyway.

At the end of the day, it's probably the least of my concerns should I be involved in an accident.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Trump 2016

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Points 32,761, Level 100
Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
Agree ^^^^^^^
Old 07-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414321
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 BellringerUPS Good Standing Member
So how did things turn out?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in