Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Digital speed readout in info screen between gauges

14K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Elizabeth 
#1 ·
So I wanted this in my 2012 SE.. and now in the St even more.
The basic problem is the small gradations in the analog speedo.. In the ST it is even worse.
Like a 5mph jump is about 2mm..
Anyway, IMO it would seem the adding of another screen into the info screen would be super easy.
Have a large mph with a tenths of mph perhaps in a half size font.

to really make it fun have the background change color accordingto the speed.
Blue for all speeds up to say 55mph. then yellow for 56 to 75
Then red after 76 And when you hit 90 or more it starts flashing red..

(I swear I would run up to 100 just to watch it flash red LOL.

Anyway The basic idea of a digital speedo one could use IF one wanted..
I mean in areas with heavy police speed control, knowingthe exact speed one is going..
Like around here 9 over is no problem. 11 over is a ticket most of the time.
10 is a maybe...

See less See more
#2 ·
If you just want a digital read out you can pick up a gps speedometer. They make small ones that you can mount just about anywhere on the dash. Not too sure about adding in another screen to the info screen

#3 ·
I did not know about those..
I checked Amazon.. Hmmm maybe...

Earlier I called Ford customer service. after three people all telling me they are not the person to talk to.. I guess Ford has no one they actually want to hear from, about anything.
The Social Ford site.. Is really messed up, I tried four ways to post a comment and none worked. Though I found a few other folks basically saying the same thing I want, but for other Ford cars.

The basic comment from Ford, "You can have it in any color as long as it is black" still holds some truth. Ford's way or the highway..
Asking them to change something? hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah ha hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah ha hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah hah ha hah ha hah hah hah ha hah ha hah ha hah hah ...

#4 ·
I would like a heads up display on the windshield. No looking away from the road to check speed. It could work in conjunction with the navigation which shows posted speed limits.

#6 ·
You should buy a Bimmer then [giggle]

Not sure which models have that stuff but the 5s and 6s do. It's kinda neat and you can see the info really well, no matter if it's day or night. The only downside is that the windshield cost $1500 so if it gets dinged after the warranty wears off, you're screwed.

As far as dash goes, you might be able to accomplish that with something like this: http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

Don't think the color of the background changes but 6 LED are programmable

#8 ·
The Escapes received a digital speedo as part of a software update a little while back. I've been wondering since if something could be added to the Foci. I was able to add the fifth screen (showing DTE, Trip, Time, Economy all in one) to mine once it was added to the new cars.

#18 ·
It really is a no-brainer that this car should have a digital speedometer. My 2011 Cruze had the option of a digital mph screen even with the analog gauge. Simply easier to read at a glance. There is no way in hell Ford would offer a free software update to make this happen. And charging customers who want it is bad form--so they do nothing.

#20 ·
Another Tsb update? My dealer charged me 100 bucks for the last one. Wonder if it will work on a 13?

#22 ·
Curious to know as well. I'll mention it at my next oil change but my dealership really didn't want to do the last update for it that gave it the fourth all in one screen and the engine on warning. It was like pulling teeth getting them to do it and I paid for it.

#23 ·
There is a TEST mode that allows you to see the digital speed and digital tach in the center panel (as well as a slew of other readouts), but this is something that you have to enter at ignition time and will reset the next time that you shut off your engine.

If you are interested:
- With the car off, press and hold the OK button
- While holding the button, turn on the vihicle and continue holding the button (up to you to start the ignition here or later)
- When you see the word TEST show up in the center readout, you can scroll up/down to get to various readouts, including speed

The info is surely there, just a matter of hacking the brains to have it show up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.