The ST 'shutters' cover the entire radiator and intercooler - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 22,723, Level 93
Points: 22,723, Level: 93 Points: 22,723, Level: 93 Points: 22,723, Level: 93
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 26 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The ST 'shutters' cover the entire radiator and intercooler

Watching a utube video of a replacing the intercooler and the stock set of 'shutters' (for aero mpg performance) cover the entire front from the top of the radiator down across the turbo intercooler.

I wonder how sophisticated the shutter programming is?
Do the radiator and intercooler shutters operate independently? (seemss like one motor for both top and bottom from the video I posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYYEUUNisQ
at 5 minutes they remove the shutters
Interesting the shutter had a wide 'closed' area between the top ones, and the bottom ones. even though the radiator extends the full height of the space.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 176161
What I Drive: 2014 SE Hatch, Race Red

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 G.O.Joe Newbie
The closed area is probably for the impact beam, no point in putting a shutter where you've got a wide solid piece of steel in the way.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 13,111, Level 74
Points: 13,111, Level: 74 Points: 13,111, Level: 74 Points: 13,111, Level: 74
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 41 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Watching a utube video of a replacing the intercooler and the stock set of 'shutters' (for aero mpg performance) cover the entire front from the top of the radiator down across the turbo intercooler.

I wonder how sophisticated the shutter programming is?
Do the radiator and intercooler shutters operate independently? (seemss like one motor for both top and bottom from the video I posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYYEUUNisQ
at 5 minutes they remove the shutters
Interesting the shutter had a wide 'closed' area between the top ones, and the bottom ones. even though the radiator extends the full height of the space.
The center portion is over the crash bar anyway, so no airflow would get to the radiator there.

Quote:
Active Grille Shutter

The grille shutter actuator positions the grille shutters based on commands from the PCM . The grille shutter moves 90 degrees from fully closed to fully open and, based on the position commanded by the PCM , is set in 1 of 16 positions (approximately 6 degrees between positions).

During normal operation, the grille shutter may be partially to fully open when the engine is off, depending on the ambient temperature. When the engine is started, a calibration of the grille shutter system occurs, which typically takes 15-20 seconds. The grille shutter system performs the calibration sequence by detecting the end positions, open and closed. The calibration sequence can begin in either direction, open or closed, and continues until it is successful or a fault is sensed. A long pause may occur between the 2 portions (open/close) of the calibration sequence. Calibration of the grille shutter system cannot be manually requested, it only occurs as determined by the grille shutter actuator. If certain faults are present (shutter blocked or actuator error), a recalibration is initiated in an attempt to resolve the problem. If the problem is not resolved after a calibrated number of attempts (usually 3 or 4), a timer starts and sets a DTC when the timer reaches a predetermined limit. Other faults also trigger a recalibration request, but not until a grille shutter DTC is set in the PCM .

The PCM communicates the desired position (open or closed) of the grille shutter based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.). The PCM communicates to the grille shutter actuator via a LIN . The LIN supports bi-directional communication between the grille shutter actuator and PCM , allowing the grille shutter actuator to communicate position and fault information to the PCM .

The PCM sets grille shutter Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) when the fault information is communicated by the grille shutter actuator for a predetermined amount of time. Any failures of the LIN for over 10 seconds continuously results in the grille shutter actuator positioning the grille shutter fully open. There is no indication to the driver of the vehicle when a fault with the grille shutter system is present or a grille shutter DTC is set in the PCM .

Component Description

Grille Shutter Actuator

The grille shutter actuator is a smart motor which receives position requests from the PCM via the LIN . One of the grille shutter blinds connects to the grille shutter actuator using a retainer. The grille shutter actuator can be serviced individually or as an entire assembly, which includes the grille shutter, grille shutter actuator, retainer, housing and jumper harness.

Grille Shutter

The grille shutter is comprised of shutter blinds which are linked to each other. One of the individual shutter blinds is fixed to the grille shutter actuator. When the grille shutter actuator moves, it moves the attached shutter which causes the other linked shutters to move. The grille shutter is serviced as an assembly (individual shutter blinds are not serviceable) or as an entire assembly, which includes the grille shutter, grille shutter actuator, retainer, housing and jumper harness.
From the Factory Service Manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 22,723, Level 93
Points: 22,723, Level: 93 Points: 22,723, Level: 93 Points: 22,723, Level: 93
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 26 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Thanks
Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 392338
What I Drive: 2016 Focus ST

Points 32, Level 1
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Niton Good Standing Member
I'm re-hashing this thread.

Has anyone removed these shutters? I feel like the car would be better off from an intercooler standpoint to have these removed, the drawback being in winter climates--like we're still experiencing today--could cause the car to reach operating temperature considerably slower.

Is there any performance gain to remove these or is it more trouble than it's worth? TIA
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 16 FoST

Points 14,859, Level 79
Points: 14,859, Level: 79 Points: 14,859, Level: 79 Points: 14,859, Level: 79
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 31 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niton View Post
I'm re-hashing this thread.

Has anyone removed these shutters? I feel like the car would be better off from an intercooler standpoint to have these removed, the drawback being in winter climates--like we're still experiencing today--could cause the car to reach operating temperature considerably slower.

Is there any performance gain to remove these or is it more trouble than it's worth? TIA
anyone with an aftermarket intercooler has removed them for clearance. Can't speak for what it does to cold start days personally but I imagine it is just fine. It is mostly an MPG thing.

2016 Kona Blue Focus ST - current DD and cone killing machine

Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 337738
What I Drive: 2016 Corvette Z51

Points 1,776, Level 24
Points: 1,776, Level: 24 Points: 1,776, Level: 24 Points: 1,776, Level: 24
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 9 MK3 ST3 Good Standing Member
If you track your car, remove the shutters. It helps with cooling.

The issue with removing them is it does impact fuel economy. If you don't care about that then I'd yank them out.

When I replace my front bumper I'm removing mine.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

Points 8,977, Level 63
Points: 8,977, Level: 63 Points: 8,977, Level: 63 Points: 8,977, Level: 63
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 17 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 ST3 View Post
If you track your car, remove the shutters. It helps with cooling.

The issue with removing them is it does impact fuel economy. If you don't care about that then I'd yank them out.

When I replace my front bumper I'm removing mine.
I've had my ST for five years now. Never seen a hit to my fuel economy without the shutters.

Sent from another garage.
Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 337738
What I Drive: 2016 Corvette Z51

Points 1,776, Level 24
Points: 1,776, Level: 24 Points: 1,776, Level: 24 Points: 1,776, Level: 24
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 9 MK3 ST3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFocusedST View Post
I've had my ST for five years now. Never seen a hit to my fuel economy without the shutters.

Hmm, I've heard it drops 1-2 MPG off. I am lucky to get 25 MPG now, so when I take mine off I hope my MPG does not suffer.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

Points 8,977, Level 63
Points: 8,977, Level: 63 Points: 8,977, Level: 63 Points: 8,977, Level: 63
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 17 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 ST3 View Post
Hmm, I've heard it drops 1-2 MPG off. I am lucky to get 25 MPG now, so when I take mine off I hope my MPG does not suffer.
The best milage I had was with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil, Kumho 4X tires (oem size) on TSW Nurburgring wheels, Cxracing intercooler and a green filter. I was able to get 36MPG on the highway with my cruise set at 65MPH.

Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in