Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Focus RS (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-rs/)
-   -   Dealer Almost Voided My Warranty! (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-rs/711161-dealer-almost-voided-my-warranty.html)

R4Racin 11-11-2016 01:27 PM

Dealer Almost Voided My Warranty!

Yesterday I went in to get oil for my FIRST oil change in my new Focus RS RS2. Just past 1,000 miles. Went into the parts department at Lithia Ford in ROSEBURG and a amiable older guy asked to help me. He went in the back to get oil & filter so quick I didn't get a chance to ask him for a for a couple of extra quarts. When he brought out the oil and filter it was all in a little cardboard box. I apologized for asking him to go back and get two more quarts and as I did I pulled up one of the containers and I saw it was 5W-20 and not the spec'd 5W-50! That's not even close! I told him I thought it was supposed to be 50 and he just looked at me and said he didn't see anything in the computer so he just gave me that!

REALLY? He then questioned that it might be and so we went out and looked on the oil cap under the hood - 5W-50. Did he even apologize for trying top void my warranty? I don't know how that might have treated my turbocharger and the rest of the engine internals, but if something had happened, do you think the dealership would have said, "our fault?"

And people wonder why I change my own oil. What do they do in the shop? Add whatever is closest? Or whatever the parts guy gives them?

Besides the fact that I live about 75 miles away and if I had noticed before running it in my car, I would have had to wait (probably about 2 months) until the next time I go to Roseburg to exchange the 7 quarts of $9.40/qt oil!!!

I try to be nice, and was at the time. But the more I think about it, the sadder and more upset I get. Where do I take my car when I have to have it worked on? I obviously can't go here. The Service Department gets their parts from the Parts Department. [smackbum]

R4Racin at gmail

sailor 11-11-2016 01:36 PM

Moved to the Focus RS section for wider readership.

Good check, gotta match what you get with the requirements.

NOT a surprise however, that type has become std. for ALL the usual Ford models so handed out/used for ALL in many cases.

Focus ST owners have the SAME THING happen to them, even if the difference is less, and it regularly happened when the cars were new & dealerships hadn't seen them before. Oil change to the wrong spec. oil was quite common and you can see matching warning threads in the ST section.

pasta 12-01-2016 10:24 PM

Good Luck.

Mile30 12-02-2016 07:50 AM

I've noticed that working with older technicians; things were a lot more broad back in their time, so the tendency to be uber-specific must come across as nebbish.

Only we enthusiasts give the Focus a fair chance (it's funny because some have joked "It's an RS, NOT a Focus..."). It seems even the new one gets the same discount within the general public!

You WILL be the expert on what goes into the car, but you still have to deal with those that fix what you can't and all those between them and you... you'll be fine as long as you keep an eye out while you find and establish a rapport with the same service people. Good luck; at least you're waiting from the seat of an RS!!!

Miller88 12-02-2016 02:25 PM

For probably 14 years pretty much every gas model Ford used 5w-20 oil. Easy mistake to make.

pasta 12-06-2016 10:26 PM

This is why I change my own oil.

autolite 12-08-2016 09:22 PM

My Wife takes her 2010 Escape to Goodyear. I read receipt when she got home it said 5-30w.Called them there like opps do you want it changed to 5-20?? A yes for free. Think they could read the valve cover spec.5-20

pasta 12-09-2016 11:02 PM

Dont forget during winter they change viscosity. For all cars.

IngotMK3 12-09-2016 11:24 PM

Time for a new dealer.

felixthecat 12-10-2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller88 (Post 10327329)
For probably 14 years pretty much every gas model Ford used 5w-20 oil. Easy mistake to make.

Pretty much so^^^ To the op, Why go to the dealer to buy oil?